S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 str engine systems fail, dsc failure, park brake fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry '03 str engine systems fail, dsc failure, park brake fault

HELP - the car was running fine after the MAS was replaced. My only problem was the Key FOBS did not work. Now I just wanted to go for a drive and got the following:

ENGINE SYSTEMS FAIL, DSC INOPP, PARK BRAKE FAULT, the ABS LIGHT is on, and the SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT is on.

I searched the forum for some similar problems and found one that said that the Throttle body connector got wet, but I have not driven the car for 2 days. While it did rain here the car was not out.

Anyway I looked at all the connectors around the throttle body and could not see any that were wet.

Any ideas? would someone have another idea?

Old 10-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Your symptoms are classic throttle body failure, usually from moisture getting into the throttle body. All it takes is a miniscule amount. Are you sure no moisture seeped underneath your windshield cowl?

Old 10-16-2009, 06:41 PM

Jon when I look there was some moisture on what looked like a vacumn cable ( I believe it's the brake servo pipe) by the firewall covered by a gray covering.

Just to be sure which connector may be the problem. The throttle potentiometer (TP) connector or the throttle motor electrical connector?

Or is the problem moisture going into the throttle body itself.

Last edited by Gessie; 10-16-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Before you get too involved, check you don't have water or damp in the spare wheel well.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member

No, they weren't. It's been posted on here before but YOU don't read.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:56 AM

OK can someone explain how a leak in the trunk(boot) cause throttle body or connector problems? Is there a control module there that is impacted? If there is which one?

One more piece of information. I never had this problem before the car has 71,000 miles. But after work was done on an engine leak in which they had to take off the transmission, the wiring harness is no longer where it was and that may be causing the connectors to be in the way of water. Once it's warmer I'll see what can be done to protect the wiring.

However I still would like input to my questions above.

By the way thanks to all that provide feedback.

Last edited by Gessie; 10-17-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Have look at the modules, fuse box, connectors etc in the trunk! (And there are more behind the trim.)

But now you've mentioned work and moved harness it is more likely to be related to that.

It may not be the throttle body. It's just that it has caused similar problems before, which makes it a suspect.

(Check no water in trunk, regardless.)

Old 10-17-2009, 10:20 AM

Danielsatur - I'll try out your suggestions, I do look at a number of sites and try to find ideas that are fixes that are free first and then those that cost me money.

I love my STR as does my wife but I've spent over $4,000 in one year and before that it was my son's car and he spent a few thousand after the warranty ran out.

So I would like to spend as little as possible.

Thanks for the ideas.

By the way I went out and looked at the trunk for any water and there is none not even any humidity. I started the car and I still have the same condition. Right now its around 42 degrees and will rain so I'll wait to see around the wiring harness and throttle body.

Last edited by Gessie; 10-17-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:20 PM

So... today its 51 degrees and sunny on Long Island. I went out to work on my S-T-R and see what the problem may be.

I followed the instructions by BRUTAL and others to see if my headlights are broken inside, well they were. so following the instructions I drilled a hole by the adjustment control and the put in a screw to move the headlights up. I then followed other instructions and put my car 3 feet way from my wall, marked the wall with tape at a point above my knees and then screwed in the newly installed screws so that my headlights pointed to the tape on the wall. Once they did I put some clear silicon glue over the screws to seal the hole so that no water goes in. Everything took less then 15 minutes, thanks to all that provided these procedures, most of all BRUTAL.

Given that success I then inspected all cables near the throttle body for any water or humidity, given that it rained the last 3 day looking for both was no problem. However after looking and disconnecting most of the cables to check for water I found none.

I did find a broken connector housing that goes to the Throttle motor electrical connector it has 2 wires. So I took 2 small plastic ties and made sure it was tight and made a good connection. I then took some electrical tape and covered the connector. I will then see where I can get a new one.

Having done all that I was very happy and went into the car and started the car.... to my surprise the same condition appeared when I started the car! By the way I got myself a code reader and looked to see what codes were in the system, all I found is P1000.

Thinking of other options I decided to disconnect the positive battery post and touch the negative lead to clear any bad data left in the system.

After I did that I started the car set the clock again and found the same condition as before!!!! The code reader still only shows P1000

AT THIS POINT I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ELSE THAT I CAN DO, ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER IDEAS?

My question to the Jaguar Experts is - Given the failures shown in the display what does it indicate? What failed? Is there one item that will cause all these errors?

Let me give you a quick history.

Car has 71,000
This same state happened about a month ago but after sitting for a week it went away and just now returned
I had the Mass Airflow Sensor replaced
Had a water leak in the engine for which my Jaguar dealer/repair shop had to drop my tranny.
No other problems since my son and then I have this car.

Last edited by Gessie; 10-19-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I'm no Jag tech but I still suspect moisture in your throttle body. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's moisture-free. Keep in mind that it takes only a miniscule amount to set off the "limp home mode" failure....

The issue you discovered with your throttle position sensor may also be the culprit. The sensor itself may need replacing if it has been corrupted....

I hope that some of the techs will post with other potential problem sources for you to check....

Last edited by Jon89; 10-19-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM

Jon the connector wings were broken but still held in the connector. I think what broke off was the clip that lock it in. I'm going to go to Jaguar Parts and see if they sell just the connector and cut out the old one and put in the new. My way of thinking is that if the power connector was bad the throttle body would not get any power son the car would not start at all. Instead the engine runs fine except for the fact that its in limp mode.

As for moisture, the intake pipe is solid and the clamp is tight, so how would moisture get in?

Last edited by Gessie; 10-19-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

p1000 on my reader basically is an OBD2 code that says that the systems are not done being reset yet. Usually if you let the vehicle run for a bit, and then rescan it will go away. Please check all your grounds that are accessible in the vehicle too. I noticed some odd issues in my 03 STR and they were ground related. Since then a lot of issues i used to have, are gone.

My last issue is the auto window up on the driver front, is kinda slow capared to the other windows. I believe the motor is fatigued and that will be my next fix

Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM

Phd12volt can you give me specific ground points that I can check out?

Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 PM

Well now I don't know what to do....

I went out to look at other things that could cause my problem such as grounding as Phd12volt suggested and low and behold the car is normal!

Started fine, accelerates great, took it around the block and it runs great.

What should I make of the whole thing?

Can I trust the car to take it further then around the block? I don't know!

Does anyone know what I can do to TRUST My car that it will not go into LIMP mode for no reason. Please help me since now I do not have a solution to my problem I can point to and say it will not happen again.

Has anyone had this situation and how did they resolve it?

Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 PM

In reading all the different post on this problem I think that using Silicon Sealant on the connectors to be sure no moister gets in is a good idea.

Can I assume that putting a coating of sealant on the outside & TOP of the connectors is a good preventive step?

Quick Reply: '03 str engine systems fail, dsc failure, park brake fault