S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 s-type tps/tb issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 s-type tps/tb issues

hey new to the forums so bare with me. So my car is broke down right now. I pressure washed it earlier today so im hoping its just moiture, so i'll at least be able to start it tomorrow and get it somewhere. kinda doubt
it though, because the last few months its been having this power drop and hesitation issue at about 40 mph and above. if i baby it, it does it even more but if i gun it, its fine. the engine light hasx came on and off. and has came in and out of failsafe mode. im thinkin i need a new sensor but ive been reading about adjusting the sensor. I know this would be temporary but id rather have that than be broke right now. then again it may not even be that. i pulled a code for it before and it was the TB, just dont remember the code i'll know more tomorrow, im gonna get the code again.
so the question is: how do i adjust that tps? do i just turn it a wee bit or is it more involved?
btw I was gonna clean all the connections also while i have it open. im almost positive its that sensor though ive read alotta posts on here about that. there kinda all over the place but i think i have the basic understanding

Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Welcome...

Don't touch/adjust the TPS or anything on the throttle body for that matter!

Hook up your vehicle to a OBDII reader and post the code(s) here.

Could be a intermitient/faulty coil - causing your hesistation at 40 mph & up.

The following users liked this post:
I-jag (01-23-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Did you pressure wash the engine bay?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 PM

I'll post the codes tomorrow first thing. Don't know what that obd reader is but it'll prob be whatever they have at autozone... and no I didn't wash the engine just the norm. I didn't mention though, right before it shut down it started missin or somethin real bad cuz it was shakin 10 seconds later it was dead

Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Engine size? Other info? See:

Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,391 Likes on 2,867 Posts

I wouldn't let my pressure washer anywhere near either of our two Jaguars. The throttle bodies are extremely sensitive to moisture and will throw the engine into limp mode at just the hint of water in the system. I always hand-wash both cars the old-fashioned way with a garden hose and a bucket, using just enough light mist to clear the soapy water from the paintwork anywhere near the hood or the trunk. I clean the engine bays with nothing more than my Shop-Vac and an old bath towel sprayed with a small amount of generic WD-40....

I know it sounds overly protective, but it works for me....

I-jag (01-23-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 AM

Its a '02 v6 3.0 80k mi. I've been readin about the moisture problems, and that patch you can put in the plugs, among other diy fixes. I love my car but it seems pretty rediculous that a guy would HAVE to wash his car like that. nothin wrong with old-fashioned its prob better I'm sure, but you'd think you'd be able to wash a jag like any other car. Esp a jag!I gotta go figure this thing out. I'll post codes asap!!
Have a good day thanx for the replies!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Your hesitation problem is likely unrelated but likely:
air leak, failing coils or failing O2 sensor

The TB is sealed when manufactured as are lots of things but after 10 years not everything is perfect any more!! You can wish it otherwise but ...

Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM

ohay so the codes that came up are p0340 which i dont think is it. p0354 55 and 56. ignition coils i think but thats not necassarily it, is it?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Best bet: dry it out (engine heat may work), clear codes, see which if any come back.

I-jag (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 AM

So we ended up finding a blown starter coil fuse and that cleared those codes. now the dreaded 1586 keeps coming up. and still wont start. i know that could be a number of things. oh forgot to mention i hooked a dif obdII reader to it. it was exactly like the other one but it was a craftsman. my point is ive heard of cheap readers bein hooked up to jags and and itll fry the whole system. so i hooked it up and the message window started goin haywire. and a pcm fault code came up. we did that twice and cleared it twice. so it stopped throwin that code and the message screen was back to normal. my first thought was, " that damn reader just fried my car!" so now its only throwin the 1586 but is still in failsafe and i dont even wanna try startin it anymore till i can get that faisafe cleared, so i dont screw anything else up.
again, thanks for all your input. any ideas??

Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I have never heard anybody having electrical problems caused by an OBDII reader? Is is possible? Well maybe but I don't think that is your problem.

I don't understand what a blown starter coil fuse is? Can you explain some more?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

I-jag - Never heard such claims before. I don't think they're true at all.

Save yourself grief and look the code up in the proper codes PDF. In the stickies and also in JTIS.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by I-jag
So we ended up finding a blown starter coil fuse and that cleared those codes. now the dreaded 1586 keeps coming up. and still wont start. i know that could be a number of things. oh forgot to mention i hooked a dif obdII reader to it. it was exactly like the other one but it was a craftsman. my point is ive heard of cheap readers bein hooked up to jags and and itll fry the whole system. so i hooked it up and the message window started goin haywire. and a pcm fault code came up. we did that twice and cleared it twice. so it stopped throwin that code and the message screen was back to normal. my first thought was, " that damn reader just fried my car!" so now its only throwin the 1586 but is still in failsafe and i dont even wanna try startin it anymore till i can get that faisafe cleared, so i dont screw anything else up.
again, thanks for all your input. any ideas??
I'm not sure about a P1586 being caused by the starter coil??? but here is what I can offer:

Code P1586 is for the electronic throttle. It's either a faulty throtle body or a wiring problem between the PCM and throttle. You may also want to check the relays in the under hood fuse box. Try tapping on the relays as I have seen problems in the connections at that fuse box causing the no start and that code.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I-jag - Never heard such claims before. I don't think they're true at all.

Save yourself grief and look the code up in the proper codes PDF. In the stickies and also in JTIS.
im by far no mechanic. im just goin by what some guy said about a cheap reader. I was also freakin that day so i prob jumped to conclusions too.haha! def freakin
anyways, i did look the code up and it could be alot of things. but the thing said exactly: P1586 throttle control unit/throttle position malfunction.
so now the situation is. the guy i have helpin me talked to a previous jag dealership tech and he advised to replace the tb, even though i mentioned that your able to get those seperate now. he said he dont recommend it. idk sounds like bs to me. but i just wanna get the damn tps and replace it myself, hoping thats in fact whats wrong. any input?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
I'm not sure about a P1586 being caused by the starter coil??? but here is what I can offer:

Code P1586 is for the electronic throttle. It's either a faulty throtle body or a wiring problem between the PCM and throttle. You may also want to check the relays in the under hood fuse box. Try tapping on the relays as I have seen problems in the connections at that fuse box causing the no start and that code.
thanx man i'll def try that first thing tomorrow! if that works i'll literally **** my pants! im no mechanic at all and that would seem like some sort of miracle if tappin on a relay fixes it! haha! ive heard of that bein done before just never done it or seen it. lol im ignorant to this stuff if ya dont already know.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

It can be worth reseating (take out then reinsert) each in turn. If you can find identical ones then swapping is another good way but don't misidentify!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 PM

+1 to JagV8 advice on the relays - additionally, check all electrical connectors on the throttle body to ensure they are on nice and tight - a little dielectric grease to the electrical connections on the TB won't hurt either.

If you find you need to go the route of replacing the TB (highly doubt it) go used... good luck!

Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM

thanks alot for all the advice guys. i just got the car back to my house finally. I'll let yall know what i come up with.
Jag-V8: i assume your talkin about takin the tps out and reinstalling?? i can try spraying with that dilectric spray too right??

Old 01-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

No, the topic was relays / fuses. Leave the TB alone.

Quick Reply: 02 s-type tps/tb issues