S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF 6HP26 information...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default ZF 6HP26 information...

I got the following detail from the Australian Ford Forum; it may well help someone in trouble with this autobox, or better understand it.

ZF 6HP26 (RWD) Transmission
Transmission Control System Architecture
The ZF 6HP26 is a 6-speed, step ratio transmission that is controlled by a standalone Transmission Control
Module (TCM), The TCM communicates to the Engine Control Module (ECM), ABS Module, Instrument Cluster
and Transfer Case Control Module using the high speed CAN communication link. The TCM incorporates a
standalone OBD-II system. The TCM independently processes and stores fault codes, freeze frame, supports
industry-standard PIDs as well as J1979 Mode 09 CALID and CVN. The TCM does not directly illuminate the MIL,
but requests the ECM to do so.

The TCM is located inside the transmission assembly. It is not serviceable with the exception of reprogramming.
Transmission Inputs
Transmission Range Sensor
The non-contacting, Hall effect Transmission Range (TR) sensor provides four digital inputs to the TCM. Each 4-bit
pattern corresponds to the driver-selected gear position (Park, Rev, Neutral, D6, D4, 3, 2, 1). The 4-bit pattern is
checked for invalid combinations (P0705).

Speed Sensors
The Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS) sensor and Output Shaft Speed (OSS) sensor are Hall effect sensors.
The Turbine Shaft Speed sensor is monitored for circuit faults and rationality (P0715, P0717). If turbine shaft speed
exceeds a maximum calibrated speed (7,700 rpm), a fault is stored (P0716). If engine speed and output shaft
speed are high and a gear is engaged, it can be inferred that the vehicle is moving. If there is insufficient output
from the TSS sensor a fault is stored (P0716).

The Output Shaft Speed sensor is monitored for circuit faults and rationality (P0720, P0722). If output shaft speed
exceeds a maximum calibrated speed (7,450 rpm), a fault is stored (P0721). If output shaft speed does not
correlate with turbine shaft speed and wheel speed while a gear is engaged and the vehicle is moving, a fault is
stored (P0721).
If the output shaft speed decreases at an erratic/unreasonable rate, a fault is stored (P0723).
Transmission Fluid Temperature
The Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor is checked for open circuit, short circuit to ground, short circuit to
power, and short circuit of the sensor (P0711, P0712, P0713, P0714). The transmission fluid temperature is
checked for an erratic signal (P0714) and is also compared with the internal TCM temperature sensor as a
rationality check (P0711).
Transmission Outputs

Shift Solenoids

The Shift Solenoid output circuits are duty-cycled outputs that are checked electrically for open circuit, short circuit
to ground and short circuit to power by monitoring the status of a feedback circuit from the output driver (SSA -
P0973, P0974; SSB - P0976, P0977; SSC - P0979, P0980; SSD - P0982, P0983; SSE - P0770, P0985, P0986).
In addition, during steady states, the current flow through the Variable Force Shift Solenoids is calculated based on
a current feedback signal and compared with a target current value (SSA low current - P0972; SSB high current -
P0975; SSC low current - P0978; SSD high current - P0981).
The shift solenoids are functionally monitored through gear ratio and shift monitoring. The actual gear ratio versus
the expected gear ratio is monitored. If there is a mismatch, a fault is stored (1st gear - P0731; 2nd gear - P0732; 3rd
gear - P0733; 4th gear - P0734; 5th gear - P0735; 6th gear - P0729; reverse gear - P0736). Shifts are also
monitored. If the ratio characteristics do not change properly during a shift (rpm does not go down during an upFORD
shift, rpm does not go up during a down-shift, or rpm flares during an up-shift), a fault is stored (1-2/2-1 shift -
P0781; 2-3/3-2 shift - P0782; 3-4/4-3 shift - P0783; 4-5/5-4 shift - P0784; 5-6/6-5 shift - P0829).

Torque Converter Clutch

The Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid output circuit is a duty-cycled output that is checked electrically for
open circuit, short circuit to ground, and short circuit to power by monitoring the status of a feedback circuit from the
output driver (P0740, P2763, P2764). If the TCC pressure is high and the engine torque is low, the TCC should be
fully applied or have a controlled amount of slippage. If the slip exceeds a threshold, a fault is stored (P0741).

