S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

170000km is too long to leave your cats in .

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016 | 09:27 AM

Don't use the extensions on the downstream O2 sensors, or minicats, or any other way of tricking the sensors. The downstream sensors are also used for fuelling and if you fool them you will have other problems. Look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post1210935

If you are getting a CEL or codes because of high-flow cats, there is a way to turn off the catalyst efficiency monitoring in the ECU, but you need access to the IDS or SDD diagnostic computer to do it. I can help you out with this if it pops up.

Last edited by Cambo; 07-16-2016 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JagSTR2004 (07-16-2016)
Old 07-16-2016 | 09:44 AM

Thanks Cambo, I may need to contact you in the near future if I do get a CEL. I was going to take my car toTom Lenthall to get a torque limiter delete and add some spark advance too once it's back from the mechanic next week. Is this also something you can do?

Old 07-16-2016 | 10:09 AM

The custom tune that's in my XJR can also be flashed into the STR, it's the same file up to 2005MY.

The torque limiters have been raised and the fuel & timing tweaked a little. But honestly with a pulley on it, it doesn't add to the peak HP numbers, above 4500rpm or so the power is the same as stock. The pulley kills the fun in the top end.

The big difference is the power/torque down low, with the torque limiters raised it's a tyre fryer from idle, you can really understand why they throttled the engine back at low revs in the stock tune.

Old 07-16-2016 | 07:05 PM
|
Veteran Member

No it did not need mini cats/extenders .
These are pre obd cats and I just welded the o2 threaded bosses in at each end were it tapers up. No CEL/MIL .
Part no# and specs below .

Specifications:
Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter, Part Number 59956
Catalytic Converter Body Material: Stainless
Catalytic Converter Substrate Material: Metallic Substrate
Cells Per Square Inch (CPI): 200
Catalytic Converter Inlet Diameter: 2.5"
Catalytic Converter Outlet Diameter: 2.5"
Catalytic Converter Diameter: 4"
Catalytic Converter Overall Length: 8"
Heavier-gauge stainless steel, tip-to-tip. Other manufacturers use mixed weights and materials.
24 month warranty

JagSTR2004 (07-17-2016)
Old 07-16-2016 | 07:20 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
The custom tune that's in my XJR can also be flashed into the STR, it's the same file up to 2005MY.

The torque limiters have been raised and the fuel & timing tweaked a little. But honestly with a pulley on it, it doesn't add to the peak HP numbers, above 4500rpm or so the power is the same as stock. The pulley kills the fun in the top end.

The big difference is the power/torque down low, with the torque limiters raised it's a tyre fryer from idle, you can really understand why they throttled the engine back at low revs in the stock tune.
What pulley are yo using ?
I have been on the quest for more power with this car since the day after I bought it , for now obvease reasons .
Not any more ! I'm contempt for now .
Although I would love the T/S kit just to say I've done it -
I will now do some cosmetic repairs to channal my money away .
Surely leaving the torqu limiter alone will help get it off the line . I have real sticky dunlops on the back and it still wants to spin them, I can't amagine more low down grunt would help timed runs at all without a LSD. Am I rong .

Old 07-16-2016 | 08:06 PM

Hopefully you will be lucky and it won't trip a P0420 or P0430, but even with 200 cells they will eventually pop up on the stock settings.

I have the smallest pulley from Powerhouse in the UK. Had to machine down the snout of the blower to fit it. With hindsight one of the pulleys that doesn't need machining might be a better idea.

The tune + pulley is monstrous power down low. Even with the Quaife LSD in this car it will light them up without much effort. Difference is now it's spinning both wheels, not just in the inside lol

At the dragstrip it's been OK actually, just have to really warm them up first.

