Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 with NAV A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03 with NAV A/C problem

Hi:
I've been searching all over the net about this issue. I have recently purchased a 03 STR for the wife with 77K miles all was working fine until I drove it, I noticed the 'low coolant' light on and I did some research no big deal apparently, well not so much, I did notice the smell of antifreeze after turning off the car, I looked everywhere and for the life of me I couldn't find the leak or drops of coolant anywhere.
Yesterday at night the AC kinda blew hot for a little bit then back to normal, and today the A/C just blows hot at full .
I did more research and found that It could be the DCCV and the board? now I don't know where to start I say a DIY write up for the non Navigation unit, and I couldn't find the one for the one with NAV,

I was hopping to get some help , maybe even a good independent Jaguar mechanic here in south Florida, as the Dealer (of Course) will charge me an arm and a leg for something that's easy fixable I hope.

any input will be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Start with the DCCV. Access is tight for the STR.
(See previous threads, which have details if you want to DIY.)

The following users liked this post:
Wpbjag (05-24-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Dccv valves when they blow have a nasty habit of taking out the control module, often blowing the circuit tracks on the board or the output transistors. The module can be found underneath/back of the glove compartment - remove it and open it up and look carefully at the tracks - if blown they can be bridged with some solder and wire. If this is not the problem take the unit to a good electrical repair shop and they can check and if required replace the transistors. This will save you big bucks as to buy a replacement module is around £300-00 !
I had this exact same problem and fixed it myself

hope this helps - good luck !

Wpbjag (05-24-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 07:02 AM

Thank you gentleman, I will check those 2 for sure, and I'm sure I don't want to pay for any parts retail.

as far as the low coolant light, is it related to the problem or it wouldn't be connected?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 AM

one other question, where will I find the actual DCVV, and mine should have 3 hoses as opposed to 5 on the pre 2002 models right?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Correct.

Pop the hood and just behind the radiator (towards the firewall) on your left, look down for the hoses, a flashlight will be needed. Its a tight area.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 AM

yep, found it, also Found a Jaguar Mechanic that put the car on a lift, it seems that the expansion tank has a crack (like all of them do sooner or later) also there is a leak coming from the valve gasket cover, and he said that the AC compressor is not working , that might be the problem, he doesn't think the compressor is a problem since he hasn't seen many with problems, now he said it's most likely it's an electrical issue.
could be good news or bad news. so I will wait and see

Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Default New Update

Just got off of the phone with him, the culprit... a blown fuse... hahaha, I should have started there, replacing valve gasket cover, expansion tank and some other small type of water pump on top (I forgot the name) around 900 buck parts labor and all, it seems like a great price to me I was thinking he was going to say something in the neighborhood of 2500 or something like that.
and the rear breaks need to be replaced, so... So far so good, I like this car better and better, nice decent Indi mechanic, he said otherwise the car looks just great for the year and miles, very clean throughout.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While he still has the car ask him him to check if the DCCV valve has some coolant residue on its body. Its probably better to do it now than waiting for it to fail. If the "small type of water pump" that he changed was the Auxiliary water pump it's located right above the DCCV . It's worthwhile checking it since the DCCV is within an inch or two of it.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dimension247
While he still has the car ask him him to check if the DCCV valve has some coolant residue on its body. Its probably better to do it now than waiting for it to fail. If the "small type of water pump" that he changed was the Auxiliary water pump it's located right above the DCCV . It's worthwhile checking it since the DCCV is within an inch or two of it.
There you go, Auxiliary water Pump, I will have the guy check it, since he is changing it today, also the fuse for the compressor blew for the 3rd time, since it's going to the relay and to the compressor on the other end, it's most likely to be the compressor?, I would like to say that it's probably the DCCV since it's cheaper but who knows, Thanks for the advise though, I would hate to be without A/C here in Florida with the nice 96 degree weather....

Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by WPBJAG
There you go, Auxiliary water Pump, I will have the guy check it, since he is changing it today, also the fuse for the compressor blew for the 3rd time, since it's going to the relay and to the compressor on the other end, it's most likely to be the compressor?, I would like to say that it's probably the DCCV since it's cheaper but who knows, Thanks for the advise though, I would hate to be without A/C here in Florida with the nice 96 degree weather....
The A/C compressor clutch, AND the DCCV are on the same 10 amp fuse. Guess Jaguar figured that you would never use the two simultaneously.