Pressure Control
The Pressure Control solenoid is a variable force solenoid that controls line pressure in the transmission. The
Pressure Control solenoid output circuit is a duty-cycled output that is checked electrically for short circuit to ground
or short circuit to battery by monitoring the status of a feedback circuit from the output driver (P0962, P0963).
Note that the Pressure Control Solenoid failures P0960 and P0963 do not illuminate the MIL because the
diagnostic action (maximum line pressure) does not affect emissions.
High Side Actuator Control Circuit
The TCM has a high side actuator supply control circuit that can be used to remove power from all 7 solenoids and
the external Reverse Light Relay simultaneously. If the high side actuator control circuit is deactivated, all 7
solenoids and the external Reverse Light Relay will be electrically turned off, providing Park, Reverse, Neutral, and
3M/5M (in all forward ranges) with maximum line pressure, based on the selected transmission range. The
actuator control circuit is tested for open and short circuits to power and ground. (P0657, P0658, P0659).

Transmission Control Module (TCM)

The TCM monitors itself by using a watchdog circuit and by various software monitoring functions. If there is a fault,
a P0613 is stored. The flash ROM is checked using a checksum calculation. If the checksum is incorrect, a P0605
fault will be stored. The EEPROM is emulated in the flash ROM. If it is not possible to store information in the
EEPROM emulation or if the verification fails, a P062F fault is stored and the ECM is requested to illuminate the
MIL immediately. If the diagnostic software tries to enter two contradictory failure mode strategies or if there are
contradictory output states commanded versus the expected output states, a P0701 fault is stored.
CAN Communications Error
The TCM receives information from the ECM via the high speed CAN network. If the CAN link or network fails, the
TCM no longer has torque or engine speed information available. The TCM will store a U0073 fault code and will
illuminate the MIL immediately (missing engine speed) if the CAN Bus is off. The TCM will store a U0100 fault code
and will illuminate the MIL immediately (missing engine speed) if it stops receiving CAN messages from the ECM.
If the engine speed from the ECM is unreasonably high (> 6,000 rpm), a P0219 fault will be stored.
Internal Over Temperature
If the TCM internal temperature sensor indicates an over temperature condition, the TCM will shut down and a fault
will be stored (P0634). The MIL will be illuminated immediately.
Internal TCM Power Supply
If the power supply voltage is outside of the specified 9 to 16 volt range, a fault will be stored (P0562, P0563).
Sensor Supply Voltage
If the sensor supply voltage is too high or too low, a fault will be stored (P0641).
A number of carmakers use the 6HP26 autobox, as in the preamble this one is Ford.
Cheers mate!
Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 09-15-2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: addition
The following 4 users liked this post by Leedsman:
beulahjag (04-03-2018), johnhorgan (06-03-2021), JS NZ (11-29-2022), User 42324 (08-19-2021)
Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 PM

This site has lots of stuff re. S-type, inc. some movie clips...
http://www.kosmix.com/topic/jaguar_s...--and--Updates
Leedsman.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Awesome info!

Old 09-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Just bear in mind that the DTCs are when it has the Ford calibration. Some will likely be the same with jag's calibration but don't rely on it

More details are on jag's site (GTR / TOPIx).

Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 PM

X

Last edited by Leedsman; 09-15-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Old 04-01-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default S-type 4.2SE transmission ZF6HP26 issues

