S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Jag with DCS, engine and parkbrake defaults

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 03 Jag with DCS, engine and parkbrake defaults

On Monday night I went to a car wash, just sprayed it down, drove it home and parked it in the garage. Tuesday morning all DCS, engine and parkbrake faults were on, tried running it for awhile do to how cold it was over night, then pulling key out and trying to reset but no luck. Wednesday I changed the spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, rear struts and disconnect the battery but with no help clearing the codes. Had it towed to a local import garage that works on Jaguars, they pulled 35 codes, p0171, p0174, p0101, p0112, p1251, p1637, p1260, p1582, p0121, p0430, p0442, pc1175, p1111. After clearing the codes, 1 came back as throttle position The on-board diagnostic checks the throttle position when the ignition is at 1 (AUX). A diagnostic trouble code is logged if the value is greater than 7 degrees which they said is at 9 degrees. I bought a used throttle body off a 03 Jaguar x-type 6 cylinder, same cylinder as mine just a x-type not s-type like mine but still no luck of getting it out of limp mode.

My question is could it be the c1175 wheel speed rear left input circuit failure? Thank you for any info you can give me.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Classic weak battery symptoms combined with water in the connectors. Start there.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,515 Likes on 3,927 Posts

+1

Bad power means coils can't fire so get misfires and lean codes.

Don't change parts till car electrics are dry and battery good.

Plugs don't suddenly go bad and do any of this!

Old 12-14-2013, 11:56 AM

I thought by charging the battery on my 10amp charger for several hours would fix that problem. The first day I placed the car in the garage and heated the garage all day, disconnected the electricial plugs, dried them up with a blow dyer. The shop said the gears in the throttle body sounded bad, I'm going to try the old throttle body on it and find a way to get a new battery since this Jaguar is our only means of trans, it's one thing to walk 2 miles for a belt or something and carry it back but a battery I don't think so lol. Thanks again, oops also when it was at the shop, wouldn't they catch that the battery was low?

Old 12-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I agree with Mikey and John...would've started with the battery on this one. As to the shop catching it, you didn't say how well they speak Jaguar, but all you listed were Pcodes which are accessible to most anyone. If they had diagnostic equipment capable of reading Jag C codes, I'd feel more comfortable assuming they'd suggest looking into the battery issue. But let's face it, the car cranks and starts, and has a boatload of codes, so if they are not well-versed in Jaaag-speak, first, it would probably never occur to them that the battery could be the root cause, and secondly, should it.....they may fear you writing them off as idiots for suggesting it. Not sure about this, but the margin on throttle bodies may be greater than that on batteries, as well.

Edit: I read a little closer - in your list of codes you chucked a P in front of the C1175. If, in fact you have a C1175 fault, that would explain the DSC unavailable prompt. But, you said after clearing, only one code returned and though you didn't say what it actually was, I guess it wasn't the C1175 b/c it was associated with the throttle body - I'd look at wet connectors on that one - did you spray the mill down while at the car wash? Or just the vehicle exterior. I don't believe the V-6's are as famous for wet-throttle-body-connectors as the V-8's from just a car wash or rainstorm, but certainly if you sprayed it directly that could be in play.

Last edited by aholbro1; 12-14-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Many shops (including Jaguar dealerships) tend to miss failing battery issues. Slack dealerships have been known to replace entire transmissions in situations where all that was truly wrong was a failing battery. And yes, moisture can get into the throttle body assemblies on the V6 cars as well as the V8 cars. That's just one reason why I always wash both of our Jaguars by hand with a light stream from the garden hose. Keeping them away from the commercial car washes goes a long way towards avoiding moisture problems under the hood that tend to throw these cars into limp mode....

Last edited by Jon89; 12-14-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:22 PM

Well I appreciate the advice, I called a local parts place by my house and they have one in stock. The guys is so nice that he is delivering the battery to my house in just a few, I hope this is the last thing I purchase and put on this car, if not it"s off to the dealer :-(. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:36 AM

No luck with a new battery so brings me to a new question. The used throttle body was off a x-type and mines a s-type, the last 6 vin #s were lower then mine. Would that not work on mine and should I look for the right vin number body as I did on my last throttle body? The one that is on there now cost me $200, lasted a year and half and the guy made sure the vin matched. Thanks again for all the help

Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Stinkyjag03s
No luck with a new battery
Not sure about your TB question, but I see so many posts where people are advised to fit a new battery to cure all sorts of issues, yet I have NEVER read one where it actually has...or can any members tell me otherwise?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:45 AM

The 6 cyl X-type engine has nothing in common with your engine, I wouldn't expect the throttle body to work.

