S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 STR fuel/ gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

If what you say is true I actually got screwed about 6 months ago.

Is there a known problem with the gas gauge "system" in this car?

Fuel usage and MPG computer doesn't concern me all that much. For highway travel it's reading a little over 1 mpg to the generous side. That's about a 5% error. Fantastic.

So do other people get an accurate number of miles out of the first indicated 1/4 tank of gas? Again, I'm not expecting perfection but I think mine is pretty far beyond reasonable. But maybe they're all like this? I don't need to bang my head against the wall trying to get the dealer to fix something they really can't.

Last edited by Staatsof; 12-23-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: math error ;)
Old 12-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
If what you say is true I actually got screwed about 6 months ago.

Is there a known problem with the gas gauge "system" in this car?

Fuel usage and MPG computer doesn't concern me all that much. For highway travel it's reading a little over 1 mpg to the generous side. That's about a 20% error. Fantastic.

So do other people get an accurate number of miles out of the first indicated 1/4 tank of gas? Again, I'm not expecting perfection but I think mine is pretty far beyond reasonable. But maybe they're all like this? I don't need to bang my head against the wall trying to get the dealer to fix something they really can't.
Bob, to be honest it really hasn't come up that much here. I personally don't see it with mine, it is pretty steady. But the fuel delivery system is one of the big differences between the regular S and the R so my experience really doesn't count in that area. Other R owners will be the better indicators. As for the computer's accuracy, our two cars are similar and so are the results.
I would solicit more feedback from other R owners. If in fact it is something unique to your car, then I would by all means, pursue it with Jaguar. It may be a real early sign of an impending failure.

Kind of like my "restricted performance" error that came up only under extreme acceleration. Given the component that was failed, it may have taken much longer for it to actually show in normal driving.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jayt2
2 years ago, ( a few months after I got the Jag) I had the "floppy" gas gauge problem, which most likely was from the previous owner letting the tank go too far down causing the jet pump to overheat and fail. It would fluctuate between ~ 3/4 and ~3/8 full over a short time. Luckily, it was fixed under factory warranty, otherwise, it would have been $900-$1000 for the dealer to fix it.
DON"T let the tank go under 1/4 full if you can help it, keep the pumps cool.
Looks like I missed this post as it got in just before I posted one.

Is this a fluke of an issue or does anyone have evidence of there being a substantial number of these cases? Clearly it was for Jayt2. Thanks for posting this.

Heater control valve, HID headlamps, burn't out fuel pumps (flight 800 syndrome?), coolant hose under the supercharger, tranny solenoid issues?

Should I plan on keeping this car?

Old 12-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Staatsof is right..
i think this is a very common problem with the Jaguar S type (or could it be only in the Type R)
the sleeping HID light... the heater control.... the fuel gauges. ..i wonder what else......

Old 12-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Should I plan on keeping this car?
That is up to you, Bob... The only real major PIA that I see you may have to look forward to is the coolant line under the supercharger...

Also the trans sleve... But that is super easy during a fluid change to fix..

What tranny solenoid are you talking about? I only know of the issue with the Ford 5 speed in the early cars..

Kind of had this same conversation with my Jersey family comparing their BMW's to the Jag... All of their BMW's are garage queens except for Doug's 1998 325ic. That has basically had a new trans, heater core, suspension parts, plus other little engine and interior repairs. All this at less than 150k miles... So, the "benchmark" is no better or worse than the "unreliable" brand... LOL

Honestly, he admits that the BMW is just as problem prone as other Euro cars, meaning the Jaguars are no worse than the rest...

Are there better, sure.. But as with anything there is a trade off... Reason why I'll deal with drippy lines and other PIA things so that I'm not stuffed into a glorified Camry or Accord that is peddled by the likes of Lexus and Acura..Sorry, but those are fine cars for people that really don't love cars..Perfectly reliable appliances with the luxury trapings..I want more and am willing to fiddle with repairs to get it....

Old 12-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

The potential deal-breaker issues for me are the hose under the supercharger (seems well beyond my DIY abilities) and the freakin ZF autobox (mainly its lack of dipstick and PITA unjustifiably costly oil issues) - except I know now that ZF boxes are in many cars I might view as STR alternatives.

