Sponsored by:

03 S-Type R - 1st gear shifting @ 6100?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Well okay here's the update:
-This morning I did a soft reset of the ECU and TCU
-I left my neighborhood and got on a dead straight 4 mile road with no cars and no turns.
-I got on it and spun 1st gear, it shifted to 2nd at REDLINE!!!
-It nailed 2nd gear and spun the tires and it didn't hook till right before it shift to 3rd at REDLINE again!
-So I'm ecstatic I'm in my car screaming "it worked! it worked!"
-So I slowed down for run #2 and same thing, shifted at redline in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th...
-Just when I have the biggest grin on my face I've had in a while....
-#3 COIL pack blows out..... P303, P313, P316, P1254, P1111, P1796
-
-My dash lit up like the 4th of July...

Now I'm off the the dealership to buy an $80 coil...
Whenever something awesome happens with my Jag, something terrible is always soon to follow..

Then to top it all off a cop pulls me over on my way to the dealership....
He walks up to my car and says:
"Hey, sorry I pulled you over, but I heard you get on it and I just wanted to know... Is this thing really fast???"
LMAO I'm like "Yeah I guess so, but its broken right now.."
He's like "It sounds mean.. How much horsepower?"
Hahaha now I'm laughing and I'm like "about 425 at the crank.."
He's like "Wow man! what does it run in the 1/4??"
I'm like "Probably around a 13.2 or so..."
He's like "Damn dude! You have a really nice car... Have a good day!"

I'm just sitting in my car like hahahahahaha WTF just happened? did I really just get pulled over for that nonsense.. I'm just glad I didn't get a ticket I guess because you can hear my car idling from 60ft away and I have 4% tint.. but if I was in any kind of hurry I would have been quite pissed off at him for wasting my time like that.. Lol but I must say he did make me laugh.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

The fact that he pulled you over just to ask you a question is...hahaha I don't even know. Too bad about your coil packs.

When you say soft reset, did you just disconnect both leads to the battery terminals?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Idk I did whatever BRUTAL said was the proper way to clear the TCU and the ECU.. It's the one where you disconnect the negative and touch it to the positive.. Idk whether that's technically a "soft" reset or a "hard" reset (This sounds like a soft because your just clearing the temporary memory, kind of like the RAM on a computer.. I always thought a hard reset was when you erased EVERYTHING on the module, computer, or device... but I may be wrong)... Lol either way it was a success! Just make sure everything on your car is in perfect working order or you may have something break when you go beat on it, like I did.. Eric

Old 04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

I should have used the search function...

I think I'll try this reset after I have my car serviced on Friday. The last thing I need is something blowing up...

Old 04-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
Well okay here's the update:
-This morning I did a soft reset of the ECU and TCU
-I left my neighborhood and got on a dead straight 4 mile road with no cars and no turns.
-I got on it and spun 1st gear, it shifted to 2nd at REDLINE!!!
-It nailed 2nd gear and spun the tires and it didn't hook till right before it shift to 3rd at REDLINE again!
-So I'm ecstatic I'm in my car screaming "it worked! it worked!"
-So I slowed down for run #2 and same thing, shifted at redline in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th...
-Just when I have the biggest grin on my face I've had in a while....
-#3 COIL pack blows out..... P303, P313, P316, P1254, P1111, P1796
-
-My dash lit up like the 4th of July...

Now I'm off the the dealership to buy an $80 coil...
Whenever something awesome happens with my Jag, something terrible is always soon to follow..

Then to top it all off a cop pulls me over on my way to the dealership....
He walks up to my car and says:
"Hey, sorry I pulled you over, but I heard you get on it and I just wanted to know... Is this thing really fast???"
LMAO I'm like "Yeah I guess so, but its broken right now.."
He's like "It sounds mean.. How much horsepower?"
Hahaha now I'm laughing and I'm like "about 425 at the crank.."
He's like "Wow man! what does it run in the 1/4??"
I'm like "Probably around a 13.2 or so..."
He's like "Damn dude! You have a really nice car... Have a good day!"

I'm just sitting in my car like hahahahahaha WTF just happened? did I really just get pulled over for that nonsense.. I'm just glad I didn't get a ticket I guess because you can hear my car idling from 60ft away and I have 4% tint.. but if I was in any kind of hurry I would have been quite pissed off at him for wasting my time like that.. Lol but I must say he did make me laugh.
sry to hear about your car man... but that is hilarious about the cop.
maybe one of the keys to unleashing the power it by going through a few gears... i could only do 1st and some 2nd.
let us know if it continues to shift at redline once she is all fixed.

what year is your r?

Last edited by blaksplash; 04-08-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Mine is an 03' I.. I fixed the car at around 1 this afternoon, by putting a new coil on the #3.. I actually got a chance to race the car on my way home from work..

My best friend has a Trailblazer SS with a programmer (and a fresh set of plugs), and while him and I were driving back to my house, we came across a SC300 with a big turbo.. We raced and I beat the SC300 every time we raced.. Twice from a 40mph roll and once off a light, by about 1-2 cars lengths every time.. Then when all three of us were pulling up to a red light on this 4 lane road by my house, what do you know.. we pull up next to a twin turbo BMW 335 sedan* with exhaust, tuned, a carbon fiber hood and trunk. Lol the kid in the 335 looked over at me and revved his engine and I started laughing..

