S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 S-type v6 interior lights always on

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 04:48 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 01 S-type v6 interior lights always on

Yesterday, the interior lights stayed on while I am driving. They turned off as normal when the engine was off and I got out of the car. This morning, the light stayed on while driving and stayed on when I got out and locked the car. They were functioning as expected before yesterday. I do not recall anything significant that may have caused it. I did some elimination stuff like, turned the radio, a/c, doors opened/closed, sunroof open/close. Still on. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 10-25-2022, 08:50 PM

Just checked and the interior lights are off when parked. So, the only issue is they are on when I am driving.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,036 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Are there any indications on the dashboard saying doors open or similar?

Old 10-26-2022, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Steve M
Are there any indications on the dashboard saying doors open or similar?
Nothing on the dash. Meanwhile, I took out the fuse while I figure it out. However, when I said there was nothing significant that I did, I remembered that I cleaned the inside of the doors, including the rubber seals. I may have done something there. But, that would mean the trigger (are there little things that get pushed in and out or electronic sensors?) gets stuck in the open position. That doesn't make sense. I also cleaned under the driver's seat. I think that is where the issue is. That sensor is stuck and does not know the engine is running and its time to turn off. I need to find the door sensors and the seat sensor. I also need to think the open/on, shut/off logic.
The scenario so far is:
When I open the door, the lights turn on (normal).
When I turn the engine off, get out and close/lock the car; the lights turn off, eventually (it seems to take longer than normal to turn off)
The lights stay on while I drive.

I was going to test how long the lights will turn off if I just sit there without starting the car, but I took out the fuse already. I will try that tomorrow. Anyway, thanks for asking Steve.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 305 Posts

Hi Roberto,
So you are driving with light-speed!? (speed & light on - light-speed...)
Steve asked already - but asking differently: So when your doors are closed, you do not see on the display are hint of "door open", but does the display tell you "door open", when the door is actually open?
Anyway, maybe check anyway, if the "ajar switch" is happy in your car. I found out on the net, that it seems to be parts of the locking mechanism in the S-Type.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Hi Roberto,
So you are driving with light-speed!? (speed & light on - light-speed...)
Steve asked already - but asking differently: So when your doors are closed, you do not see on the display are hint of "door open", but does the display tell you "door open", when the door is actually open?
Anyway, maybe check anyway, if the "ajar switch" is happy in your car. I found out on the net, that it seems to be parts of the locking mechanism in the S-Type.
good take Peter, I will test and take pics. Play the elimination game (some call this diagnostics the very old way). Soon as I get the fuse plugged in. The little thingys are switches? Why did I not remember what they are called?

Old 10-26-2022, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, a normal ajar switch (as it is in my van) is the most simple form of push-switch there is. But I don't know what to expect in the S-Type exactly. It seems to be something integrated in the locking mechanism, maybe really small switch. Maybe you can't even see it, if it is inside.
Also check all the electrical connection to the locking mechanism, as this would be the connection to the ajar switch. So check the connection to the locking mechanism, follow the cable and check that next connection as well (and the cables). Maybe some connector came loose, maybe some connector is corroded, maybe some cable got damaged.
And a very obscure idea: Maybe a fuse after all? Check F33 in the passenger compartment fuse box in your 2001 S-Type this is the Generic electronic module.
Or F29, or F20.
And another idea: Remove the battery cable for an hour or so. (I hope you have your radio code).

Old 11-04-2022, 04:30 AM

Hey Peter

What would "Remove the battery cable for an hour or so." supposed to do? Re-set something? Thanks

Old 11-04-2022, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

It's something I have heard as supposed to be a possible solution for an odd electronic module problem. The idea is some kind of reset, yes. However, I am fighting currently with a problem, which tells me that maybe removing the power (battery) is not the the best idea, if you don't have to, as it might just as well create new problems. Because I currently have a big problem: a simultaneous "Cruise control not available" message in the right display, while it says "ABS fault in the left display". I have no idea yet why, but maybe because I had the battery disconnected for a few weeks. And no: The battery is not dead.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:54 AM

It's something I have heard as supposed to be a possible solution for an odd electronic module problem. The idea is some kind of reset, yes. However, I am fighting currently with a problem, which tells me that maybe removing the power (battery) is not the the best idea, if you don't have to, as it might just as well create new problems. Because I currently have a big problem: a simultaneous "Cruise control not available" message in the right display, while it says "ABS fault in the left display". I have no idea yet why, but maybe because I had the battery disconnected for a few weeks. And no: The battery is not dead.
ok, thanks mate

Old 11-04-2022, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 635 Likes on 498 Posts

Have you checked the actual voltage at the battery terminals? When the battery gets down to +/- 12.1 volts the car will start, but the voltage is below minimum threshold for some modules and the error messages you are experiencing will appear at start-up.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

a simultaneous "Cruise control not available" message in the right display, while it says "ABS fault in the left display".
Got a Parking Brake Fault, too?:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...attery-193787/

And no: The battery is not dead.

