Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warranty almost up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Default warranty almost up?

Well fellows, I was tinkering around the car this weekend and found this. What alldata is calling the "rear tie rod bushing" For those whose warranty is almost up (Jon89) you might want to look at yours. The pics are of Joyces rear passenger side.

Attached Thumbnails warranty almost up?-jaguar-bushings-002.jpg   warranty almost up?-jaguar-bushings-001.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I can't tell from your photos what the issue is. Is your bushing cracking, splitting, collapsing, or what?

Thanks for the heads up - I've got a little more than two months left on my factory warranty....

Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

The bushing itself is cracked. I'll pull the wheel off and get a better picture for you.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. Are you still under warranty?

I sat down yesterday and firmed up my warranty punch list. There are eight items on it thus far, all of them relatively minor....

Last edited by Jon89; 05-11-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Our warranty was up before we purchased ours. So I do all the "warranty" work!! Anyhow I hope you'll get a better idea in the following pictures. Notice the upper goldish/brown bushing, it has the crack in it.

Attached Thumbnails warranty almost up?-jaguar-bushings-003.jpg   warranty almost up?-jaguar-bushings-004.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks - very clear and obvious photos with the wheel removed from the axle. I'll take a good look at our rear bushings next weekend and see what they look like and then post what I found, if anything....

No problems found with your front bushings (assuming the car has them)?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had mine replaced a couple months back along with my driver side shock bushing which were all torn... total cost to my extended warrenty company was over 5 grand. i paid 2 grand for my warrenty. so glad i went w the extended warrenty...and just last week my window motor took a **** so we will see this weekend how much that runs my company.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

joycesjag,

Man, I owe you a beer & a burger. Pulled the rear wheels this morning and both my left rear and right rear tie rod bushing assemblies look exactly like yours - the golden-brown bushings are cracked and crushed on both sides of the car at only 26,300 miles. I totally missed this when I rotated the tires back in late March. I was focusing on getting a good look at the brake pads, not the bushings - my bad....

I've already started another warranty punch list. I'll show this to my dealer service department next week when I take the car in to get the replacement Bluetooth microphone installed....

Per colombo's post above, is this really a multi-thousand dollar repair? I would assume that the only component needing replacement are the bushing assemblies. A few hundred bucks maybe, but not thousands ??

Old 05-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
joycesjag,

Man, I owe you a beer & a burger. Pulled the rear wheels this morning and both my left rear and right rear tie rod bushing assemblies look exactly like yours - the golden-brown bushings are cracked and crushed on both sides of the car at only 26,300 miles. I totally missed this when I rotated the tires back in late March. I was focusing on getting a good look at the brake pads, not the bushings - my bad....

I've already started another warranty punch list. I'll show this to my dealer service department next week when I take the car in to get the replacement Bluetooth microphone installed....

Per colombo's post above, is this really a multi-thousand dollar repair? I would assume that the only component needing replacement are the bushing assemblies. A few hundred bucks maybe, but not thousands ??
3400 in parts alone.. they had to replace a large part in my front left wheel well to replace that torn bushing but all together the price in parts sent to my warrenty company was 3400.. then the rental alignment service fees n all the rest of the jazz.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Ice cold Miller Lite and I like my burgers still moo-ing and hold the tomato.

Glad to help a fellow owner out!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

I'll remember that for when we finally manage to meet up somewhere....

In the meantime, are you going to replace your bushings, or have you already done so?

I'm playing phone tag with my Service Advisor this morning. I took photos just as you did and e-mailed them to him so he'll quickly be able to see what we're talking about and can then source the required parts before I bring the car in for the actual service. When I get further information on what's involved in this replacement and what it supposedly costs (I'm still under warranty so the cost is for the benefit of you guys already beyond your warranty), I'll post it here. Surely this fix involves just replacing the two bushing assemblies (as long as you don't have any bent or broken suspension parts other than the bushings). The entire assembly looks fairly accessible to me by simply removing the top and bottom nut and bolt....

Old 05-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Update:

Our local Jaguar service department calls these bushing assemblies "stabilizer links". New ones for both rear wheels of our car were not in stock so they were ordered today. Should be at the dealership by Wednesday, so the car is scheduled for Thursday morning. I was told that the out-of-pocket cost to me would have been no more than a couple hundred bucks, not thousands. We're under warranty so no cost to me on this set....

Last edited by Jon89; 05-18-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Jon,

A couple hundred bucks is a lot more reasonable. Just looking at the assemblies and it looks fairly easy to replace, basically a nut and bolt job. Luckily, mine are still in good shape, although these may require periodic inspection.

Mike

Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, from now on I'll inspect these bushings every time I rotate my tires. Live and learn....

Old 05-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a little FYI:

I took my car in two weeks ago because my A/C was blowing hot. So Jaguar calls me up last week and tells me that I need a new transmission. If it was any other dealership I would have called them a bunch of crooks and taken my car back, but a good friend of mine happens to be working on the car. So this is the long and short of what happened to my car (all in one month). First two of my motor mounts broke, which caused my engine to start jumping up and down, which caused a hard line for my A/C to stretch and brake, then my transmission started to lurch and surge, then my converter started flashing when leaving stop signs.

So now I have a repair bill of $8,600 for the transmission (covered by the warranty) then another $1,400 bill for the motor mounts and A/C hard line (not covered by the warranty) then another $1,000 bill for the fluid which are also not covered by the warranty.. Regardless I still love my car, I love all of my cars, its just another minor set-back. The main reason I'm telling you guys this, is because I would be looking at a $10k+ bill if I had not had a warranty.

So the moral of the story ladies and gentlemen is that if your car is indeed out of warranty, hurry up and purchase an aftermarket one! One replacement ZF transmission alone will run you just under nine grand. I haven't had my baby for 2 weeks now because I opted to not use one of the 4 local dealerships down here and instead took it to one 120 miles away where I have friends, but hopefully when I get it back it will be better than new. My warranty company regrettably is going to cover the majority of the bill, but I suspect that soon they are going to raise the price of Jaguar warranties. I paid $2k for mine and it's already about to pay for itself 5 times over.

Let me reiterate that I'm still in love with my STR and short of catching on fire I always will be. Eric

Last edited by whiteSTR; 05-19-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Always appreciate your insight. But I have to wonder how many of your various problems are directly attributable to the way you drive your car (pretty much like a Formula One car, I think)!!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Always appreciate your insight. But I have to wonder how many of your various problems are directly attributable to the way you drive your car (pretty much like a Formula One car, I think)!!
It's an STR, it should be driven that way..... Now my V6....Let's just say I will be putting my warranty to the test.....

Old 05-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't think I would have bought my second Jag if my first one didn't have the ext warranty.Paid for itself many times over.My 03 Expedition ran out the ext warranty and never used it once.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

WHITE: I have been searching for an aftermarket warranty, do you mind telling me who you have yours with and what kind of plan? Before I drop a couple grand I'd like to know that Im not buying a POS policy. I have heard too many warranty horror stories to not do my due dilligence in shopping for a good company/policy. Thank man

Quick Reply: warranty almost up?