Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Ton Capacity, 12 Volt Scissor Jack

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 2 Ton Capacity, 12 Volt Electric Scissor Jack

Since our Jags have the frame seams, I thought about purchasing this electric jack stand from Harbor Tools which would make a nice replacement for the POS OEM Jag Scissor Jack . http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-c...ack-95851.html Has anyone used this electric jack before and if so whats your take on it? For the price its pretty reasonable and the main thing I like about it; its electric powered!!! and compact .

Last edited by jag79; 11-15-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

pretty freakin cool, I may have to go get one!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I've used one, works great. A lot better than sitting there hand cranking for 10 mins!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I've used one, works great. A lot better than sitting there hand cranking for 10 mins!
Why not it makes you more manly and puts hair on your chest. LOL.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Not a big fan of scissors jacks

Is it any more stable than that pathetic factory Jack?

The last time I used one of these scissors jacks in an emergency situation it damn near killed me. I had a massive blow-out on my Q45 on a raised portion of the Jersey Turnpike about 3 miles south of the Secaucus toll booths. What a horrible place to have to pull over with all those tractor trailers, garbage trucks etc. whizzing by. Yikes! So when I got the car up on the jack it almost immediately fell over because the overpass was bouncing so violently from all the heavy truck traffic. It was even hard to walk! I opted for a flatbed tow.

Bob S.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Bob, car makers probably expect a stable road surface. That sounds horrific!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

The one I used looked pretty stout. It was used in a garage that had a solid floor. My buddy had to use the scissor jack because his car was too low to get a traditional jack under.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Bob, car makers probably expect a stable road surface. That sounds horrific!
I know they do but in the real world surfaces aren't always hard, smooth, level or even stable! Even in my garage I don't like them but yes that was quite the horror show that day.

Something with at least a 6"x6" footprint would make me a lot more comfortable.

Harborfreight Tools has some low prices for jacks and I have a couple of their aluminum floor jacks for the race car but I have to admit they kind of make me a tad nervous at times. They make some strange noises once in a while.

Bob S.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

hmm, race cars are often low and LIGHT so the jacks can be likewise.... (and not suitable for the er fat cat LOL)

Old 11-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,391 Likes on 2,867 Posts

About three months ago I replaced the pathetic factory scissors jack with a much sturdier and stronger scissors jack that Advanced Auto Parts had on sale here in our neck of the woods. It was on sale for about $35 and I had a $25 coupon so I wound up paying about ten bucks for the jack. Well worth it, and I was able to make it fit into the styrofoam storage doughnut in the trunk with a few cuts here and there on the doughnut with my trusty Exacto knife. The new jack works very well and will not collapse, unlike the lousy factory jack that will cave if you just look at it menacingly. Just like the crappy factory two-piece lug nuts, the crappy factory scissors jack needs to be replaced as soon as you acquire the vehicle. The factory jacks just aren't safe....

Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Built in air jacks are only way to go ...

My race car isn't all that light, 3K pounds with me in it and a full tank of fuel but it's no Jaguar cruiser either.

Originally Posted by jagv8
hmm, race cars are often low and LIGHT so the jacks can be likewise.... (and not suitable for the er fat cat LOL)

Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
Why not it makes you more manly and puts hair on your chest. LOL.
Chest hair I don't need. However, if it magically re-grew hair on my rather barren head, I would buy it for sure.

Mike

Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

If you carry a floor jack in your kit I'd highly recommend an adapter to keep from mangling the pinch welds if you should have to jack up on the factory jack points, something like this (i have a similar one):
http://www.eastwood.com/floor-jack-a...odel-cars.html

I use a 3/4 inch socket on the end of my cordless drill to speed up the process if I must use one. But I carry a lightweight floor jack on any extended distance travels. I hate scissor jacks.