Following "Leedsman" links gave me some confidence to my transmission issues.
I had a radiator filament leak some while back I'd say about October 2017 so 5 months. Eventually decided to replace with an OEM product and jolly good it turned out to be. On this replacement the transmission fluid is also pumped through the radiator section for I guess cooling as is fed to the radiator housing with the two aluminium banana pipes and mid section pressure fitted nylon woven rubber pipes back to the transmission block section. Well all good and topped up pipes before reconnecting to radiator and filled radiator Transmission reservoir on-board the radiator so hopefully erasing any air blockage in the chambers when starting back up oh! and box at the drain/filler hole driver side rear of flat pan filter on bottom of the ZF Box. Ran to temperature and topped up and in fairness a few leaks but these self fixed and all was fine ( will need to replace these but they are expensive for what they are and finding a V8 set is a bit like hens teeth...Lol. I had a few ABS C1165/4 error OBD reads and cleaned wheel sensors (rear L&R) and metered them which seemed fine and dandy they metered each out at Ohm setting 20K @ 5.48 a piece or there about so no open circuit and no high resistance that it couldn't handle back to the ECM gate. However last week sat stationary at level crossing awaiting passing train and then selected to pull away and the car did a really heavy Lurch with a clonk and up came the ABS, DSC and then holy smoke Gearbox Fault. I limped home nursing every step and noted the revs were sliding high to achieve at least a reasonable travel speed of around 20/5 mph.
Did some research and it showed me errors of actual P0701 (new) and C1165 again on the later. Bought a new pair of Sensors to replace and decided to check Fluid level in transmission. Jacked the car this time after running to temperature so it slanted away from the filler whole and expected to have no fluid release. Wrong, I emptied best part of 500ml so it trickled from the box. Went for a drive, ABS DSC cleared, Gearbox Fault now perm on MIL dash. Slowly nursed it back and on to the driveway and yes every operation of selecting P -2 -R Clonk R - 2 - N smooth N - 2 - D Clonk & when driving it sped up but selecting down the box from Drive thru 4,3, - 2 etc no change and no kick down although I guess a bit Cautious on wanting to give it welly at this stage so probably didn't effect a kick strong enough but disappointing to say the least.
Spent another hour on forums and looking for some form of explanation I could gather from my findings and then came across the Leedsman link which gave a huge explanation on the whole transmission function what it calls on what it expects and the sets and sets of Codes it produces. Very informative. Decided I'd double check the codes and went to vehicle to set the OBD read again this time whilst I was pre-occupied looking for the codes I glimpsed the MIL on dash and saw my Mileage...........Only!!! Thought can't be right so lets start and see if the gears clonk on selection and I was bowled over they entered smoothly from P - 2 - R acid test lets try R - 2 - N Smooth and N -2 - D ............Smooth. So will take it for a run tomorrow and report but I have no clue other than it was over filled and just decided to through a wobbly or that the Wheel sensor did go glitch and sent a read back on DTC that ECM flustered over and through the Gearbox Performance issue on the screen before it went to Gearbox Fault proper. My fingers "X" for a smooth transmission again but if anyone can throw any light on why it might have gone this route then I am all ears. Thanks for all those that have contributed their stories and experience it is hugely helpful for fellow Jagurrr's like me to put some extra pieces into the puzzle pictures we all experience from time to time.

Thanks hope to hear from anyone informed on this question of mine. Does over filling take tie to create an issue or is it just ??

Old 04-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

If done properly it's very hard (I'm tempted by impossible) to overfill the ZF 6HP26 but fairly easy to underfill.

Any fault such as ABS can upset the engine (or the engine can have a fault and be upset) and then in turn as posted often can upset the trans. Fix the original fault and the trans will be happy.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2003 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6 limp mode then p0705

jgsisto , Today 09:15 PM - permalink
I own a 2003 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6 and lately the last 2 months it's been triggering off a p0705 and it's driving me nuts first it goes into limp mode then engine light comes on when I use my diagnostic tool it says p0705 which is the trans mission range sensor or neutral safety switch and it's built into the shifter which was replaced four and a half years ago and only driven 28,000 miles on the new shifter.
I went to two mechanics already and they checked the fluid added two quarts of fluid to it drove it around and it still happened.
Both mechanics don't think it's the shifter but I need someone here that had this problem and what did they do please help?
Also when this happens, the shifter D is not illuminatedand when you shift the shifter in park, it says D not P; the shifter then is stuck and in order to get it to move you must shut car off and restart. The shifter is back to normal but the codes are P1111 and P0705. The P1111 i know about which is fine but the P0705 is my problem.
joe

Last edited by jgsisto; 08-05-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 503 Posts

jgsisto: Did your mechanics check the two bolts that attach the selector cable to the side of the transmission? My S-type lost one bolt and the other became bent from being loose. The indicated/illuminated selector ranges did not match up. This is always the first place to look... In my case I had specifically asked by Indy to check these bolts at the last service and they said they did... NOT !!

More on your P0705:

P0705 Jaguar Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction – CarObdCode.Com

The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 06:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your response with your answer I'm going to bring the car back sometime next week and I will ask them and hopefully that's it but would you believe right now the car is running beautiful and and all the years I have this car which is seven and a half the engine light was on with the code p0705 and the next day it completely went out the engine light I drove the car over 50 miles yesterday and it ran beautiful didn't go into limp mode nothing and the engine light went off by itself I've never seen that ever on this car usually the engine light stays on regardless I was shocked so something is going on here but thank you and I'll keep you posted on what you told me.