S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 3L S-type: Fuel Pump Strainer? Ever changed it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '02 3L S-type: Fuel Pump Strainer? Ever changed it?

I'm just checking everything I can think of to try and get this beast running right again.

Have you ever changed the fuel strainer that is at the fuel pump in the fuel tank? It looks like this...

Its job is to strain out larger crud before it gets to the fuel pump...

Dropping the tank sounds like fun. But I have only done it on a Ford F250 with a V10...

I can put the Jag up on ramps. How hard is it to get to this "strainer"?

Thanks.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Might you be able to get at it from above? I believe the tank top is accessible to some extent under the rear seat.

The tank's plastic, as I recall, so I'd hope there actually would not be anything in the strainer. (As if!)

I'd need a compelling reason to drop the tank. I'd prefer to read the fuel pressure and if there's plenty even under load I'd be fairly sure the strainer wasn't an issue.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
....I'd need a compelling reason to drop the tank. I'd prefer to read the fuel pressure and if there's plenty even under load I'd be fairly sure the strainer wasn't an issue.
The "strainer" functions as a pre-filter before the pump. The JTIS states that it should be changed, but is not clear on how often.

Read the pressure at the Fuel Rails. But what is plenty? I cannot find it in the JTIS or the forum threads. Got any idea what the pressure should read at the rails? In the line before the rails?

Thanks.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I only just got to your other post about FRP. My interest is really the STR which (from reading) apparently can have much higher pressure than that. I'd think the non-STR muct be documented somewhere but sorry I don't know where. 39.6 sounds plausible but that's about all I can say.

Another 3.0 owner probably has a reader and could let you know what they observe.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure

The STR has higher fuel pressure because the FPR is boost referenced. This means as the boost increases so does the fuel pressure. Fuel injectors are made to operate with a certain pressure difference between the intake manifold pressure and the fuel pressure and this difference must be maintained regardless of engine operating conditions.
So the fuel pressure will jump around as you change the throttle opening. It will do this with both super charged and non-super charged engines. It's just the fuel pressure numbers will be different.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, that's what I understood. Does it apply to the V6 3.0 as well?

It appears not to be doing so on BugDoc's car...

Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Default Fuel Pump Service

I forgot!!
Both fuel pumps are serviced from above. Remove the back seat bottom cushion and you will find the access doors. The Jaguar has two pumps. One is a "Jet" pump that only transfers fuel from one side of the tank to the other. The other pump is the main or normal pump that supplies the engine.
When the jet pump fails the car will run until you get somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 of a tank then it will run out of fuel.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Yes. The 3.0 operates the same way. I would for sure change my fuel filter before anything else. I have always replaced the fuel "sock" when installing a new fuel pump. Most but not all fuel pumps come with a new strainer.

How many miles on the car? Fuel filters are very often forgotten about. I have even seen people who paid a dealer to replace the filter and it was never touched??

The only thing more neglected is the cabin filter because many people don't even know their car has such a thing!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Yes. The 3.0 operates the same way. I would for sure change my fuel filter before anything else. I have always replaced the fuel "sock" when installing a new fuel pump. Most but not all fuel pumps come with a new strainer.

How many miles on the car? Fuel filters are very often forgotten about. I have even seen people who paid a dealer to replace the filter and it was never touched??

The only thing more neglected is the cabin filter because many people don't even know their car has such a thing!!!
I changed the fuel filter about 1K miles ago. You can read about that here.

I bought the car with 76K in December. It now has ~93K. I am pretty certain the fuel filter had been changed no more than once. It was very dirty. (See pics in that thread.) I hoped that would remedy the situation, but it did not.

I changed out the cabin air filter as soon as I bought it. Shortly after purchase, there was an "interesting smell" in the cabin. The cabin filter was filthy, as was the main air intake filter. Neither of these had been changed in a LONG time.

I have changed the oil about 3 times now. It is due again. Using Mobile1 5w30 Extended and Purolator 8k mile filter. But I usually change at 5k anyway.

What does one have to do to take the back/bottom seat out? It is great they made the fuel pumps that easy to work on! Incredible!

Anything else to look into while under the back seat and/or under the intake manifold?