S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 STR battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,592 Likes on 8,295 Posts

As far as the prohibition on Catalina Island (of all places), I don't know if that's some weird amazon rule or Some California palm tree hugging, but Catalina is probably one of the furthest places I can drive to in the continental US, so I'm not really worried about it.

Ummmm...George..Catalina is just over 20 miles off shore from the mainland. Don't think anybody will be driving there..at least in a very long time. Major earthquakes excluded..

Old 12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Just to clarify a bit. That's on a car driven less than 1,000 to 1,500 miles a year. I also disconnect the battery after every use. Not a ton of electronics but power windows, locks etc. Ten years is a long time, too long. But I did pull it out before it failed completely.

Why not just put a trickle charger on it....

Old 12-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
As far as the prohibition on Catalina Island (of all places), I don't know if that's some weird amazon rule or Some California palm tree hugging, but Catalina is probably one of the furthest places I can drive to in the continental US, so I'm not really worried about it.

Ummmm...George..Catalina is just over 20 miles off shore from the mainland. Don't think anybody will be driving there..at least in a very long time. Major earthquakes excluded..
LOL Sorry! Excuse my west coast ignorance, I've never been further west than Vegas! I'd say why no bridge Florida Keys style, but I guess the earthquake situation would probably make that prohibitive.

On the other hand, since I can't even drive there, it alleviates that concern about my battery

Have a good new year!

George

Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Riski
The are great for ready to go convenience but wear out the battery... Every battery only has a limited amount of charge / discharge cycles.

Best solution for long term storage, whether a car, and / or a lawn tractor or something is disconnecting the battery.

George

Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
results in off gassing - the release of corrosive gas. Theoretically you need to replenish the acid supply as it's boiled off.

These larger lead / acid batteries found in luxury cars (due to increased electronics) all have servicable ports on the cells to add battery acid.
hmm, what I was taught was that as (over)charging occurs, the water (not acid) changes to H2 & O2 which are not strictly corrosive. And you'd need to add (deionised/distilled) water to replenish what's been lost. No need ever to add acid. Was I taught wrong?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
hmm, what I was taught was that as (over)charging occurs, the water (not acid) changes to H2 & O2 which are not strictly corrosive. And you'd need to add (deionised/distilled) water to replenish what's been lost. No need ever to add acid. Was I taught wrong?
In the charged state, each cell contains electrodes of elemental lead (Pb) and lead oxide (PbO2) in an electrolyte of approximately 33.5% v/v (4.2 Molar) sulfuric acid (H2SO4).

In the discharged state both electrodes turn into lead sulfate (PbSO4) and the electrolyte loses its dissolved sulfuric acid and becomes primarily water. Due to the freezing-point depression of water, as the battery discharges and the concentration of sulfuric acid decreases, the electrolyte is more likely to freeze during winter weather.

Because of the open cells with liquid electrolyte in most lead-acid batteries, overcharging with high charging voltages generates oxygen and hydrogen gas by electrolysis of water, forming an explosive mix. The acid electrolyte is also corrosive.

You're right in the adding water not acid. It's been a while since my chem courses lol. And the explosive gas mix is 02 and h2.

Wow, my memory is off lately lol. Sealed batteries do have these advantages still of no offgassing, and no maintenance required.

Take care,

George

Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Riski
Besides what George just mentioned. I have no electricity where I store my cars.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

LOL Sorry! Excuse my west coast ignorance, I've never been further west than Vegas! I'd say why no bridge Florida Keys style, but I guess the earthquake situation would probably make that prohibitive.

On the other hand, since I can't even drive there, it alleviates that concern about my battery

Have a good new year!

George
I was just bustin your chops. I imagine that they got burnt once sending one there via the ferry so the shipping is now an issue to that location. I can think of quite a few others just like that though.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,592 Likes on 8,295 Posts

Have a good new year!

George

No worries, George, I'm fairly ignorant about most things outside of SoCal.
If ignorance is bliss, then I'm a very blissful guy..

Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jayt2
No worries, George, I'm fairly ignorant about most things outside of SoCal.
If ignorance is bliss, then I'm a very blissful guy..
Hey, If I lived in your climate / surroundings I'd probably be pretty ignorant myself

Happy New Year

George

Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Riski - why did you pick the red top? I went with the biggest yellow top that would fit. Helps a bit with my aftermarket stereo. Had to bend the stock battery support in a vice to get it to clamp down right.

Take care,

George
George is this the same battery you have?
Optima Part No. D31A - YellowTop Deep Cycle Batteries

Take care.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag79
George is this the same battery you have?
Optima Part No. D31A - YellowTop Deep Cycle Batteries

Take care.
Yep, that's it.

You have to bend the factory battery support (or improvise - notice the exhaust hanger as well for a bracket). The cables fit fine though, no mods needed there.

Take care,

George