What code do you still have?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Manycars,

There are quite a few posts on this forum where members have installed new batteries and immediately saw their issues and spurious codes disappear. You just haven't done enough reading....

A new battery was the answer in September 2012 for some of the classic weak battery signs that my wife's XK8 was exhibiting at the time, so I can attest first-hand....

Old 12-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Hi jon89, I have read plenty, but you are the first.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by manycars
Not sure about your TB question, but I see so many posts where people are advised to fit a new battery to cure all sorts of issues, yet I have NEVER read one where it actually has...or can any members tell me otherwise?
I'll be #2 to chime in then.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:25 AM

That's two. Any more bids?

Any details on what a new battery fixed? You see, I have another car with just as much complexity as the Jag and it has a really weak battery. Yet it doesn't give me any issues? The EPB operates even when the car barely starts for example. Why is the Jag so different, battery wise?

Last edited by manycars; 12-15-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Reported new-battery fixes that I remember reading about during the nearly five years that I've been on this forum:

Transmission faults from at least three different forum members.

Window programming faults from too many forum members to count.

ABS/DSC faults from too many forum members to count.

A fuel pump issue from one forum member.

I'm sure other long-time members will speak up with other examples....

Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks Jon. I do have a ulterior motive for questioning the benefits of a new battery. I'm rather old school - 'as long as the battery starts the car, it must be good'. I won't hijack this thread about it here.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:58 PM

OK, as of a new battery fixing anything it did not. I feel better that we have one since the battery is over 5yrs old, I can't get any codes off of it because I don't want to tow it back to the repair shop. The shop didn't give me the exact code after clearing them but it did show that the TB was over 7 degree's at a 9 degree setting which is the reason for the limp mode. The only different between the old TB and used one I got off of the X-type is the old run's at a higher rpm then the X-type. I've done some research that Jaguar TB goes by your Vin #, my last 6 is M93733 and the X-type vin was M437?? so that makes me think thats the reason it didn't work. The repair shop I go to by my house and chat with they looked up the part number for 2003 Jag 6cyl S-type matches up with a 2003 Jag X-type 6cyl. I don't know at this point going crazy trying to get this car on the road.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Reported new-battery fixes that I remember reading about during the nearly five years that I've been on this forum:

I'm sure other long-time members will speak up with other examples....
Yep, I am one of them. Of course, my battery was 8 years old, but the car has been good ever since.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by manycars
Thanks Jon. I do have a ulterior motive for questioning the benefits of a new battery. I'm rather old school - 'as long as the battery starts the car, it must be good'. I won't hijack this thread about it here.
Only true on some cars now. The computers don't like bad power. With time I suspect they'll disable most modules during starting or some such thing. The jags are in the middle time where they're full of modules but such ideas haven't been implemented. (Not saying they ever will be, a bit like I wouldn't say Windows will ever be reliable!)

Cars fixed by a new battery are all over the UK forum, too.

Major advantages of changing a battery are it's cheap and DIY. Many other things fail on one or both of those

Old 12-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

I never heard anyone try an X-Type TB on an S-Type. No idea if it ought to work.

I was under the impression that X-Type and S-Type VINs have nothing at all relevant to each other but am now wondering. Er... had a look at the Vehicle Spec PDF (in the stickies) and it looks like X-Types never have an Mxxxxx VIN.

With so many codes it's nearly always the battery. If it's not, normally you'd see which codes come back first but also study the codes PDF hard as well as the rest of JTIS, looking for what is in common and could be the underlying cause. The only one that I can think of that's at all common is the battery. That includes power & ground connections of course. Other grounds are where I might go looking next, in hope.

Last edited by JagV8; 12-16-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 03 Jag with DCS, engine and parkbrake defaults