S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Stype ABS DSC and Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 04 Stype ABS DSC and Fuel Pump

Need some help with a goofy problem. Have an 04 S-Type with about 110,000 miles. It runs like a charm most of the time. When it rains for a long period of time and the humidity is high, ABS fault followed closely by a DSC Fault, then if i continue driving, within 5 mins, the engine light comes on and and the car eventually shuts off. Then when i try to start it, it turns over but then dies. I took it to a mechanic. After about 10 mins, i was able to get it started and make it home. Left it in the garage for a few days and then decided to take it to a mechanic friend. on my way there, all the lights turned of abs first then dsc and then finally check engine light. He couldn't help me with the abs or dsc codes, but when he chacked engine codes, he said there was a error in the fuel pump, but its all gone now. he checked fuel pump and made sure it was working and then it ran like a champ...until it rained alot again and it happened again. Its happened about 4 times and is kinda predictable depending on the weather. question is, is there an "junction box" with connectors for all 3 connectors somewhere that may not be sealed well, which could let in water and cause this to happen? that's the only thing i could think of logically that would make all three things happen during times of heavy rain and high humidity. Sorry so long but wanted to give as much detail as possible and get any idea before heading to the dealer. Thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 PM

also, wanted to reiterate that when i leave it to dry out for a couple of days in the garage, all lights disappear and it runs great

Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,908 Posts

First-How old is your battery? Any chance of a connection problem? Maybe take the battery terminals off and clean if corroded at all.

I don't find an ABS module but the DSC module seems to handle that too. I have attached a picture of the DSC box under the hood. It's pretty exposed to things under hood so I would unplug it and take a look at the pins. Maybe use some dielectric grease on all the plugs in that area.
Other weird stuff, keep an eye out for grounds. Maybe clean the ones you find.
Of course it could always be a flaky DSC box. I am sure they are expensive!
If you get it fixed post back to the list.

Attached Thumbnails 04 Stype ABS DSC and Fuel Pump-dsc-module.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 02:24 AM

Thanks for your reply, but for some reason, i can't open up your image. its says i don't have permissions. So if i understand you correctly, there are no combined junction boxes underneath by the wheel wells. but control boxes under the hood. I will check. BTW the battery connectors are good last time i checked, which was a few months ago when i jumped my truck. if you could pm the jpg or email it to me that would be great. Thanks for your help, clubairth1

Old 03-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,542 Likes on 3,951 Posts

Check very carefully for any signs at all of damp or water in the spare wheel well or nearby. Plenty of posts on here about that....