S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 STR, Mina Intake, Both banks lean (P1410)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 03 STR, Mina Intake, Both banks lean (P0171 P0174)

Hey all,

Long time lurker first time poster

Just had the dreaded coolant house under the blower replaced after the car sat for about 6 months and of course on the way home from my mechanic the CEL came on...

I pulled P1410, both banks running lean. I'm assuming this is from my Mina intake. A couple threads on here just instruct to put the stock box back on but I no longer have mine + I would really like to be able to use this sweet, sweet cone

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Last edited by Djschnei; 05-28-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 PM

Update:

Tried hard resetting the ECU (removed both + & - from battery, help them together). I know it reset because an unrelated message about the parking break (pads need replacing) no longer shows up. Although, I am still getting CEL and restricted performance.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Where did you find that meaning? Looks to be completely wrong. See the codes PDF or JTIS both are on here & free.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Where did you find that meaning? Looks to be completely wrong. See the codes PDF or JTIS both are on here & free.
Getting info about codes from here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-tuning-65075/

Seems to be the exact same situation.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

according to that thread you linked to,

The P1410 indicates that the solenoid to operate the flap in the original airbox is not connected/malfunctioning..

So... time to hook that flap back up...

although its likely gone with along with your stock airbox...

Old 05-24-2013, 02:31 PM

I'm sorry, I'm confusing myself. My mechanic pulled three codes, the first being that p1410, then the next two (although I don't remember the numbers) where that both banks were running lean. I'm assuming that all three are related to the mina intake.

Originally Posted by GT42R
according to that thread you linked to,

The P1410 indicates that the solenoid to operate the flap in the original airbox is not connected/malfunctioning..

So... time to hook that flap back up...

although its likely gone with along with your stock airbox...
I no longer have the flap or original box :/ and I would really like to be able to use this intake.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:59 PM

Been digging around on the forums for a bit, think I might have a viable cause.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...charger-49367/
This thread talks about this code and the engine running lean. Brutal says that the p1410 flap code is nothing to worry about, but the engine running lean is possibly coming from many things including a weak battery, and it just so happens from sitting for about 6 months my battery was dead for a a long time and is probably not 100% at this point. Brutal also talks about it possibly being a bad secondary fuel pump, but I ruled that out because the fuses he says to check are still fine. It just so happens that another symptom of a weak battery is misfires and I was getting some of those codes about a week ago as well.

I'm gonna go buy a new battery and report back!

Old 05-25-2013, 12:02 PM

New battery seems to have fixed it! No longer in restricted performance! I think I figured out why. It seems that the weak battery was causing misfires in a few cylinders causing the engine to run lean. Gonna run by my mechanic this week to see if all the codes have been remedied.

Hope this helps someone!

Old 05-25-2013, 03:52 PM

... Never mind ... Ran great for about 2 hours then CEL came back with restricted performance... I'm beyond frustrated

Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Djschnei
... Never mind ... Ran great for about 2 hours then CEL came back with restricted performance... I'm beyond frustrated
What are all the current codes?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Go check if the weak battery didn't killed or weaken the altenator already.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Your sucking in hot air. Find the factory cold air intake and air box with flap. They work better.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
What are all the current codes?
Went to Pep boys and had them pull the codes. P0171 P0174 and P1000. P1000 just means their scanner couldn't read a code right? The others are still the lean codes.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

No. Save yourself grief and grab either the codes PDF or JTIS and look up the true meaning. Also tells you all the known causes. Free.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
No. Save yourself grief and grab either the codes PDF or JTIS and look up the true meaning. Also tells you all the known causes. Free.
P0171: Bank 1 combustion too lean
P0174: Bank 2 combustion too lean

Possible Causes (for both):
  • Engine misfire
  • Air intake leak between MAF Sensor and cylinder head
  • Fuel filter / system restriction
  • Fuel injector restriction
  • IP Sensor fault (low fuel pressure)
  • Low fuel pump output
  • HO2 Sensor(s) (1/1, 1/2) harness wiring condition fault
  • EFT Sensor fault (low fuel temperature)
  • MAF Sensor fault (low intake air flow)
  • Exhaust leak (before catalyst)
  • ECM receiving incorrect signal from one or more of the following components: ECT Sensor, MAF Sensor, IAT Sensor, IP Sensor, EFT Sensor, TP Sensor
I read somewhere in here that if both banks are running lean it usually points to something related to the air intake, this assumption is made stronger by the fact that I am using a mina intake not stock.

Game Plan
Since a couple of you think it is showing these codes because it is pulling hot air, here is my plan.
  1. I still have the intake tube (number 5 in picture) installed. My plan is to make a larger more insulated heat shield that will have a port cut out for the intake tube(#5) to fit through and provide cold air to the mina intake. I'll use weather shielding to create as tight of a seal as possible between the heat shield and bonnet. And some heat reflective tape. This should only cost at most $50 and is worth a shot I think.
  2. If that doesn't work, clean the MAF
  3. If that doesn't work, replace the MAF
  4. If that doesn't work, purchase a stock air cleaner assy and install

Any input would be appreciated. Since the I just put quite a few $$$ replacing breaks, every o2 and knock sensor,a bad motor mount, and the dreaded coolant hose under the S/C, I am trying to be as easy on the wallet as possible.

Thanks,
Dan

Attached Thumbnails 03 STR, Mina Intake, Both banks lean (P1410)-4731522.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Begnning to sound like a pretty expensive Mina intake! As I recall, a new airbox costs between $300 and $400 - I got a filthy, dust-laden used one from a California scrapyard, complete with WOT flap, for $152 plus postage.
May be a dumb question, but... is the insulation lining on the underside of the STR hood in good condition? I mean, that's the other half of the airtight seal.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Robinb
Begnning to sound like a pretty expensive Mina intake! As I recall, a new airbox costs between $300 and $400 - I got a filthy, dust-laden used one from a California scrapyard, complete with WOT flap, for $152 plus postage.
May be a dumb question, but... is the insulation lining on the underside of the STR hood in good condition? I mean, that's the other half of the airtight seal.
Yea lining looks is perfect, looks new. Just got off the phone with Mina Gallery and they are gonna send me the newest iteration intake for free
We'll see if that fixes the problem.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Yikes, I just picked up a Mina intake.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Djschnei
Just had the dreaded coolant house under the blower replaced after the car sat for about 6 months and of course on the way home from my mechanic the CEL came on...
If you genuinely have a lean condition, the vacuum leak is *after* the MAF because it is air that is unmetered by the MAF.

Lots of stuff has to come off for the hose replacement. Including stuff that can cause a vacuum leak if not properly replaced.

There is also the fact that the stuff includes all kinds of electrical connections.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Yikes, I just picked up a Mina intake.
I've had mine on for a couple months now with no problems .

Quick Reply: 03 STR, Mina Intake, Both banks lean (P1410)