I have some Harbor Freight stuff, mostly disposable supplies for grinding and sanding, etc. The few tools i have used from them have been, uh, less than high quality. I don't know if I would trust a jack from them.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same thing Chris which works great and also for more then just the jag. My jack has its own carrying case and sits in the trunk. If the wife breaks down, she is calling Triple A anyway so not in the car for her use. If me and breakdown, feel safe having to do anything under the car with it.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

No I'm not reccomending people carry a floor jack. A AAA card is much more compact.

I wish all the other people who list these cars wouldn't crush those spots but it's tough to watch everyone all of the time.

I bought some hockey pucks and slotted a pair of them to make an adapter. So those sit on top of my floor jacks and work very nicely. I leave them in the trunk now.

A bunch of my track buddies use the aluminum racing jacks from Harbor Freight. The bigger ones are fine but they're smaller sized one is maybe not such a good idea except on really light cars.

Originally Posted by The Chris X
If you carry a floor jack in your kit I'd highly recommend an adapter to keep from mangling the pinch welds if you should have to jack up on the factory jack points, something like this (i have a similar one):
http://www.eastwood.com/floor-jack-a...odel-cars.html

I use a 3/4 inch socket on the end of my cordless drill to speed up the process if I must use one. But I carry a lightweight floor jack on any extended distance travels. I hate scissor jacks.

I have some Harbor Freight stuff, mostly disposable supplies for grinding and sanding, etc. The few tools i have used from them have been, uh, less than high quality. I don't know if I would trust a jack from them.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
A bunch of my track buddies use the aluminum racing jacks from Harbor Freight. The bigger ones are fine but they're smaller sized one is maybe not such a good idea except on really light cars.

I broke one of those smallers ones with the Jag. I was jacking up the car to take the wheel off when it broke near the bottle.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Upadate, Purchased 2 Electric Scissor Jacks

Hey guys, I went ahead and purchased 2 of the Electric Scissor Jacks from Harbor Tools. I used them today to test it out. Well first off, it was damm easy! Worked like a charm. The Pinch Welds fit nicely on the grooved out saddle thats on the jack. The Jack has a remote for going up and down, and manual override just in case the motor burns out. I placed one on each side and connected it to a dual cigarette lighter splitter so that I can power both the jacks simulataneoulsy. Once it was jacked up I placed the rhino ramps under the front wheels b/c my car is lowered with the H&R springs, so i can't easily drive up on the ramps without scraping the lower end front bumper . Anyhow it works perfect, I highly recommend this must have Scissor Jack for your Jag.

Last edited by jag79; 11-17-2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Glad to hear it worked out for ya.

Call me crazy but I also keep a jack stand in the car when travelling, along with a small hydro floor jack.

Good tip on the hockey pucks Staatsof, sounds like a cheaper yet effective alternative for conserving the pinch welds. Maybe I can convince a Penguin to spare a couple for me at the game tomorrow night.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

You really have to be careful and know what you're doing with a table saw to shape those hockey pucks. I've been a woodworker for quite some time so I knew the potential hazzards of cutting rubber with a saw like that.

But one slotted and trimmed to fit the lift point plus another full one underneath it to get some height works like a charm.

Bob S.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Awesome my local HF is out of stock but I'll be picking one up

Originally Posted by jag79
Hey guys, I went ahead and purchased 2 of the Electric Scissor Jacks from Harbor Tools. I used them today to test it out. Well first off, it was damm easy! Worked like a charm. The Pinch Welds fit nicely on the grooved out saddle thats on the jack. The Jack has a remote for going up and down, and manual override just in case the motor burns out. I placed on on each side and connected it to a dual cigarette lighter splitter so that I can power both the jacks simulataneoulsy. Once it was jacked up I placed the rhino ramps under the front wheels b/c my car is lowered with the H&R springs, so i can't easily drive up on the ramps without scraping the lower end front bumper . Anyhow it works perfect, I highly recommend this must have Scissor Jack for Jag.

Quick Reply: 2 Ton Capacity, 12 Volt Scissor Jack