S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? 06 str

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Jeff, Remove the stock paper air filter and unscrew the solenoid actuated air intake baffle found on the bottom half of air box. Put it somewhere if ya want to keep it. Now drop in a K&N flat panel air filter into the stock air box. Mafioso has a modded intake in the works that proved on a dyno to wring out 13 hp @ 7 lb/ft torque on a stock motor. We're waiting for it to reach production. The STR's exhaust is purposely clogged-up by Jaguar to be quiet. So you're gunna weld in a pair of Magnaflow hi-flo cats, 2 1/2" pipe, followed by a Magnaflow x-pipe (2 1/2"), 2 1/2" pipe to a pair of 12" Dynomax glass packed tube pre-mufflers (behave as resonators), 2 1/2" pipe over the axle to a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos. This full exhaust mod should yield approx. 30 hp and torque not failing to mention an authoritive but not overbearing exhaust note. Next call EuroToys and order a low temperature thermostat and a 2.5/3.0 supercharger pulley. The pulley alone yields approx. 30 hp and torque. Viola! Approx 75 hp and torque. If you think she's kind of quick and grunty now....
sounds like fairly simple and not too pricey upgrades, Not that it's a real issue but with these mod's I would think it would help a bit on fuel consumption if you can keep your foot out of it. Would these mods effect an extended warrenty ?
Thanks again all for the info. Jeff

Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Jeff, I forgot to mention H&R Sport Springs to drop her 1 1/4". She'll love ya cause she can breath much better= more power. Along with a low temp thermo, the uncorked exhaust lowers block temps too= more power due to less heat soak thus causing the ECU not pull back timing but add more ignition lead with more boost from the 2.5/3.0 pulley= more power. The ECU adapts wonderfully to the new found gulps of air and accomodates accordingly with more fuel and spark lead. More power moves the 3900 lb. mass more efficiently= less fuel consumption. You'll def. notice the increase in power and torque. Though I'll hopefully prove with a dyno...I'm guessing with Mafioso's air intake tube; my STR will be belting out 475 hp @ 500 lb/ft torque. BMW's, Audi's, MB, and American muscle? They'd never know what hit em. Yes, these mods are "relatively" inexpensive.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:20 PM

Jeff, I forgot to mention H&R Sport Springs to drop her 1 1/4". She'll love ya cause she can breath much better= more power. Along with a low temp thermo, the uncorked exhaust lowers block temps too= more power due to less heat soak thus causing the ECU not pull back timing but add more ignition lead with more boost from the 2.5/3.0 pulley= more power. The ECU adapts wonderfully to the new found gulps of air and accomodates accordingly with more fuel and spark lead. More power moves the 3900 lb. mass more efficiently= less fuel consumption. You'll def. notice the increase in power and torque. Though I'll hopefully prove with a dyno...I'm guessing with Mafioso's air intake tube; my STR will be belting out 475 hp @ 500 lb/ft torque. BMW's, Audi's, MB, and American muscle? They'd never know what hit em. Yes, these mods are "relatively" inexpensive.
Yes springs for sure to give a little better stance, and each performance upgrade one at a time all good stuff.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Amen.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff, Remove the stock paper air filter and unscrew the solenoid actuated air intake baffle found on the bottom half of air box. Put it somewhere if ya want to keep it. Now drop in a K&N flat panel air filter into the stock air box. Mafioso has a modded intake in the works that proved on a dyno to wring out 13 hp @ 7 lb/ft torque on a stock motor. We're waiting for it to reach production. The STR's exhaust is purposely clogged-up by Jaguar to be quiet. So you're gunna weld in a pair of Magnaflow hi-flo cats, 2 1/2" pipe, followed by a Magnaflow x-pipe (2 1/2"), 2 1/2" pipe to a pair of 12" Dynomax glass packed tube pre-mufflers (behave as resonators), 2 1/2" pipe over the axle to a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos. This full exhaust mod should yield approx. 30 hp and torque not failing to mention an authoritive but not overbearing exhaust note. Next call EuroToys and order a low temperature thermostat and a 2.5/3.0 supercharger pulley. The pulley alone yields approx. 30 hp and torque. Viola! Approx 75 hp and torque. If you think she's kind of quick and grunty now....
OMG that sounds disgusting (in a good way of course).

Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Lol! After re-reading my post it kinda does sound a little disgusting at the end. Wait a minute! GlockJag where did you come from? Ya new here?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:27 AM

Hello,
K & N along with baffle mod. first on list. Is there a thread on the the baffle or fairly basic ? Should a normal auto perts carry filter or should I order online. Getting her first detail this a.m.
Thx again for info. Jeff

Old 11-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Oder at your favorite parts store for $49 or less. They'll hve it next day instead of onlines 3 to 4 days plus shipping. Check Vance580 or whatever the number is; intake baffle removal. Just google it in the "Check Forum" device.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome aboard Jeff!! I found this website by accident and it has great info!! I'm loving my '06 STR. Mine's got about 47K miles on it now and haven't had any real issues.....just an o2 sensor on the left cat.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:07 PM

Just completed my first mod K&N and removed intake flapper. Next going to order H&R springs and powder coating wheels matte black (need to change attitude of car).
Lurking at past threads tonight (what a loser sat. night my wife and I chillin watchin t.v.). found production numbers of STR's under 1500 in U.S. total, pretty impresive. I have a 95 BMW M-3 light weight and only 120 were produced 80 to U.S. and i pulled the battery so I wont drive it (32,000 miles). My STR is my daily driver with those low # maybe I should park it in my back garage next to the M-3 and the Carrera.
Must say fun car.
Jeff

Old 12-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member

Excellent Jeff. Let me know when yer ready to un leash her "inner cat".