Datsports (07-16-2016)
Old 07-16-2016 | 10:31 PM
|
Veteran Member

cool I'm pleased i went with the powerhouse 1.5psi pulley
i think yours is a 3psi .
if my car throws the occasional code for cats . thats fine ,that is a small price to pay for the rejuvenated power . and now knowing the monitors pass then sweet as .
I've done around 500km with no codes as yet so fingers x-ed .long may it last.
would love that quaife . will it fit the S and do you just buy a spool from quaife and bolt it to the crown ?. and also who flashed your ECM and did you send it away or via obd11 port ? no one round here that i know of that can do it .
sorry of the 20 questions . just very curious.

Old 07-17-2016 | 12:05 AM

You don't have to go with a Quaife, there is another way to do it. Which will be cheaper too.

If you get the diff and driveshafts from a 4.0L V8 S-Type, swap the 2.87 gears from your diff into that one, and then use any old Ford 8.8" 28-spline LSD center.

The 4.0L V8's have 3.31 gears in them, so if you want to use those in an STR you will need the car reprogrammed.

The tune I have is flashed using the IDS or SDD diagnostic system, it goes in the same way as the factory file. So you need an IDS or SDD. I have a spare system could loan you but shipping back & forth over the Tasman costs a bit I reckon...

Old 07-17-2016 | 10:48 AM

You don't have to go with a Quaife, there is another way to do it. Which will be cheaper too.

If you get the diff and driveshafts from a 4.0L V8 S-Type, swap the 2.87 gears from your diff into that one, and then use any old Ford 8.8" 28-spline LSD center.

The 4.0L V8's have 3.31 gears in them, so if you want to use those in an STR you will need the car reprogrammed.

The tune I have is flashed using the IDS or SDD diagnostic system, it goes in the same way as the factory file. So you need an IDS or SDD. I have a spare system could loan you but shipping back & forth over the Tasman costs a bit I reckon...
This is exactly what I'm looking to do with the diff, as even with a 1.7lb pulley, k&n filter, caldoofy pipe and sports backboxes the rear tyres, or TYRE should I say, lighted up very easily without even going to WOT. I'll be looking for a broken 4.0 s type to take the driveshafts and diff to transplant a 8.8" 28 spline lsd like a Trac-Loc in the coming months.

I would be grateful for your tune when my car comes back from the mechanic next week with my TS supercharger. I'm using the stock throttle body and MAF for now so Avos thinks I'll hit the torque limiter which will revert my car back to stock power. Will then need the torque limiter removed to hit 400+ rwhp. Apparently it's just raising the max airflow limit of the MAF?

Old 07-17-2016 | 04:38 PM
|
Veteran Member

Wow Cambo , that really is a generous offer , I think I would be an idiot to turn that down . I think with an offer like that you will have a que to lease it & you will have a new passive income renting this IDS/SSD out , I recon your diognostic unit will be about to do some serious Milage , is the file pre loaded on your ids ? Or do I need to source another one?

Old 07-17-2016 | 05:32 PM

OK guys, PM me your email addresses and let's see how we can make this work...

I know a guy in the UK (Essex) who would be able to flash the tune in with IDS, i'm not sending one of my kits over there, within AUS/NZ is the limit for me.

JagSTR2004 (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016 | 05:50 PM

PM'd! Thank you for helping us fulfill our search of more power Cambo

Old 07-22-2016 | 02:35 AM
|
Veteran Member

just a quick update , the exhaust was done on monday . i had the x pipe shifted from mid ship to just behind the trans . i was going to have the factory twin through 2.1/4 resonator refitted to quieten it down, the exhaust guy said it was silent when he sat it up there then he noticed it was only 2.1/4 and couldn't bring him self to bottle neck it . and would not have it on ! and told me after i heard it . i wasn't going to argue , he fitted two 2.5'' flow master silver bullet resonators to the mid ship . and man does it sound beautiful. it has a lovely pulse, sounds deep and not too loud . no drone ether . so its now 2.5'' from front to back very open and surprisingly respectful to my neighbors when not on boost .

Last edited by Datsports; 07-22-2016 at 02:37 AM.