S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 STR Electrical woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 03 STR Electrical woes

OK, I have been dealing with faults when I attempt to start my car, that results in sweeping gauges, blinking lights, gearbox faults, interior lights blinking, headlights turning off uncommanded, and sensor at center of dashlight next to windshield blinking.
I discovered a lead in my trunk sitting in my trunk wheel, immersed in water. I dried it out, sprayed with silicone spray and rerouted to protect from a repeat. I then came back and discovered the connector was heavily corroded and clipped of end separated wire and applied electrical tape and wire tied it to electrical harness at rear light. I then dried out trunk thoroughly. Problem persisted, so just yesteday i replaced the battery.
The sideshow continues, today it faulted with drivers door closed, front windows, and sunroof open, when I opened any other door or the trunk. I repeated this several times for each opening. shut down car, restarted about 15 minutes later and it would not repeat. However, now I have an engine light that will not go off. Most of the time, when it faults the oil light remains on
Any hints on where to check next. Any advice on where to purchase a device to read codes that may have been set. i am possibly willing to purchase. I do not want to get rid of car, very fun to drive. Help!!! If you want to see what the dash was doing friend me on Facebook - James Whitlock, I will post video there.

Last edited by Phlossn; 05-24-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Phlossn
OK, I have been dealing with faults when I attempt to start my car, that results in sweeping gauges, blinking lights, gearbox faults, interior lights blinking, headlights turning off uncommanded, and sensor at center of dashlight next to windshield blinking.
I discovered a lead in my trunk sitting in my trunk wheel, immersed in water. I dried it out, sprayed with silicone spray and rerouted to protect from a repeat. I then came back and discovered the connector was heavily corroded and clipped of end separated wire and applied electrical tape and wire tied it to electrical harness at rear light. I then dried out trunk thoroughly. Problem persisted, so just yesteday i replaced the battery.
The sideshow continues, today it faulted with drivers door closed, front windows, and sunroof open, when I opened any other door or the trunk. I repeated this several times for each opening. shut down car, restarted about 15 minutes later and it would not repeat. However, now I have an engine light that will not go off. Most of the time, when it faults the oil light remains on
Any hints on where to check next. Any advice on where to purchase a device to read codes that may have been set. i am possibly willing to purchase. I do not want to get rid of car, very fun to drive. Help!!! If you want to see what the dash was doing friend me on Facebook - James Whitlock, I will post video there.
i know your in cincinatti, however if you want to make a trek over to pitt, i would be more than willing to go through the electrical stuff with you. i have all the tools to find out what is going on. Plus we can use my str as a basis for electrical resistances, plus i have a can bus reader, and i have a JTIS disc in my laptop.

If the car runs fine, it would cost you gas and tolls to get here. Just putting it out there as an option for you.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Good offer!

The problems probably relate to the water that was there. But, there's a chance some/all don't - so hunt for any clues however odd they seem. (Example: some cars have had harness issues at the front end.)

Poor power/ground connections (wet, then corrosion) are a distinct possibility.

You may have several faults but let's find out.

OBD tool see my posts about ELM327 (Search can do this - have a play with Advanced).

Old 05-25-2011, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

phdvolts. u made the OP a very generous offer. Also be sure the battery is in a good state of charge or replace.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:10 AM

bfsgross. Thanks for the advice I replaced battery and problem persist.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 AM

phd12volt. Thanks for your generous offer, I am still having a go at resolving the issues. However, if I were to take you up on your offer, please advise how you suggest we would work this out. I have some vacation time coming up over the summer.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:13 AM

jagv8. Thanks for the info, I will check out your post on ObD tool.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:49 AM

Ok, so I have taken my 03 STR in for diagnosis by a Jag professional. My professional is a master Tech 20 years experience that has opened his own shop in Cincinnati. He has told me that my instrument pack is not communicating and that this is the source of my electrical woes. I am curious if anyone else has had this failure and if anyone has any idea what this part might cost? And might the part be available used, to cut cost? Please advise. Also, where in the vehicle is the instrument pack located. i suspect behind the instrument panel and that this would be major surgery to replace.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Does the car start? If it does then the IP (ICM) is communicating and the problem is almost for sure an inappropriate/faulty OBD tool or tech.

Try ETM (engineering test mode). What volts does it report with engine off (and not very recently run) and with engine running?

If your tech is any good at all - and I'm not convinced so far - then he'll already have warned you about changing the ICM. Have a tech with a proper jag dealer tool with an up to date jag subscription standing by if you try it, so they can reprogram everything to work.

What OBD tool was used so far? Frankly sounds like the wrong one but convince me!

Last edited by JagV8; 06-22-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 AM

Phlossn - how did the water get into the truck?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,394 Likes on 1,888 Posts

The IP must be programmed to the car. Is there any chance someone has replaced this? Kind of a long shot but thought I would ask.
The water and corrosion in the trunk are the most telling symptoms. I would very uncomfortable cutting off plugs and taping things back. Any idea what those wires actually are for??
Please get the JTIS off EBay. Best $10 you will ever spend on your car!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 6,322 Likes on 5,509 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
The water and corrosion in the trunk are the most telling symptoms. I would very uncomfortable cutting off plugs and taping things back. Any idea what those wires actually are for??
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...15/what-55987/

Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

You can have the instrument cluster rebuilt for not much money. I used these guys to rebuild my throttle body and they did an excellent job. This isn't for your exact car, but you can contact them to see how much it would be.
JAGUAR XK8 XJ8 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER REBUILD 1999 2000 | eBay