S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**official** intake elbow group buy thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Finally uploaded some pics of my Mafioso install with the T-clamps.

The clamps are rotated in a manner that allows the hood to close and the plastic engine cover to be refitted. There is very minimal contact with the T-clamp and insulating hood liner - I noticed two little slits in the liner from the top of the clamps on the manifold side. To address this, I simply flattened the top of the T-clamps. They have sharp little protrustions on each side, a few quick taps with a mallet and they are flat and no longer poke the insulation.

I also added a hose clamp to provide additional security for the PCV hose barb connection on the valve cover.

So far very pleased with the intake! Looks good, sounds great.

Attached Thumbnails **official** intake elbow group buy thread-intake-6-.jpg   **official** intake elbow group buy thread-intake.jpg   **official** intake elbow group buy thread-intake-4-.jpg   **official** intake elbow group buy thread-intake-5-.jpg   **official** intake elbow group buy thread-intake-1-.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by The Chris X:
bfsgross (03-29-2011), Dimension247 (03-30-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Beautiful. Hate the clamps though.....

Old 03-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

I'm on the fence about the clamps. Trimmed up would be better for sure.

The only one that I wouldn't put a worm drive clamp on is the top one on the manifold side - it mates the oval shaped manifold intake to the round Mafioso intake. It took a good bit of crankin' on that T clamp to make me satisfied it was a good sturdy connection.

I might paint the clamps black.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good, Chris X! Are we all sure there's no air leaks around the manifold intake due to the oval/round mating - especially at WO throttle? Mafioso? Also, which hose you talking about that you put extra clamps on? Can't wait for mine!

On the fence whether I like the plastic cover on or off...pffft.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StypeR
Looking good, Chris X! Are we all sure there's no air leaks around the manifold intake due to the oval/round mating - especially at WO throttle? Mafioso? Also, which hose you talking about that you put extra clamps on? Can't wait for mine!

On the fence whether I like the plastic cover on or off...pffft.
Thanks, but credit goes to Mafioso for the looks.

I am very confident there are no air leaks with these T-clamps. The clamping force is very good, the clamps are wide, and the rubber connectors are very snug on the intake and manifold sides even without the clamps. If there is any unmetered air sneaking in there, it ain't enough to do anything IMHO.

I put a worm drive hose clamp on the vac line from the valve cover to the intake. This is where some had reported the rubber fitting had split.

You can see the fitting in this pic on the right hand side. It has a zip tie on it in this pic, but I replaced it with a hose clamp later on.

Attached Thumbnails **official** intake elbow group buy thread-intake-2-.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Here is a pic of it clamped. I did this after mine split and I got a new one and its been fine ever since.

Attached Thumbnails **official** intake elbow group buy thread-clamp.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I started to send the little hose clamp for the PCV fitting, and everyone will get the NORMA fitting once I locate them.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks Chris X and Vance! Will take pics of mine when done as well! USPS - hurry up already!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
Here is a pic of it clamped. I did this after mine split and I got a new one and its been fine ever since.
Ive been meaning to take a pic of mine but have been super busy. I had one of those since installed and I haven't had a single problem.

thanks for posting the pic!!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:23 PM

Mafioso do you still have any left over BEST elbows with T-clamps? I'm interested in one. If there are none left do you plan to do another run anytime soon?
Did anyone order and install the Riski Red.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dimension247
Mafioso do you still have any left over BEST elbows with T-clamps? I'm interested in one. If there are none left do you plan to do another run anytime soon?
Did anyone order and install the Riski Red.

Im trying to get another thread started with the requests, so I can keep track properly.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:58 AM

Mafioso, im also interested in a "best" intake.. i noticed a member received a very bright red one... are custom colors xtra?? if so, how much? id like mine in Dodger Blue please .. please keep me posted. thanks.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 PM

Got mine this afternoon! Thanks, Mafioso! I want to do this myself but anybody know how to remove that black plastic engine cover? I searched on here and couldn't find anything. I'm thinking it's pretty simple, right? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StypeR
Got mine this afternoon! Thanks, Mafioso! I want to do this myself but anybody know how to remove that black plastic engine cover? I searched on here and couldn't find anything. I'm thinking it's pretty simple, right? Thanks in advance!
Should just lift up. Its not bolted or anything just slips in some tabs. Gentle pull got mine off. Its hanging in the garage now like the looks without it.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 PM

Thanks Vance! That''s what I thought but needed some input! I can't wait for tomorrow...doing it right now! haha..

Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Yea I've heard a few people that its a little tight cause the little rubber piece that it slips into will swell a little making you think its bolted or something so just pull it a little harder and it will eventually come off.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 AM

Got the cover off..decided to clean the engine first. how do you remove the OEM PCV hose on the valve cover?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

[quote=StypeR]Hey Vance,

In case anyone else is having trouble with remove this hose here are some pics that hopefully will help people. There is a ring at the bottom part of it. You have to squeeze each side of it to get the other two sides to clear the lip on the valve cover its the same on the intake side. If you look at these pics there is a ribbed portion that if you push those it will let the tabs clear the lip.
Here you can see the 2 tabs that lock it in place.

Here is the indents that you need to push.

This is how you would squeeze and it will make that ring oval letting the tabs clear then you should be able to pull up.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Here's mine installed. Waiting on the rest of the T-clamps (thanks Mafioso!). Butt dyno feels a better throttle response and faster revs. Will try to get a video soon.

All in all, workmanship is excellent on the product - if there is one thing to nitpick on is that maybe the weld on the tube could be on the underside? But like I said, that's just nitpicking and looks great as it it. I cannot believe how "complicated" that OEM intake is.

I'm open to suggestions whether to paint it or leave it as it is. And still back and forth as to whether to put the plastic valve cover back.

Attached Thumbnails **official** intake elbow group buy thread-str-intake-01-sm.jpg   **official** intake elbow group buy thread-str-intake-07.jpg   **official** intake elbow group buy thread-str-intake-10.jpg   **official** intake elbow group buy thread-str-intake-08.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Leave it polished and take a alum. polishing wheel and a drill to the intercoolers

Quick Reply: **official** intake elbow group buy thread