S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Jaguar S codes and no heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Jaguar S codes and no heat

I recently bought an 05 Jaguar S 4.2 non-supercharged car for $1,000. Got it cheap because they claimed it would get hot after a short while. Someone put a new coolant tank on it but didn't replace the clip that holds the hose to the tank so it was leaking. Ended up buying a new hose with clip and stopped the leak. Also leaking was the power steering, flushed it out, replaced the reservoir and the two hoses, stopped the leak. Turns out they also had put a T on the hoses that go to the heater core. Wasn't sure if the core was bad or not so I flushed it out (water came through easily so it wasn't plugged) put the hoses back on and the core does not leak but also does not get warm, heater does not ever get warm. Not sure if this is a bad heater core, bad heater valve or possibly a thermostat (does not throw any codes for a thermostat), so that is problem #1, no heat. Car does not seem to overheat, never gets over half way on the gauge.
#2 problem is it does have a slight misfire, and it puts the Restricted Performance warning up right after it is started. Tried disconnecting the battery, erasing codes, but the Restricted Performance light pops up immediately after starting every time

. I get these codes: P0301, P1316, P0201, P1000. I was also getting P0307, P0174, P0300, but I swapped the coil in cylinder #7 with #5 and these three codes went away. Figured it would come up P0305, but with limited time I have ran it nothing more has come up yet.
My question is, if I were to change the coils and plugs would this eliminate the Restricted Performance problem and codes? Also, which direction would I need to go with the heat issue? I seem to have fixed all the leaks but I have already dumped a couple hundred into it and will probably be a couple hundred more, but really don't want to keep feeding the beast if what I am doing won't fix the problem. The car has other minor issues with heated seats and driver mirror, it is in surprisingly good shape otherwise, has 149xxx miles on it.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Hopefully thread will be moved to correct forum - which has many posts about the kinds of things you ask, with fixes.

Heater (DCCV) valve probably bad. May also have burned out the module but don't fix that without being certain about the DCCV or it'll cause further damage.

Don't rush to change coils but, if you do, keep the old ones as many new ones are fake and a waste of money.

Old 12-21-2022, 08:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by hughga
I recently bought an 05 Jaguar S 4.2 non-supercharged ......
Welcome to the forums hughga,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to S-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 12-21-2022, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 645 Likes on 505 Posts

If you are intent on replacing the coil packs (and at 149K miles, I can see the logic) avoid bargain no-name parts from eBay, etc. Use OEM quality parts from a trusted source. NGK, Delphi, etc. are a good place to start.

You might want to take a look at the plugs, to see if they were changed at the 100K interval. Do you have a service documentation of the car?

Old 12-21-2022, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,090 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Not sure if this is a bad heater core, bad heater valve or possibly a thermostat (does not throw any codes for a thermostat), so that is problem #1, no heat. Car does not seem to overheat, never gets over half way on the gauge.
A little light reading for you:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ol-how-185002/

Specifically, see posts #2 and #6.

The temperature gauge on the dash? Please be aware this gauge is deliberately misleading, as detailed at the following link, so don't rely on it. This is from the XK forum, but the general principle is the same on the S-Type:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-gauge-62813/

Beg, borrow, or steal a scanner and read the raw data for the temperature gauge.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No documentation. I think the guy I got it from probably bought it from someone else that was having problems thinking he would fix it and flip it, but he couldn't figure it out. I figured for $1,000 I could part it out and get my money back if I had to, but it runs really well, despite all the issues.

Old 01-13-2023, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 489 Likes on 374 Posts

No documentation. I think the guy I got it from probably bought it from someone else that was having problems thinking he would fix it and flip it, but he couldn't figure it out. I figured for $1,000 I could part it out and get my money back if I had to, but it runs really well, despite all the issues.
The electronics in these cars are really complicated and it will take a while to get familiar with it. The car looks good and it could probably be fixed at a reasonable cost (another $1000 or two) if you know what you’re doing but there’s a learning curve so how much do you want to put into i? I’ll give you $1000 right now for it lol. I learned my lessons the hard way on my str. . The car was given to me so it was kind of worth it

Old 01-13-2023, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 489 Likes on 374 Posts

I was just thinking about this little bit more when I got my STR somebody had neglected to replace the belly pan and the wheel well liners and that caused water spray to get up in all of the electrical connectors causing endless grief because the computer was getting bad signals or no signals and throwing all sorts of coats so doesn’t have the belly pan and or the wheel liners missing? crap like that seems insignificant Until you see what kind of damage they can do to the wiring and those parts aren’t easy to come by and they’re not cheap when you do find them especially for an STR. I had to get a belly pan from England to give you an idea but you can’t drive without it or else you end up with all sorts of codes and problems. I have no idea why people take those things off and never put them back on but it’s also missing on my parts car

Old 01-13-2023, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
I was just thinking about this little bit more when I got my STR somebody had neglected to replace the belly pan and the wheel well liners and that caused water spray to get up in all of the electrical connectors causing endless grief because the computer was getting bad signals or no signals and throwing all sorts of coats so doesn’t have the belly pan and or the wheel liners missing? crap like that seems insignificant Until you see what kind of damage they can do to the wiring and those parts aren’t easy to come by and they’re not cheap when you do find them especially for an STR. I had to get a belly pan from England to give you an idea but you can’t drive without it or else you end up with all sorts of codes and problems. I have no idea why people take those things off and never put them back on but it’s also missing on my parts car
very good point here. Never really thought about these items other than being in my way for repairs