S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 STR: How to "Flip Up" the Fuse Box for HID Bulb Install - Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 03 STR: How to "Flip Up" the Fuse Box for HID Bulb Install - Help

I bought some nice 6000K bulbs and after reading some of the posts quoted below, thought I would take a crack at the install along with my intake install (two birds, one stone). The intake side was fine to get off, just a PITA to get the square part back on, but nonetheless I got it to work

For the passenger side, the person below who is quoted (member: japartlow), states that the fuse box can be flipped up:

Im not sure what Model Jaguar you guys are talking about, I have a 2003 STR with HID, its very simple and you dont have to take off bumber!! On the passenger side you first have to remove the fuse box that sits directly behind the the headlamp assembly, be patient,, is snaps out and folds upwards then you can access the the bulb,,, On the drivers side you need to disconnect the air filter box and that folds up then you can access the bulb. I cant believe people are actually believing they have to remove front bumper. The crazy thing is if you remove the front bumper you still cant access the bulb access door, Im not sure who put that Information on this site, again this methods pertains to 2003 STR WITH HID BULBS
People you do not have to remove Front Bumper to replace HID bulbs in 2003 s type r.. Its very simple,,,

First off you need to remove the plastic cover that lays acrooss the top of the lights..

For the passenger side you have to un fasten the fuse box the sits directly behind the the light this box unfastens and folds upwards, there is also a screw that holds the wiring harness in place losen that screw and that fuse box folds up, after you do that the ACCESS PANEL the the HID BULBS IS ACCESSABLE,, For the driver side HID BULB, UNSCREW the screws that hold the Air filter box in place, and the air filter box folds up and that gives you access to the driver side HID BULB. BULBS ARE HID DS2 4300K FOR OEM, 6000K FOR BRIGHT WHITES OF 8000K FOR LIGHT BLUE
From this post, page two: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ht-bulbs-3628/

So what is the magic secret to flip the fuse box up? This guy makes it sound so easy, but my father and I who have great experience with DIY on our cars, could not figure out how to sanely and safely determine how it flips up. We removed the two bolts on top in plain site, and the bolts on the side which was a PITA, and finally the bolt that hidden in the fender that holds the wiring harness box that loops up and over the chassis (another huge PITA to remove). With all of these bolts removed we can move the box up about an inch or two more, clearly not enough for man hands to fit in there to safely change the bulb.

We would prefer not to remove the bumper as we did this with my fathers 04 GTO and it still does not fit right after the re-install. Help would be greatly appreciated, and once it's figured out I will be sure to sum up my experience in a post to help others. Thanks

Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

I hope somebody has done it and can answer. So far we have been told removing the bumper cover is the way to go??

Any pictures would be a big help!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Removing the bumper is really not that difficult. The hard part is getting the igniter back on the bulb and you are going to wish you had the headlamps out to do it.