S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 STR - Wheel-Bearing-Like Noise from Rear Corner On Deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts
Default 03 STR - Wheel-Bearing-Like Noise from Rear Corner On Deceleration

I'm having some trouble diagnosing this noise that has recently developed on my 2003 S-Type R, and I'm hoping maybe someone here has experienced something similar and maybe provide some guidance.

On deceleration/engine-braking at lower speeds, I hear what I would normally diagnose as a bad wheel bearing. It is most noticeable slowing down from 25mph to 0mph.
Under acceleratio, you don't hear it at all.
Under braking you can still hear it (therefore don't think its caliper/rotor related)
Recently, the noise has started to be heard coasting/cruising with VERY light throttle application.

I had the car in the air, in neutral with EPB off, and spun the wheels around, couldn't find any noise. I check for play in the hub/bearing but seems fine.

When examining the rear, the only issues I could find was an end-link for the stabilizer bar on the OTHER rear corner that needs replacing, and the boot on the TOE-adjustment-link on the noisy-side is split, but doesn't seem to be worn out yet. Either way, these two-issues don't appear to be related to the noise I'm hearing.

It sounds like a wheel bearing, it just doesn't do it all the time like a wheel bearing would. Could it still be the wheel bearing?

I'm concerned this is differential noise, but 90% certain its coming from the rear left corner/wheel, and not from the center/pumpkin.

---

My other question is concerning a clunk I sometimes hear coming from the driveline.
My STR sometimes exhibits a case of 'the lurch' downshifting from 2nd->1st. (even 3rd to 2nd) It is very minor and the jolt is not very noticeable, except for the fact that it generates an audible CLUNK from somewhere in the driveline...

When I put the car on the hoist, i would spin a drive wheel back-and-forth, each time taking up the 'lash' in the drivetrain until it hit the 'stop' in the transmission (being in park). It seems to me like this 'clunk' noise comes from this, what seems like the tail end of the transmission or that side of the driveshaft yoke.

Any opinions?

Disclaimer: I realize troubleshooting 'noises' such as these, through anecdotal descriptions, can be a real shot in the dark, but maybe my description will stir up some input. I am also going to record a video of the noise in-cabin, and post the youtube link here if it helps people get a better understand of the issue I'm describing.

The following users liked this post:
rasputin (08-18-2013)