I suspect I've never taken much if any notice of the fuel gauge between the markings Bob mentions but since there's a Range value I'm not sure why the gauge is even there. If I could figure an easy way to make it a Boost gauge or the like, I would

(I don't want and can't afford - except a crock - a Lexus.)

Old 12-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

The thing is, I have had quite a few different cars and some of them were quite a bit of work but I put up with this because of the fun factor involved. That and I was able to fix some of the stuff myself. Having sold my house with the large amount of garage space and a lift I'm not longer able to quite as much as I used to. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to get involved with an extensive or expensive repair job on this car. The transmission is definitely an on the car lift job for this old bird. I do still have a lift but it's not accessible for me at this time. Tackling the hose under the supercharger means it needs to be in a garage and apart for a while. Really, that needs to be in a shop. My garage is barely more than a parking space. It's pretty tight. The idea of a failed fuel pump or worse because you left the tank(s) go to empty is so stupid it pisses me off. That one is maybe more than a DIY project but definitely on a lift.

I remember when the 4300 Maserati Coupe first showed up here I heard a similar story but much more expensive. I'm not even certain this is accurate but the story is that it too has a pair of dual tanks. Lot's of vintage Maserati's did as well as dual pumps but that was usually in case one failed. With the 4200 these geniuses supposedly had a pump for each tank and each tank fed one of the banks of the engine. There was a cross over between the tanks but not at the output of the pumps. Well I guess a problem of some sort occurred and one bank ran lean and fried the valves on one bank.

I know other cars have problems as well. It's one reason an awful lot of people lease the GD things. Leasing makes zero sense at this point in my life. Serious stuff didn't show up on my Q45 until about 120K miles and that was every bit as sophisticated a car and fun to drive as well. It was no boring Lexus.

I actually did have to replace the fuel pump on the Q45. That wasn't particularly fun either but you took out the rear seat back and got to it from the top. Another in-the-tank design sealed with a gigantic O-ring. I imagine the STR involves a fair amount of other equipment to remove from underneath before you can get to stuff. Tight packaging design.

Maybe I can just get Priest to bless my vehicle once a month instead ...

Old 12-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I'm with you, Bob. I don't mind routine maintenance and actually enjoy quite a bit of that type of work, but I won't put up with continuous expensive repairs that require taking half the freaking engine compartment apart. I no longer have the time, desire, or Achilles tendons to do that as I did 25 to 30 years ago. As I've stated multiple times on this forum, if and when our S-Type crosses over into that category, it's gone....

Old 12-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

I've no idea whether the fuel pumps often fry - if ever - but just would not take the chance when all I have to do is add fuel. Replacement sounds fairly easy from under the rear seat but I'm doing my best never to have to find out. I don't have another vehicle, or a place to put one (can't even open the jag doors more than a little in the garage as it is), nor the desire to fund the considerable expense over here of owning (annually insuring, taxing, testing, etc - all legally mandated) another car. No place to put a lift and wow are they expensive, even used. I'm lucky to have a garage of any kind.

The following users liked this post:
steadicam (11-05-2011)
Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

There is a TSB about erratic fuel gauge readings but only for the non super charger cars. Here is a copy. Maybe it will help?

Attached Files
Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

It should be for cars made earlier than Bob's, too, I think.

There's an SC version for VIN M45255-N14000 (TSB S310-04) but again I think that will be before Bob's VIN. It also sounds to be different (not as Bob describes).

Old 12-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Veteran member

I imagine the STR involves a fair amount of other equipment to remove from underneath before you can get to stuff. Tight packaging design.

Maybe I can just get Priest to bless my vehicle once a month instead ...
Nope, easy.... Remove rear seat cusion..Remove access panel, remove fuel pump(s)..

Old 12-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Same for the the STR? That's great news.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
There is a TSB about erratic fuel gauge readings but only for the non super charger cars. Here is a copy. Maybe it will help?
Yeah, that's not what mine does. I have a similar issue on another car (also with dual tanks) but it's a 1971 Espada that's using a cheap POS Fiat sender in the tank that's not really calibrated (ha ha ha) to the tanks peculiarities. You sort of expect that with those old cars.

