Sponsored by:

'03 STR -- Big Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that greg561 seems like a real twerp.
probably good looking though......

Originally Posted by h20boy
Greg, it wasn't me you sent the PM to, but if you do, I can delete your profile if you request me to. I do hope you stick around though. (and not for the obvious opportunity for breaking out the lawyer jokes)

As often happens in forums, one person's wit/humor is mistaken for gospel, garbage, insult, slander, disdain, or banter. I have done it too many times to count on this board and my photography forums. Written communication is easily misunderstood, no matter how many smilies you throw at it.

What I recommend to all new forumgoers if they ever ask, is to read, contribute lightly, learn the comings and goings, understand the personality of the mods/admins/techs (and thusly the forums themselves) and the characteristics of the more frequent posters. Then, dive in. You establish a reputation over time - be patient, people learn your writing habits, and then there is a level of respect established (or there should be) amongst all parties. From experience, it takes awhile to learn others.

Debate is a healthy tool, use it. When debate becomes flammable, personal, and unwarranted, noone is protected from the wrath of the admins.

See how the smilies lightened the mood?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

your name isnt greg is it???

Old 09-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I would still do the simple things first. Pull the valve/cam covers and make sure the timing chains are tight. If not then I think you have a different problem. At least do that before spending big money on another engine!!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have 2 choices.
same 2 choices I fight with every day.

Keep the car long enough to absorb the cost and make it not SO expensive to own in such a short time frame.

or 2
Put in even more money getting an extended warranty (and hope they pay and dont find ways out of paying for repairs).
Thus keeping the car, enjoying it for what its worth. Having fun on drives, enjoying it with out biting your nails.

Its a really fun car and looks like a million bucks.

But, with out warranty,
I have spent almost $7K in repairs driving mine from 42K miles to a now 48.5K miles on the clock in 5 months of owning it. I drive mine every day waiting for what breaks next. I cant afford a warranty at this point. I put $5 K cash down on car and the $7K spent repairing and the monthly payment have since broken me. I just never thought a car could have so many expensive gadgets. ( Whistleing steering wheel, bad pulley design $970 to replace and update all, lurch reflashes, bad AC function, Questionable Nav touch screen that freezes, Auto level headlights gear grinding on pass side and pointing down over $2K, my ABS module went bad and after replacing they did something that shorted my Dash pack disabeling DSC and making the car buck and shift EXTRA bad Another $2500, headliner needed to be replaced $450, passenger seat airbag weight sensor went bad, $1280 just for the part, Rear end whine, tires(normal on that one, but still a cost). When I saw this car it was perfect, but not under the skin.
And I keep thinking if I keep it long enough and nothing else breaks, it could make sense financialy after a yr or 2.

You gotta make a decision and shut your eyes and hope for the best. This car with a warranty would be great. I love mine, and yet, I wish it would disapear and my money would be back.

Anyway,
I feel for you and just do what will make you the happiest.

Last edited by AngryJagOwner; 09-18-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi lateralg,

As I read your message, you now have two engines, one used engine that is in the car and the one that had the bearing failure on a stand. Assuming that to be the case, what is the feasibility of putting in new bearings, turning the crankshaft and making sure the #1 connecting rod is OK? I would check with a Jaguar technician though. It appears that you are not in a time critical mode so you can weigh the various options.

Good luck,

Mike