Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 V6 3.0 S-Type, multiple codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
.Ah well, we all know it's Kyuu's fault, anyway, since he said "in cyl #1!"
Yeah that's my bad, I didn't go far enough to get to the cylinders. Sparkplug well #1*

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Was your cam cover starting to corrode? So far, I'm the only one that will admit it....
The coil seals were getting some wear but nothing like the photos you posted, as far as I could tell.

Originally Posted by kr98664
The problem is you've already reassembled the engine. This little bit of crud may not be a big problem, but if the misfire issue still lingers, unfortunately you may have to get back in to make sure everything is nice and clean.
Let's hope I don't have to, though if I do it will be at least quicker to do.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:30 AM

So... I get into the car and hear rapid beeping lasting some 5-10 seconds then it stops. I open the door and it happens again. I go ahead and replaced the battery but the car still won't start or crank, the starter isn't clicking either. Not entirely sure what's going on now considering I drove out of the garage and another 100 meters before this.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

New batteries are rarely fully charged, though it is rare to buy and install one that won't even get you a crank. The beeping is likely the EPB trying to draw your attention to the info center where it is telling you, "Apply parking brake" or some such thing. Look in the stickies, there's a thread about all the procedures you are supposed to go through after battery disconnection including park brake reset, window calibration and throttle calibration. None of that should prevent the engine from cranking. Seems I recall quite a few threads here, though along the lines of, "I replaced the battery and now it won't start" maybe search those out and see what the resolution was.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Sounds like bad power... failing battery is #1 suspect but could be bad power/ground connection.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I'll just leave this here...

Originally Posted by kr98664
I just considered the source and realized you were blatantly and embarrassingly wrong again.
Originally Posted by Kyuu
Aholbro hit it on the head with corrosion.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 04:44 PM

After googling and searching here, finding worse case scenarios like; bad starter/connections, fuse box corrosion, bad harness cables and all around bad **** I came across the issue some have with the J-Gate. Mine would not let me out of Park and some people's symptoms, no-crank no-start.

Noticed my gear selector's lights weren't illuminated so the Internet's conclusion was something on the line of "the J-Gate and transmission's gear dont' match" hence no-crank no-start. Took the plate off and manually moved the selector out of Park where then I could freely move it to Drive and back into Park. Now she starts right up without issue. Needing to do grocery shopping I will recheck the idle RPM again.

Last edited by Kyuu; 11-04-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Toon many ts
Old 11-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyuu
Noticed my gear selector's lights weren't illuminated so the Internet's conclusion was something on the line of "the J-Gate and transmission's gear dont't match" hence no-crank no-start. Took the plate off and manually moved the selector out of Park where then I could freely move it to Drive and back into Park. Now she starts right up without issue.
More details about how the J-gate lights get their signal to illuminate and also allow the starter to engage:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-usual-184878/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...thread-184773/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-p1797-142604/

On 2003+ cars, the shift cable is notorious for loosening from the transmission. Look where the cable attaches and you should see two small bolts. They back out and suddenly the cable is no longer able to move the input mechanism on the transmission. With this type of failure, the transmission will be stuck wherever it was when the bolts worked loose. Most likely it would be stuck so as to turn on one light (not necessarily P or N needed to start), but it could be between two positions so no light is on. I'd check that before going into FullPanicMode(tm) and worrying about other possibilities.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:34 PM

Recalibrated throttle body. At start-up the engine idles at 1,000 RPM then decreases to 750 RPM shortly after. I took the car to O'reilly to turn in the old battery for the desposal deposit back and while I was there I got an OBD reading. Codes 1313 and 1316 were now gone, asked to clear the codes and the employee did so on the down-low. Check engine light is now off and hasn't thrown any codes as of yet. will watch for irregularities but so far everything seems OK.

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (11-04-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Check those 2 trans bolts (8mm hex head)! Loose or absent is quite likely.

Side of the trans, underneath the car, where the shifter cable enters the trans.