S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Hazey" Headlamps - A remedy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "Hazey" Headlamps - A remedy?

ORIGINAL: JimC64

Hey there TBG.........just a thought.
Before you try the wet sand method, which does a fantastic job, but is a ton of work.
Why not try some good ole fashioned elbow grease with T Cut. If it don't work you have nuthin to lose other than a few $ to buy the product?
Just a thought mate

Jim
Jim, Yeah, but, I can try it, but whatis T Cut?Is that the brand name?
Any more info?

TBG

Old 08-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

So, I thought I'd try out the process. $15 at Advance Auto Parts and about 30 minutes to an hour of work! Much better lighting at night, and the end result isn't GREAT, but it's MUCH better than before! She's always been a beaut, but now she screams it!
BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

Name:  100_1372.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  127.1 KB

Old 08-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  7.4 KB

Brilliant!....Good job Biggie
Now lets see how the other guys get on with the same process?
Some more follow up shots before / during / after from TBG and others would be good too.
I'm thinking as a few members have asked this question I will repost with just the link, lock and FAQ.

Jim

Old 08-11-2007, 02:31 PM

bigdreams, that looks awesome!!....i'll try it as soon as i can.. i'll keep you guys posted.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the compliments gents! BTW, the pics don't give em justice! Much nicer in person! The light output has changed immensely, but...I still want brighter lights! HID's might be the next step after I complete my current big project with the 240sx!

Old 08-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I am on a government PC, I cant see the pics but I have the same problem. I already tried one product which did nothing for me. Are they actually "clear" or did they just get better? Personally I would rather just buy new lights(not at $369.00 per side) than to keep purchasing bs. Does anyone know of a solution to make them look brand new or a site I wont have to pay $700+ for a new set? Any help will be appreciated folks!

Old 11-05-2007, 10:30 AM

ORIGINAL: mlongo2005

hello tallblond guy.i live in clearwater florida,i have been detailing cars for over 20 years.the new plastic style headlights are definitely a burden to cars and the owners.there is a cheap remedy.first of all,it does cost around 80 dollars to fix if you go see a detailer,but beware there is a 3 step process that i gaurantee none of them .<<..........>>..hope this helps you guys.please do not mess it up,headlights are expensive and i will help anyone out that needs it.feel free to contact me at anytime at ...mlongo2005@yahoo.com.........
Mlongo, thanks for the advice....I've been in school and had little or no time to even log on here,much less respond, so sorry for the delay.I take your advice to heart.Gonna try it this coming weekend. I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out, and I'll try to take pics as well.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about clear coating the lenses after polishing them, would this help to reseal them or would it melt or damage them?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Badmojo
I'm not too familiar with clear coating the lenses, but my bet is that wouldn't be a good idea. There is a special type coating that they use on headlights to help prevent hazing from happening, and also the yellowing effect that you may not be familiar to anyone here just yet.

I'm from FL too, and I had the same problem on my Lexus SC400. I can give you the full rundown depending on the level of damage to the headlights to make them look brand new. But since I don't have photos of your headlights, I'll just go based off of what everyone else has mentioned.

A proper wet sand, (I recommend a 2-3 part process, of couse using a very fine paper) before using Meguiar's Plastx works wonders. I used it and gave a little TLC to it while rubbing down the lense between each level of sanding. Mine came out looking great!!!!

If you'vr had the love tap courtesy of some old person in Florida like I have, you might also face issues with condensation depending on the weather. In that case, you may have to go with the good old process of resealing with black silicone gel. If that's the case I can give you a more detailed walk through with photos etc. of the process. Hope that helps out.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this product for my Lexus I use to own withdull plastic lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA...6998QQtcZphoto

It worked pretty good. Basically it has a couple of different rubbing compounds with different ratios.

It does make difference. Check the pic.

Theres another one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dull-...QQcmdZViewItem

Never tried this one.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2319/5B27B3BC9AAF4C48B2705B613C84528B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 AM

My logic is that if their hazing then the coating is probably worn thru and if not the sanding would take the coating off.
The clear coat would be just to reseal them. I wonder if there isn't something specifically for headlamp lenses?

Old 11-07-2007, 02:21 AM

Here is someting that I found in an article about sanding headlamp lenses.

After polishing plastic headlights, some CarSpace members have found that the lens often haze over much quicker than they did originally. This is reportedly because the manufacturer coats the lens with a protective layer. Polishing will remove this protective layer. Some of the headlight polishing kits have a final coating you put on after polishing. Or you can use a product like 303 Aerospace Protectant or paste wax. This treatment may help the repair last longer.Hope this helps!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:01 PM

Sorry for the delay,,, I did it,,, bought a kit from a local dude,,, used mydrill as apolisher,,, it's a 3 step process for sanding,,, polish, then clear sealer (to slow the hazing process going forward).

I can't promise I'll include pics, but they look fantastic...of couse, now I'm dealing with other issues regarding my freakin cheap Jaguar headlights (mumbling cuss-words under my breath but I won't post them here so Jim won't kick me off) ...(see other posts)...but at least they look new!

Thanks for all your feedback guys!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  6.4 KB

Hey TBG...............nice to see you around again.
Great that you did your looks and I'm glad you're pleased with them........pics would be great

mumbling cuss words.....?...........lol.........I can imagine, trust me!

Jim

Old 03-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.myheadlight.com/index.html
Well I decide to go ahead and purchaseCrystal ViewHeadlight Restorationto see if it will restore my headlights. I will try to go ahead and take before and after pictures. The product was around $20, it was one of the only ones that came with sealant after removing the UV film. It comes with a Lifetime Warranty ans a 30 day Money Back Guarantee.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 AM

Well here is the before......

Old 03-15-2008, 11:24 AM

product.......

masked of the paint......

after..........

So for the $20 I recommend it .......[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-15-2008, 07:40 PM

Big difference! I'd try it.

Quick Reply: "Hazey" Headlamps - A remedy?