The following users liked this post:
STR.Gringo (07-13-2024)
Old 11-05-2022, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hi, to those, who replied here to my mentioning that I have currently an issue with error messages "ABS fault" and "Cruise control not available":
I did not want to hijack Roberto's thread...
I will - very shortly - create a new thread about those issues, but just briefly:
I solved my issue! I wasted 2 perfectly good days in doing so, but I feel a lot better now.
And no - as I wrote at the onset: The battery is not dead.
And in response to the Monty Python Clip above and in words, which only Monty Python fans will understand: "(Only) ONE BATTEWY EACH!"
The solution: Because I am working on the S-Type since 4 month, it is not registered yet. But driving was the solution! I drove it today anyway up and down the road and after 50m driving: Bob's you uncle! All good!

Old 11-05-2022, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

I did not want to hijack Roberto's thread...
Your conduct has been documented and you are hereby sentenced to the Procession of Shame:

Old 11-05-2022, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, good one, I did not know "set" one... So this is what all the dogs of all the surrounding neighbouring places are barking all day long...
Sadly my punishment here last longer than 6 seconds...

...the above mentioned new thread regarding ABS fault, etc., is:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...attery-264449/

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 11-05-2022 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:24 AM

BTW, I have a new battery and fuse for the interior lights. But the lights are still on when I drive. I checked the boot lights from the folded rear seat, and they are off when the boot is closed. I also have e switch plunger on the boot, and it seems to be working. Will locking the car at night stop the battery drain, if there is any?

Old 11-06-2022, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

I was thinking about your interior light issue again:
So each of the 4 doors and your boot lid have an ajar switch, which tells the system, if the door is open or closed (=switch closed or open).
I think we established that my (= S-Type 2004) boot lid ajar switch is integrated in the boot locking mechanism, and the same is true for the doors.
But your 2001 S-Type seems to have a separate ajar switch, right?
So what about your doors?
Theoretically, the system could have been designed such that if any of the door ajar switches is open, the system will leave the interior lights on, or if any of those door ajar switches is closed the system will leave all the interior lights on. I do not know, which design idea they have implemented, but that is just a remark of mine to think about anyway. Maybe one of those 4 door ajar switches is stuck in the wrong position.
So are your ajar switches separate from the locking mechanism? I would try the following: Whereever those door ajar switches of yours are: Spray WD40 onto/into them. Maybe it will get them unstuck. And remember that if only 1 ajar switch is delivering the wrong input, it does not matter that the other 3 deliver the right input, because: interior light is on, if at least one door is open...

Old 11-06-2022, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Have you tested the warning individually for each door? Not sure this would be the cause, but it's something basic that should be ruled out.

with ignition on, close all doors and trunk. Either roll down the driver's window so you can see the dash, or use a helper. Make sure all door/trunk warning messages are absent. One at a time, open each door and the trunk, then close it. Be sure the message is displayed and then goes away.

Old 11-07-2022, 03:52 AM

I was thinking about your interior light issue again:
So each of the 4 doors and your boot lid have an ajar switch, which tells the system, if the door is open or closed (=switch closed or open).
I think we established that my (= S-Type 2004) boot lid ajar switch is integrated in the boot locking mechanism, and the same is true for the doors.
But your 2001 S-Type seems to have a separate ajar switch, right?
So what about your doors?
Theoretically, the system could have been designed such that if any of the door ajar switches is open, the system will leave the interior lights on, or if any of those door ajar switches is closed the system will leave all the interior lights on. I do not know, which design idea they have implemented, but that is just a remark of mine to think about anyway. Maybe one of those 4 door ajar switches is stuck in the wrong position.
So are your ajar switches separate from the locking mechanism? I would try the following: Whereever those door ajar switches of yours are: Spray WD40 onto/into them. Maybe it will get them unstuck. And remember that if only 1 ajar switch is delivering the wrong input, it does not matter that the other 3 deliver the right input, because: interior light is on, if at least one door is open...
Thanks, Peter, but there are no switches on the door. There is a switch on the boot and the light turn off when i push them in. Seems to be working.

Old 11-07-2022, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Have you tested the warning individually for each door? Not sure this would be the cause, but it's something basic that should be ruled out.

with ignition on, close all doors and trunk. Either roll down the driver's window so you can see the dash, or use a helper. Make sure all door/trunk warning messages are absent. One at a time, open each door and the trunk, then close it. Be sure the message is displayed and then goes away.
Thanks, Karl. Did that and they all seem to be working; driver door open, driver rear door open, passenger door and passenger rear door open messages when car is running and door open. No switches on the doors themselves, or they are so tiny and hidden that I can not find them. Karl, you have an 01, do your doors have switches? Thanks

Quick Reply: 01 S-type v6 interior lights always on