I bet that you have a bad DCCV. If you're at an independent shop and not the dealer, tell him to order the ford / motorcraft one for the Lincoln LS, same exact Bosch part.

See my cross referenced parts thread for more info.

Take care,

George

Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 AM

That is awesome man, that will work wonders, now the guy said he tried and look for the DCCV and it seems to be working perfectly , he still thinks is the compressor, I will however get the part from the dealer right now and take it to him, since he is already changing the expansion tank, the auxiliary water pump and the head valve gasket cover, if it is indeed the A/C compressor I will have changed the DCCV regardless before it goes bad. but what you say makes sense, the air is blowing is HOT not just warm air but hot, so that could be the culprit , and I guess there is no way to check the compressor to find out if it's working properly...

Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 AM

the part that I'm looking for is Motorcraft YG378 right? and it's the dealer the only place that I can buy that from? or Autozone, advance or one carry them as well?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

That is awesome man, that will work wonders, now the guy said he tried and look for the DCCV and it seems to be working perfectly , he still thinks is the compressor, I will however get the part from the dealer right now and take it to him, since he is already changing the expansion tank, the auxiliary water pump and the head valve gasket cover, if it is indeed the A/C compressor I will have changed the DCCV regardless before it goes bad. but what you say makes sense, the air is blowing is HOT not just warm air but hot, so that could be the culprit , and I guess there is no way to check the compressor to find out if it's working properly...
If you have full blown hot air, with the climate control off (or set low), you have a bad DCCV, and possibly a bad climate control module. IF the DCCV was working perfectly, it would stop the coolant flow through the heater cores, and you would NOT get HOT air...

Take care,

George

Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

the part that I'm looking for is Motorcraft YG378 right? and it's the dealer the only place that I can buy that from? or Autozone, advance or one carry them as well?
That is the right part generally, its Ford Dealer or online. No one else carries them in the store. Tell the dealer its for an 04 Lincoln LS if he asks u for a car to look it up with.

Ford dealer should charge around $160 give or take. Online about $90, and Jag $320 I believe.

Take care,

George

Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 AM

wow, it is a pretty big difference on the price.
now the AC was working fine, he found out that It was a blown fuse, the A/C and DCCV fuse 10 amp, it got replaced and it was working fine yesterday, but this morning it happened again as I was taking it to shop for the replacement of the expansion tank and all. now it doesn't blow or I get hot air when the A/C is off, only when I turn it on, gets full blast hot air. and I can reduce the fan speed and or turn it off completely

Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

wow, it is a pretty big difference on the price.
now the AC was working fine, he found out that It was a blown fuse, the A/C and DCCV fuse 10 amp, it got replaced and it was working fine yesterday, but this morning it happened again as I was taking it to shop for the replacement of the expansion tank and all. now it doesn't blow or I get hot air when the A/C is off, only when I turn it on, gets full blast hot air. and I can reduce the fan speed and or turn it off completely
DCCV is bad...

Here's whats happening.

A/C is running. DCCV is shorting - pops fuse.

DCCV doesn't close now, and you're getting constant hot air. (Flow through the heater core).

Take care,

George

Wpbjag (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 AM

good enough for me, I'm going to get the part right now, and get it replaced first
and the compressor later , since it's cheaper that way.
Thanks for that guys

Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Great, now the water pump needs to be replaced as well.... after that the transmission fluid will be the next major replacements, hopefully (fingers crossed) until at least 100k

Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Update:

Ok so no more leak or the low coolant warning light. on the other hand the DCVV has been replaced and the A/C working fine... until it stops again.. long story short... A/C compressor needs to be changed, any ideas where do I get one for cheap, or any part from Ford that will work just as good? and also I have a code P1000 I believe it reads system lean bank 1 or something to that regard, the car drives fine but it has that check engine light on, and to top it all off, the passenger airbag light comes on and off, (on the dash) either stays on, or goes away, possible cause anyone?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 03 with NAV A/C problem