S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 S type Radiator hoses...replacement part question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 S type Radiator hoses...replacement part question

So there's a leak in my one of my hoses..I don't know much about cars..that's the reason I'm asking for you guy's help. Anyway I was looking for some replacement hoses online my car is the v8 4.0 engine...I was wondering if the hose from a v6 3.0 would fit if it's from the same year and model?

I'm not sure the exact hose it is..I believe he said a high pressure hose (he's going to call me back with the part #), but before I go to the dealership and have to purchase the part, Im looking around online to see if I can find it for cheaper. Anyway back to the original question does anyone know if the hoses from the v6 (s type) radiator can replace the ones on the v8 (s type)??

Old 02-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

SoGirlish,

The direct answer to your question is a pretty certain "very unlikely".

On the other hand, this answer might be much more useful to you and your mechanic...

I might be a little unpopular here for suggesting this. But if you look around your Jag you will find a good number of Ford parts. On your year the chassis and powertrain are very similar to those in the Lincoln LS and the Ford Thunderbird.

Some won't believe this (or just do not want to).

But check out this website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_LS

Look at the first table. Lincoln did not put a 4.0L in their cars. But they did put a 3.9L engine in. From everything I have read, the engines are nearly identical except for the bore size of the cylinders.

Also check out the part of this article on the AJ30/AJ35 builds of these engines about half way down in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

What I would suggest you do is get the leaking hose from your mechanic, take it to an Autozone or other parts store. Tell them it is the upper or lower hose from your car. Good chance they will not find a hose for your Jag in the computer. So ask them to look at the '00 Lincoln LS with the 3.9L engine for a matching hose.

There is a >90% chance they will be a match. You can tell just by holding them up to each other....

Assuming they do match, you will save $$$$$ and probably time by going this route (if you are like me, since there is not a Jag dealer within 70 miles of me).

I hope this helps. Please come back and tell us if you find a matching hose via this method.

Thanks. Bug Doc

Old 02-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Jag made various changes. If they decided to change the hose (like maybe re-route it), then the above won't work BUT well worth trying.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,212 Posts

IfI might make a suggestion as well, I can't answer your question but if you are going to replace one hose I would consider replacing both.

Here is a link to napa auto parts with radiator hoses, if these are not the ones check other "big box" auto parts stores online.
http://www.napaautoparts.com/Search/...+50037+2037025

Last edited by joycesjag; 02-03-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Jag made various changes. If they decided to change the hose (like maybe re-route it), then the above won't work BUT well worth trying.
Autozone's online search is not showing top or bottom radiator hoses for the '00 4.0L S-type of the '00 3.9L Linclon LS. That does not mean they will not have them or be able to order them...

This subject of Ford parts in a Jaguar just messes with peoples' minds... but here is another example.

Check out those part numbers... But take your hose (Or whatever part you are looking for) with you so you can match them up.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the help guys..turns out it's actually worst than though. Blown head gasket...dealer gave me a price of $3900 to repair it. A guy I know that's really good with foreign cars gave me a price of $2000 to repair it. I guess the blown head gasket is what cause the leak in the cooling system. I'm just blown by the whole thing. No pun intended. Thanks again for the help fellas.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

More likely it's the other way around. Check your hoses as well. If they are leaking, then the loss of coolant over time could have caused your blown head gasket....

Yet another reason to routinely check your coolant level along with your oil level and tire pressures every weekend. A quick visual inspection can save you thousands of dollars in repair bills if you catch leaks early on....

Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Yeah...I have myself to blame. I'm going to get the repair work done and take this as a leasson learned. My boyfriend always told me to make sure I got my fluid levels check more often but you know how women are when it comes to cars.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Learn to check them yourself. You can check all fluids and all four tire pressures in less than three minutes. Time very well spent, as you've unfortunately just learned....

Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sogirlish
Thanks for the help guys..turns out it's actually worst than though. Blown head gasket...dealer gave me a price of $3900 to repair it. A guy I know that's really good with foreign cars gave me a price of $2000 to repair it. I guess the blown head gasket is what cause the leak in the cooling system. I'm just blown by the whole thing. No pun intended. Thanks again for the help fellas.
Don't know how many miles you have on the Jag. I blew a head gasket in another vehicle a few months back. The tell tale sign is that the oil starts looking like paste or margarine since the coolant goes into the block.

If it ran to long it may have damaged the bearings in the bottom end. The problem is that you cannot tell until you get the engine out and apart.

I decided to put a rebuilt engine in with a 100,000 mile warranty on it. The price was about the same as having the head gasket replaced on mine. Replacing the head gasket also does not ensure or warranty the bottom end of the engine was not damaged. If you did not drive it too far with coolant in the oil, you may be alright.

JM2cents worth.