S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 4.0 (DIY) replacement –Timing chains, Tensioners, Water pump, etc, etc. FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I have read your progress and might have missed this but do you have the proper tool to lock the cams in the correct position when you install the new chains and tensioners??

Here is a picture of the flats on the cams that the alignment tool is attached to. In this picture the cams are OUT of position. This is a Lincoln 3.9 L Engine but the Jaguar is the same.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 4.0 (DIY) replacement –Timing chains, Tensioners, Water pump, etc, etc. FAQ-3.9l-camshaft-out-position.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 PM
tdc
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
I have read your progress and might have missed this but do you have the proper tool to lock the cams in the correct position when you install the new chains and tensioners??

Here is a picture of the flats on the cams that the alignment tool is attached to. In this picture the cams are OUT of position. This is a Lincoln 3.9 L Engine but the Jaguar is the same.

Hey Tbird6.. Thank you for the your concern, I do appreciate it.. I actually just got all of my tools today. Now I need to figure out how to use them.. the pic above really helps..

Thank you for your time and help

TDC.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:47 PM
tdc

Ok now we / I can have some fun.. Here are all of the parts I was expecting. Almost $900.00 worth of parts.. Ahhhhh.. I could think of 1000 other things I would rather spend the money on at this moment.. But life moves on and me bitching about it, isn’t going to help either..

And all of my specialty tools finally arrived too..

Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 PM
tdc

Ok so I split the case and found this.. ouch all of my chain guides are broken and cracked.. Well it’s a good thing I planned ahead and assumed the worst..

Old 11-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

tdc;
It does not look like you got the cam locking tool? The reason I ask is the picture I posted was from a guy who did this repair WITHOUT the cam locking tool. He spent weeks trying to figure out why the car did not run right. It started and was drivable but low on power and ran rough. He finally found it by stripping everything back down for the second time. It sounded like a ton of work and just wanted to warn you about this.

The picture below is a rough idea of what the tool looks like.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 4.0 (DIY) replacement –Timing chains, Tensioners, Water pump, etc, etc. FAQ-cam-tool.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

tdc - more great pics - thanks! Ooooh, those look s-c-a-r-y! But, good job you're doing the work.
You may be able to borrow/hire (make?) the tool tbird mentions. I think it'll need to be strong, though.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,892 Posts

tdc:
Oops! I do see it now! Sorry about that! Really like the pictures!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 PM
tdc

tdc;
It does not look like you got the cam locking tool? The reason I ask is the picture I posted was from a guy who did this repair WITHOUT the cam locking tool. He spent weeks trying to figure out why the car did not run right. It started and was drivable but low on power and ran rough. He finally found it by stripping everything back down for the second time. It sounded like a ton of work and just wanted to warn you about this.

The picture below is a rough idea of what the tool looks like.

thanks for checking and asking... I really do aprcaite it.. but I'm good to go..

thanks again thou..

TDC.

Originally Posted by jagv8
tdc - more great pics - thanks! Ooooh, those look s-c-a-r-y! But, good job you're doing the work.
Originally Posted by jagv8
You may be able to borrow/hire (make?) the tool tbird mentions. I think it'll need to be strong, though.

Hey thanks for the kind words and thoughts sir..

I think thou, I've got it..

Only time will tell at this point.. LOL..

Have a great one Jagv8 and thanks again for your time

tdc.

Originally Posted by clubairth1
tdc:
Originally Posted by clubairth1
Oops! I do see it now! Sorry about that! Really like the pictures!

No worries and no problem at all.. we are here to help out each other and I really like the input / doubly checking..

Thank you..

Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 PM
tdc

Ok so after jacking the car back up and using the “jack stands” safety first people. I found and disconnected the crankshaft position sensor and ultimately installed the Crankshaft setting / TDC peg.. (I think it called that) you most position the crankshaft so that the setting / TDC peg engages fully into the timing slot and secure it using the original position sensor nut.

