S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 STR -- Big Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason, you may very well be right. I don't know if there are any differences between buying private or from a dealer. From the sonsumer side, no, but I have no idea what agreements these warranty companies may have with the dealer. Maybe it could work that way, I am just not knowledgeable enough about the warranty companies and how they issue policies to private consumers versus those purchasing from a dealer or car lot. Worth checking into, though.

JTO - Please don't cry. I know you don't feel important now, seeing as you can't afford Greg the super attorney, but cheer up. I have never heard a good attorney tell anyone how much they cost per hour. On the other hand, I have seen several $500/hour lawyers get disbarred for malpractice. And trust me, its not like being a lawyer is like being a doctor or jag mechanic. A trained monkey could practice law. It takes actual intelligence to do what you do. More importantly, it takes a certain level of character and benevolence to offer that expertise for free on forums like this, especially without feeling the need to proclaim your importance to the world. Besides, I don't think Greg reads gooder, either.

Greg - there are many reasons people hate lawyers. It usually starts with lawyers like you who think they are better than everyone else. Your law degree and your billable rate don't make you superior to anyone. Get over yourself.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:34 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Aw hell Tex,

Now I'm going to have to shake the rest of your hand. Thanks for the kind words.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg, why don't you stick around for awhile. There is certainly no need to run off on my account. Who knows, maybe my ineptitude will improve to mildly imcompetent after a while and this literal prune may learn to understand, if not fully appreciate, your humor. I make no promises, but I'll gladly give it a try. Generally the people on this forum are fantastic - extremely helpful, courteous, and friendly. Occasionally we disagree, which is what I did with your initial post, although as I've already admitted, maybe not in the best tone. So long as the disagreements don't get personal, they are good and productive, and sometimes entertaining.

How about we try this; let's call a truce and start over. If I've got you all wrong, then maybe you can prove it to me without the two of us going back and forth with this nonsense. I hate for you to miss out on the benefits of this forum because of me. Besides, if you are doing labor and employment work on the plaintiff or union side, then your daily life has to be miserable and depressing. Eventually, this forum may be your only reason for getting out of bed every morning.

Yes, the last two sentences are my attempt at humor. I may be worse at it than even you. That's a joke, too, by the way.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i see humor in everything, even taking a dump somedays, i find humor in it...........

Old 08-31-2009, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

It takes two to quarrel, but only one to end it.

- Spanish Proverb

Let's try to get along guys, there are a lot more important things going on to be fighting about such inane things. Agree to disagree and move on. Greg I don't have anything against lawyers, my brother is one and they're mostly pretty good guys. They just take a lot of sh*t because most people are on the wrong side of the room when they go to court. Don't leave the forum over this, without the occasional disagreement things get boring, but you have to know how to take criticism with a grain of salt.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Actually I found humor in this whole thread... Two people get into it over some jokes about ethics.... And there is poor Frankie, still with a blown up car......

Hey Frankie, come back, how are you doing? I actually liked WhiteSTR's idea. If it just costs way too much to fix, and there is no doubt that the car needs an engine, I would do the "lump" thing. Turn it into a sort of hot rod. It would be real cool!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't get a chance to read the whole thing but my comment is relevent anyway.

Who cares?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Frankie where you at my man??? Anything new going on?

Greg/TX/Tech - this is getting a little out of hand at this point. Move it into general discussions or start a new Greg vs. TX vs. Tech thread. Everytime it seems as though one of you are going to squash this lovers quarell, you throw in a few provoking sentences and jabs.

PHD- there was no humor in the dump I took this morning, it was a composition of a 3 day wedding weekend I just had down on Cape Cod. Not nice.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Greg, it wasn't me you sent the PM to, but if you do, I can delete your profile if you request me to. I do hope you stick around though. (and not for the obvious opportunity for breaking out the lawyer jokes)

As often happens in forums, one person's wit/humor is mistaken for gospel, garbage, insult, slander, disdain, or banter. I have done it too many times to count on this board and my photography forums. Written communication is easily misunderstood, no matter how many smilies you throw at it.

What I recommend to all new forumgoers if they ever ask, is to read, contribute lightly, learn the comings and goings, understand the personality of the mods/admins/techs (and thusly the forums themselves) and the characteristics of the more frequent posters. Then, dive in. You establish a reputation over time - be patient, people learn your writing habits, and then there is a level of respect established (or there should be) amongst all parties. From experience, it takes awhile to learn others.

Debate is a healthy tool, use it. When debate becomes flammable, personal, and unwarranted, noone is protected from the wrath of the admins.

See how the smilies lightened the mood?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

... only future posts related to Frakie's original thread content will be allowed.

thanks

Last edited by H20boy; 08-31-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: 12volt busted me on my phonics error
Old 08-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
... only future posts related to Frakie's original threat content will be allowed.

thanks
threat or thread???

Old 08-31-2009, 06:08 PM

re the frequency of connecting rod bearing failures: talked to a Jaguar service professional who has another in a 2000 XJ8, 85K. I'm buying the transmission out of it. Owner didn't want to fix it, guy wants $2500 for the car which is more than it's presently worth. Parts car now.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg561
Ok, ok..
Just dont let 12volt take another dump on this thread...
im sry ill keep my dumps to myself

Well seems like Jagtech has a viable solution, maybe worth looking into it.

EDIT: found this on EBAY, however the pic is not of an "R" motor, but the auction claims it is. I have asked for a verification of which motor it is.............Also it has a best offer/buy it now for 1900 ish.......sometimes best offers will take 25-30% lower then they are asking for it. Ill post if i get an answer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Engin...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by phd12volt; 08-31-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:00 PM

Jason, re your ebay link:

If I was looking for an engine for Frankie's car, I would get the VIN from the ebay seller and run a Carfax to verify the mileage when the salvage title was issued. Then I would pay the Buy it Now price and make sure that deal didn't get away.

I didn't see dates for when the auction started or how long it will last. When I have seen similar values in the past, they were usually gone before I could pull the trigger. Now I don't wait for bargain prices to get any lower, and the engine you found is a bargain if it checks out.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

in the link it claims the vins 8th letter is a V which is theory is correct, hence why i emailed the seller on behalf of Tex

Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

We are selling a Engine Motor 03 Jaguar S Type R Model 4.2L 62K OEM

Stock# V387

This will fit:

STYPE 03-05 4.2L, R mdl, (VIN V, 8th digit)

Old 09-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Well, Frankie wrote in for an answer, and there it is.

Verify the mileage and at least enough of a warranty that the engine is not DOA, and get busy. That's $1900, allow a hefty $500 to ship (probably less), find a competent installer who's not greedy, and the car is back on the road as closer to $4000 than $5K.

Only way to go. Nice work, Jason.

Quick Reply: '03 STR -- Big Problem...