Sponsored by:

'03 S-Type R, console/display/controls stopped functioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM
jar
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '03 S-Type R, console/display/controls stopped functioning

Guys

Haven't started digging into this one yet (just a few quick searches here), but my latest issue involves the console/display/nav/touch screen functionality - in as much as this morining it lost all function.

Started up and drove fine, but the display is out, and none of the button functions (audio, climate, menu, phone, rear defrost, recirculate, or nav) are operational, nor is the touch screen (surprise). The CD player and functions below the console instrumentation function fine. The LCD readout keeps flashing "EXT 51" and "C" alternately...not sure why, and the blower motor is running blowing cooler than ambient air through the vents at a minimal speed.

Anyone run into this yet?

My first suspicion is a fuse, or perhaps a system re-boot via battery disconnection.........

Any thoughts?

Any help appreciated, thanks....

Old 09-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Unhappy display

Have heard similar problems to yours are sometimes linked to communication faults between screen module and control modules and sometimes a reboot via a 20 minute battery disconnect has worked (make sure you have radio code), the 51 could be linked to your exterior air temp sensor, check these connections, its in front of rad. (looks like a little black plastic spark plug)
have you done anything with your Nav DVD recently, as there has been issues with nav systems locking out the screen.
Sorry this is all I can offer on this problem.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened a while back in my STR.(the same code too) the reboot did not work but luckily my friend is one of the head tech's at Jag and he found that it was something with the nav unit. I believe that he plugged in the computer at the dealership and was able to reset it and it has been working ever since.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 AM
jar

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I ran the scenario by my EE (electrical engineer), his feeling was it was likely a bad ground somewhere - which kind of feels right to me as well, as I thought a few times I had seen the screen flicker - but chalked it up to reflections from the sun at the time.

Raygin - haven't played with the NAV DVD in anyway. Will take a look at the temp sensor, thanks for providing the location and the thought.

RSturbo - Dang it. I figured someone here would've gone through this already. I was really hoping a reboot/ground chasing would cure my ills. I'd really like to avoid the dealer with this one - simply because it feels like something I should be able to take care of myself.