Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 STR Rear Suspension Part # Confirmation Request

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 03 STR Rear Suspension Part # Confirmation Request

03STR, 57K miles

I need help confirming the following items are correct before I drop some $$$ on procuring these items online (read 30+ threads tonight). Also, am I using the correct nomenclature for these items? I am seeing a lot of different names being thrown around, so I want to be certain.

Rear Outer Tie Rods (female portion)
Rear End Links
Rear Lower Control Arm Bushings

If anyone would be so kind confirming the following part numbers:

1) Rear Outer Tie Rods - Will non STR parts work?
(driver's side) Jaguar c2c35783 / Lincoln 03+ 3w4z3a130aa / Auto Zone NA
(passenger's side) Jaguar c2c35783 / Lincoln 03+ 3w4z3a130ab / Auto Zone NA

@ Tie Rod End - Motorcars LTD (not sure if this will fit an STR and what brand is this?)

Cant seem to find anymore tie-rods beyond ebay and ebay scares me relative to suspension components because of the broad descriptions.

2) Rear End Links - Are these rear stabilizer links??
right (OE XR81692)
left (OE XR81693)

- many to choose from, heard Lemforder (ze germans) is a good brand

3) Rear Lower Control Arm Bushings - Are these the wishbones?
It appears that these are hard to find. I would prefer not to buy complete lower control arms especially if the only failing area are the bushings. I did however find this:

SNG Barratt - USA | Parts | LOWER REAR WISHBONE BUSH (PAIR)

OR (below, these might not fit??)

31AT Front Top Wishbone, Front & Rear Bushes

OR via Ebay

Jaguar s Type Vanden Plas XF XJR XJ8 Lower Wishbone Control Arm Bushing Bushings | eBay

Thanks for the help.

The following users liked this post:
GT42R (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM

My post is a little overwhelming, so how about this:

Can I use 03 S Type Rear Tie Rods and Rear End Links on my STR? I would like to simply buy from moto cars ltd and be done with it.

Thx!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

What you really need to do is this:

Download and install the JEPC. It’s free on this forum.

This will allow you to check the part numbers and see if the STR is different from the normal S Type. The parts are often the same size and will bolt in but the STR has many small changes under the skin compared to the normal S Type. We are still finding out all the differences as they are not documented very well at all.

The following users liked this post:
rasputin (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 PM

So after about 6 hours of research, I have procured everything I needed but with one large caveat that is important to note - I do not know if these parts will fit until my mechanic installs them.

The rear outer tie rods were the biggest pain to understand. From what I can gather, these items are identical to the 3.0 or/and the base V8. This conclusion is based on the fact that there are no online companies selling STR specific rear tie rods. After watching some videos and looking at the repair FAQ, while also looking at mine, it appears the diameter/length is the same. I purchased some Lemfoerder brand (2x) from SNG Barrat. These were the only guys that actually named the brand that they had, so I paid a median price of $116.00 for them.

Second, is the rear end links which do actually appear to be different from an STR to the base model. These were the easiest to understand since all the websites had separate item listings for STR to non STR's. I bought from the autopartsshop.com, and also got OEM style Lemfoerders. (free shipping woot)

Finally, as this has already been discussed on this forums is that the rear lower control arm bushings do not come by themselves except from one website. From my research, it appears this is the only part where you have to buy the whole assembly for big bucks ($250 to $500 each). However, I called the company on the website and confirmed these guys are smart and just make the bushing (and the owner is British, so you know thats good). Check out SNG Barret as well for this item.

I was temped to buy a kit from Ebay, but did a quick search on who makes these items and quickly discovered from our high brow'ed snooty long lost cousins (bmw owners) that these items are absolutely crap and are made in non quality controlled countries. I went with Lemfoerder because apparently its OEM style and actually made in DE.

I will follow up once again to see if these fit after I see my mechanic. PS no 1.5lb pulley this year as a result of the repair costs ...still hitting up the track in a month though

Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
What you really need to do is this:

Download and install the JEPC. It’s free on this forum.

This will allow you to check the part numbers and see if the STR is different from the normal S Type. The parts are often the same size and will bolt in but the STR has many small changes under the skin compared to the normal S Type. We are still finding out all the differences as they are not documented very well at all.
tbird, thanks for the direction and advice. JPEC took for ever to download but is very helpful - thanks. However I did not find any info on the tie rods and just took a calculated risk. appreciate the help!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

It's what Jaguar dealer parts guys use so all the parts are in there. Be careful because not finding the parts on-line does not mean they are the same.

Remember the STR is a very rare car and I would at least call Jaguar to verify the regular parts are the same as the STR. They should be able to look it up in a few minutes.

We have found some of the suspension arms are identical in geomety but the STR ones are marked with a SC. Still not real sure what the differences are?