S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 S-Type fabric on pillar needs repair...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '02 S-Type fabric on pillar needs repair...

I have an '02 S-type and the fabric on the pillar cover on the passenger side is coming loose. I want to remove the pillar and then get some spary adhesive to reaffix it.

Could someone please tell me how that pillar is removed? Thanks.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First when you open the door, you will see a rubber headliner running the whole length of the door jamb. This is there to protect against water and wind noise. Remove that. Second, the pillar will be able to come off. I did that in my '01 to install my microphone for my bluetooth adapter and voice command. It should be easy to do as far as I remember.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

also i used to change he color of the a pillars all the time. I used just similar material i found locally at an upholstery shop and once (i stress once) i found some at Jo-Ann fabric store, someone had special ordered it in black, and never picked it up. I believe i got the whole lot of it for 4 dollars, and i must have covered 20 panels with it.

I used 3M Super 77 glue as it is very light and has a mist. it wont clump up. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!!! DO NOT GLUE THE WHOLE FRONT AREA!!! only glue the rear portions that hold once you stretch it over. You can put some thin felt under the material if you want it to be a little softer looking, but run the risk of it wrinkling in the corners where the dash meets the a-pillars

Old 07-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pillar refurb...

Thanks guys this helps a lot. That will be my next job right after I get the engine running smoothly again.

Thanks for all your insights. At least some things on the Jag S-type are not crazy expensive!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the same problem, same side. Pillar fabric is wrinkled a bit from the glue having stopped adhering. I removed the weather stripping, and the top of the pillar cover came off easily, but the bottom seems stuck to the edge of the dash. I didn't pull up too hard on it for fear of breaking something. Is there a trick to getting the bottom of the pillar cover detached from the dash? Thanks!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I need to redo both A pillars and got a quote of $40 per side to re-cover them. Any ideas where to just buy the fabric online?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

http://www.garysupholstery.com/Ritz-suede.html

this is stuff i used to use to do custom work with, however i didnt pay that much. You should be able to find it cheaper at a shop near you

http://www.garysupholstery.com/crypton-suede.html

before ordering it from anywhere, make sure it is somewhat stretchable. You will need some stretch to it whenever you glue the backside.

3m glue has always worked well, make sure it is the fine mist though, not the spiderweb looking one

Last edited by phd12volt; 08-04-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just fixed mine on my 2000 S-Type, following the instructions found here. The fabric is backed with a thin layer of plastic. It may be possible to repair it with an iron or hair dryer. There is a clip at the base that hooks through a loop in the dash cover. I had to push the column cover forward, away from me, and lift the heel near me to free it from the slot. Then pulling toward me it came out easily. The 3M spray adhesive cleans up nicely with a little MEK solvent on a clean rag. The entire job took about ten minutes per post, not counting the time spent assembling tools and materials.