All four cars (the TBSS, SC turbo, my STR, and the 335) were all lined up waiting at the red light.. I started footbraking mine and so did the SS.. (both turbo'd cars were manual) The light turned green and surprisingly the 335 was the first off the line.. I was right on his bumper and the SC and the SS were a car behind. Then when I hit second (at redline! ) I pulled even with the BMW and the SS pulled even with both of us.. Then 3rd I pulled a length on the 335 and the SS pulled 2 on me and the SC was running a length behind me all the way to 154mph and my friend in the SS b*tched out at under 100 and so did the 335..

They only reason I was able to take them is because the shifting was so much higher and stronger.. If it short shifted 1st to 2nd at like 4900 like it always used to, I would have got smoked.. But it went over 6 at the top of every gear.. The Jag surprised both of the kids with the turbo'd cars haha they thought racing big boat was going to be a joke.. But they'll probably think twice next time they see a Jag with a red " R " on it..

(oh and that 6.0L from the Trailblazer would do wonders for our cars..)

Last edited by whiteSTR; 04-09-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good. I have a friend that has a 335 turbo. Had to hear all the time how fast it was. Since I got the Jag he even mouthed off even more. Finally one day we left his house and we pulled out onto a long 4 lane, with him behind in the BMW. I knew he'd stomp it, so I rolled into the throttle to keep from blowing the tires off, and steadily pulled away. Got to the pub we were heading to and he couldn't stop talking then about how I just kept pulling away in the Jag. Don't hear a word about "the fast BMW" anymore!
We did scout out some roads for a mixed marque rally I'm going to do this spring or early summer. The BMW will out handle the Jag, but on the curvy roads I had more fun roasting the tires in power slides coming out of the apex.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

great read guys... way to represent the marque!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

im really itching to try this with mine

Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I gave this a try last night and nothing changed. Autoup on my windows no longer works, and the car shifts at 5000rpm in first in sport mode with trac off.

I pulled off the road, did the reset, started the car, and hammered it. Still shifts WAY to early. 2nd gear shifts at about 5800.

Any ideas on how I can get my 03 STR shifting at or over 6k?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

Sanyo, explain exactly what you did - to reset and 'teach' your car

Old 04-09-2009, 01:06 PM

Ok, so late last night I reset my ecu before I went in to work for our scheduled interwebs maintenance. I pulled into a cvs, popped the trunk, disconnected the battery, touched neg wire to positive, waited a few minutes, then reconnected it. Windows would auto-down but not up. I put all windows all the way down, then put them up. After doing this, auto up and down worked… great tip whiteSTR.

I did my tests on the highway, it wasn’t busy and I figured I wouldn’t have a problem running through a couple gears. So from the cvs, I immediately get in the on-ramp, come to a complete stop, then hit it. Completely spun all the way through 1st,2nd, and the beginning of 3rd. it hit 6k rpm in each gear and quickly got to triple digits. I go little ways turn on the hazard lights, and pull off the highway. I sit for a minute or so then I hit it again. Spin through 1st & 2nd and some of 3rd again shifting @ 6k . I repeated the process, a few times. The tires started gripping a little more and sometimes it would shift out of 1st around 5800.
When I got close to work and got off the highway. I hit it a few times from around 10mph. it would down gear to 1st and really short shift – sometimes as low as 4,100. I tried this a few times, each time if it down geared, it would shift low in the 4100 - 5600 rpm range.

Went to work, we did our thing. After letting it sit a couple hours, I try it again. Bam, burt rubber 1st,2nd, and some of 3rd @ 6k. I take it home with a grin on my face.

This afternoon on the way back in to work, I tried it from a dead stop… 2 black strips that looked like this ensued === === = and it shifted @ 6k

Then I tried it again from a roll around 10mph… it short shifted around 5200

This thing is insane

Old 04-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Sanyo, explain exactly what you did - to reset and 'teach' your car
Just what everyone else is reporting. I disconnected the negative battery terminal, touched the ground to the positive terminal for about one second, the waited about 10 seconds before reconnecting. I then started the car, turned on sport mode, turned off DSC and hammered it from a stop.

No tire spin, and still short shifting at 5000rpm.

Living in denver my car is making a lot less power than most of you guys so I have a hard time spinning the tires in first and have never done it in second

Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Veteran member

Man, i'm not sure what to tell ya sayno. Try it again perhaps? If it doesn't work on yours, you'll have to accept you're the odd man out or the statistical outlier. Or, ask whiteSTR to come out to denver and give it a shot.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome guys glad it worked for you as it did for me. Guess no one else got the parking break error I did. As for Sayno what year is your car? Also is your car in good working order, no prior codes or problems?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Worked great on my car. I did get the window and parking brake error, but both are now fixed. It sure is nice hitting 6100 rpm on 1st, 2nd and even third gear in sport mode. I am now glad I had the resonator removed. The car sounds great off the line.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM

whiteSTR, what exhaust do you have? I saw another post where you mentioned you replaced the mid muffler with an x-pipe, but what mufflers did you go with in the rear? thanks

Old 04-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg561
how difficult is it to take out the resonators??
and what type of gains?
thanks,
I had a muffler shop remove the resonator and install a couple of straight pipes with a small brace.
I have not dynoed the car after the install, but the sound is fabulous and it does seem more responsive.

The following users liked this post:
uropnm6 (12-10-2010)
Old 04-26-2009, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by blaksplash
whiteSTR, what exhaust do you have? I saw another post where you mentioned you replaced the mid muffler with an x-pipe, but what mufflers did you go with in the rear? thanks
Yeah, here's what it sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY9lOjIlBfU

Quick Reply: 03 S-Type R - 1st gear shifting @ 6100?