This is just an overly quick drop from full to 3/4 and of course the fact that it attempts to terrify you on those long and rural night trips through Georgia by telling you that you have 5 miles left after consuming 14.5 gallons. That's right after the "Next Gas 20 Miles" has just flashed by"

Time to queue up the Deliverance soundtrack ...

Old 12-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Yeah, that's not what mine does. I have a similar issue on another car (also with dual tanks) but it's a 1971 Espada that's using a cheap POS Fiat sender in the tank that's not really calibrated (ha ha ha) to the tanks peculiarities. You sort of expect that with those old cars.

This is just an overly quick drop from full to 3/4 and of course the fact that it attempts to terrify you on those long and rural night trips through Georgia by telling you that you have 5 miles left after consuming 14.5 gallons. That's right after the "Next Gas 20 Miles" has just flashed by"

Time to queue up the Deliverance soundtrack ...
Bob,

I guess we'll have to add this to our list of discussion topics. My car's fuel gauge is less than accurate as well. First 3/4 almost dissapears (the car sometimes never seems truly full even after filling up), and it gets erratic after its less than 1/4. What mine does is you will park the car with say 80 miles left and an indicated 1/4 tank or a bit under, then fire it up the next day, and it will be suddenly lower. (I understand the range calculations, but why would the needle move??).

I just got gas 12.57 gallons, 255 miles traveled, 20.07 mpg exactly.

My car showed less than 1/8 a tank, and the dash read 37 miles of range. BUT I only took on 12.5 gallons? Ran out to get cream for our coffee and dessert and figured I'd better fill up considering we're now expecting a blizzard tomorrow.

George

Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Because the fuel tank/gauge system design is a f*cked up mess on these cars. Don't count on anything you see from the gauge or the computer to be terribly precise.

When I fill it up the gauge starts dropping as I exit the gas station. I get about 15-20 miles on the first indicated 1/4 of tank. When I calculate actual mileage versus what the computer says the mileage is a couple mpg better. Best I ever see is 20.7 (calculated) on long runs using cruise control. It's joke of a system.
OK, I've compared with mine and I just don't see the same in my 2004 (before the facelift) STR.

I've been doing urban mileage recently (it's that time of year) but still got 61 miles before the gauge dropped to 3/4. Range left says 254, sounds plausible.

Long term mpg is almost exactly what I get using a calculator to check the figure.

You'll have the revised dash dials (extra chrome? trim etc) but I thought those were just cosmetic.

Maybe yours needs the R176 recall and is spilling the gas when full? Wouldn't it throw EVAP codes, though???

Old 11-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fwiw My 03 stype wasn't great about reading the gas level. Especially at 3/4 of tank.But My 05 STR will only take 14 gal after running the thing for miles after the low fuel light comes on.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Because the fuel tank/gauge system design is a f*cked up mess on these cars. Don't count on anything you see from the gauge or the computer to be terribly precise.

When I fill it up the gauge starts dropping as I exit the gas station. I get about 15-20 miles on the first indicated 1/4 of tank. When I calculate actual mileage versus what the computer says the mileage is a couple mpg better. Best I ever see is 20.7 (calculated) on long runs using cruise control. It's joke of a system.

There are two free-formed fuel tanks that are squeezed into irregularly shaped voids in this car with multiple fuel pumps to get the fuel to the engine. I suspect these problems have something to do with that fact.

I've never put more than about 14.5 gallons in the tank and that's when it says I've got less than ten miles left. I guess there's some fudge factor in the system but having a computer tell you such BS doesn't inspire confidence.

I suppose we should add this one to the annoying list thread.

Bob S.
I would have to agree with this. I've filled my car up from the needle being on or below E and haven't gotten more than 14.8 gallons in the tank.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

You have an 05 so has it had the TSB re the sender carried out?

TSB S310-07v2

It sounds like probably not.

S310-04 might also apply.

Last edited by JagV8; 05-29-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
You have an 05 so has it had the TSB re the sender carried out?

TSB S310-07v2

It sounds like probably not.

S310-04 might also apply.
Oh no, I'm fine now. The dealer took care of it. I just wanted others to know were they having the problem, they could get it fixed at no cost. I am completely happy.

Quick Reply: 05 STR fuel/ gas tank