S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 S-Type sunroof won't move

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 S-Type sunroof won't move

i just got a s type jaguar and the sunroof seem not to work.. you can hear the motor of the sunroof when u press the bottom to try to close/open it but it doesn't move at all.. i tried pushing it up and everything but it doesnt seem to work. what could be the problem?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:18 PM

also my passenger side window wont go down or up.. how much would it cost to fix that?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 8,104 Likes on 4,889 Posts

Unfortunately the X200 (2000-2002) S-Type sliding roof is one of the most difficult to repair because the motor is fastened from the TOP.

The frame must be lowered at the front to gain access to the fasteners.

The faulty window regulators are a common fault and is an easy fix.

bob gauff

Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Unfortunately the X200 (2000-2002) S-Type sliding roof is one of the most difficult to repair because the motor is fastened from the TOP.

The frame must be lowered at the front to gain access to the fasteners.

The faulty window regulators are a common fault and is an easy fix.

bob gauff
darn how much you think it will cost to get them repaired?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Dat'Boi Bueno
i just got a s type jaguar and the sunroof seem not to work.. you can hear the motor of the sunroof when u press the bottom to try to close/open it but it doesn't move at all.. i tried pushing it up and everything but it doesnt seem to work. what could be the problem?
It could be possible your sunroof is off track, or a piece of debris is preventing operation if your lucky. Typically, the cables often get stretched and render the sunroof inoperative, needing a total replacement as there are no servicable parts on the sunroof, except the motor and sunroof cable module, which could also be an issue.

You would need to source a replacement sunroof unit and take it to a shop specializing in auto upholstry - headliner repairs/replacement - to access the sunroof - the headliner has to be dropped down and I believed removed from the vehicle to ease removal/installation. As far as costs - $300 - $400 for a used sunroof on Ebay or junkyard - try to score one with the motor and module attached. As far as replacement costs to install replacement sunroof - $400 - $600 dependent on shop selection. Not easy task to do.

For now - best bet is to remove the sunroof glass panel (pull out both sight shields - they disconnect from the front exposing 4 allen bolts - un-screw and remove glass) and check the tracks from the top of the vehicle for debris and to ensure the rails are on the track. I had a similar issue and found debris on one of the tracks, a cracked part, which I repaired w/ crazy glue, lubed both tracks and moving parts with lithium grease and NO issues since then - smooth operation - this is AFTER purchasing a replacemnet sunroof. Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Received 8,104 Likes on 4,889 Posts

I have no idea how much because I don't know what is damaged and I have no idea what country you are in. Good used parts are less expensive if a good repair shop is willing to use them. The window regulators are a common fault and should be available NEW at a reasonable cost.

Lincoln LS window regulators will fit and are probably less expensive.

bob gauff

Old 09-26-2022, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I have no idea how much because I don't know what is damaged and I have no idea what country you are in. Good used parts are less expensive if a good repair shop is willing to use them. The window regulators are a common fault and should be available NEW at a reasonable cost.

Lincoln LS window regulators will fit and are probably less expensive.

bob gauff

I have a 2005 stype R. Do you think the Lincoln ls regulator would fit for drivers rear window?

Old 09-26-2022, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 630 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by LizSmall
I have a 2005 stype R. Do you think the Lincoln ls regulator would fit for drivers rear window?
If I recall correctly, the Lincoln regulators cross over to the pre-facelift S-type only. Your 2005 is post-facelift, so I do not believe an easy fit is in the cards for you.

Others may correct me if I am wrong...

BTW, next time a new thread would be advisable, as opposed to tacking your query on the end of an ancient thread with an unrelated subject title.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:19 PM

I was having the same problem with my sunroof which is how I came across this thread. The original poster also asked about windows. Someone else mentioned using Lincoln ls regulators so my question wasn’t off topic it was all in this one thread.

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
If I recall correctly, the Lincoln regulators cross over to the pre-facelift S-type only. Your 2005 is post-facelift, so I do not believe an easy fit is in the cards for you.

Others may correct me if I am wrong...

BTW, next time a new thread would be advisable, as opposed to tacking your query on the end of an ancient thread with an unrelated subject title.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LizSmall
I was having the same problem with my sunroof which is how I came across this thread. The original poster also asked about windows. Someone else mentioned using Lincoln ls regulators so my question wasn’t off topic it was all in this one thread.
No, you weren't O/T; what I said was you asked about window regulators in a thread which had a title that referenced an inoperable sunroof. I was suggesting that you might get a better response if the thread title actually referenced your particular issue.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:17 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

have you tried saying "please", that might be all it needs.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rober2
have you tried saying "please", that might be all it needs.
If you are addressing this to the OP, he went MIA in May of 2012 and has not been seen since...

Old 10-01-2022, 05:01 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
If you are addressing this to the OP, he went MIA in May of 2012 and has not been seen since...
my bad, I missed the OP date, thanks

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (10-01-2022)