Now it was time to lockdown the cams.. Install the camshaft locking tool 303-530 to the right-hand bank camshafts, aligning the shafts as necessary, (find the flat spots) on the cams and tighten.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 PM
tdc

OK.. At this point team, everything is locked down and I’m now free to begin the removal of everything from the right bank. I removed everything from the out to in / left to right. Ie.
  • Exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt & Intake camshaft VVT unit bolt

• Primary chain tensioner

• Remove the tensioner pivot blade

• Remove the tensioner blade

• Remove the right-hand bank primary timing chain

Now I removed the secondary timing chain
This was easy, since the Exhaust and intake sprockets were already loosed, I just removed them together and slid off the both gears at once, replaced the old chain with a new chain. Bata-Bing, bota boom.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:12 PM
tdc

Note: the Secondary tensioners are connected to the head and they are replaced before the installation of the Exhaust and Intake sprockets.

Ok so this is what the right bank looks like now, cool..

Re-install the two gears with the new chain and tighten the bolts. (Do not) over tighten, you will be going back in later to tighten down to proper specs. (TBD) latter..

Here are all of the parts removed from the right bank

New / Old parts

Note to self:
I marked the original location on the right side of the head and gears before removing the cam locking too, (yes they moved a little).. Make sure your realign before you re-install the cam looking tools to complete the right side.

Last edited by tdc; 11-18-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:13 PM
tdc

Now it’s time to disconnect the camshaft locking tool and re-install it on the left side. Again, aligning the shafts as necessary, (find the flat spots) on the cams and tighten.

I’ll now began the tedious task of again, removing all of the old broken and stretched timing chains rails, tensioners and chains. I again, started out to in or right to left, just the opposite of the right bank removal, blla, blllaa, blaaa..

Time marches on.. Here’s what I’ve got going on now besides a headache… hahahaa..

One bar twists one way, the other bar twists the other way, you verify the shim is still in and tighten the bolt. Tough job for one guy..

After 5hrs of working the timing, I’m finally done.. and YES.. I think I did it right.. LOL.. Only time will tell team..

Here are some of the parts removed from the left bank

With the successful completion of the removal and installation of all required timing gears I’m now turning my attention the front cover.

I replaced the crank seal

Added the new upper and lower rubber seal, plus 3 lines of sealant in 8 areas throughout the front cover, oiled up the inside of the new crank seal and reinstalled the front cover back on the engine.

Note: there is a precise order that the front cover bolts should be tighten down too, you’ll need this doc.

Well team, that all I did today.. I’m hoping to get my second wind later tonight and install the power steering bracket, pump and AC pump.

With any luck I should it have it all wrapped up by tomorrow night..

Wish me luck..

Thanks again for your time team and have a great one

TDC.

Last edited by tdc; 11-18-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:56 AM
tdc

Ok so I got my second wind..

So I installed the water pump

The first generation water pump has plastic fins the (whatever version I have) has metal fins and a freeze plug.

Installed the thermostat

Old 11-19-2010, 02:59 AM
tdc

The power steering bracket

The power steering pump

I wanted to install the AC compressor, but I’m just beat and going bed. I should have it all wrapped it sometime tomorrow.. We’ll that’s the plan at least.

Last edited by tdc; 11-19-2010 at 03:01 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by tdc:
Enthusiast (11-24-2010), Norri (11-24-2010), PCVrach (11-24-2010), WhiteXKR (11-24-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Great job. I admire your willingness to tackle such a major, time-eating project....

Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

tdc:
Great job! I think you got just about all the miles you could out of the old tensioners and rails. Glad you replaced everything before something let go and destroyed your engine.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

tdc, nice job and great photo shoot. I am sure the guys with the same MY with the 4.0 will benefit greatly from your diy instructions. I hope she fires and runs like a new cat for you.
I agree with others,your timing was perfect, one more week and your photos would be showing an engine swap.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

tdc-
Thanks for sharing your adventure in such incredible detail. This is going to make the job much easier for many folks !

Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job so far tdc, photos are really good, nice and clear!

Hope all goes well!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

DIY my ***. LOL. It would take me a month to do all of that!
Great job!

Quick Reply: 2000 4.0 (DIY) replacement –Timing chains, Tensioners, Water pump, etc, etc. FAQ