Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 4.0 S-Type Fuel Pump???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
Hey _genius,

since nobody else recognized you for it, I'll say nice job in stepping up to help someone who wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

By the way, is my dealer the only one who asks the question "We don't have it in stock, Jaguar doesn't have it in stock, do you want me to run it on a dealer locator?" I've been able to buy alot of scarce items in the past that way. I assumed it was standard practice, particularly in a VOR situation.
He has received plenty of kudos from me via PM. I would like to publicly say thank you though and also clear up some confusion. When I say the pump was marked up I don't mean that in a negative way toward the Canadian Dealer. I think the part is $300-$400 more than the cost if it were available here. Some of that is delivery, I don't know but I suspect extra costs since it is out of the country....I'm not sure about the exchange rate.

There could be markup due to the fact that they aren't available anymore! If that is the case then smart of that dealer to buy the last known parts and try and make a bit of profit by being smart. I feel fortunate they were willing to sell me one at all so paying a bit extra to get one of the last couple available is part of the business. I only mention it because our warranty co is only willing to pay $575ish. I don't blame them either...not their fault it's not available.

EDIT: There is an explanation regarding the extra cost and it has nothing to do with extra markup by the Canadian Dealer. Quite frankly, their conduct and ability to help has been extraordinary.

A hearty THANK YOU for all the support I have received on this board...especially from my friend up North. I'll continue to let everyone know how this works out.

Take Care.

Last edited by bleachii; 02-28-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 PM

Campbell took the time to reply. Thank you Campbell.

Brian,
I have asked our PS&L Manager, Michael Ashton to investigate your backorder and respond to your inquiry.
I am aware of a Jaguar fuel pump critical BO situation due to a part resourcing from Visteon to Delphi - an action taken to protect the long term availability of this part.
Not sure if your situation is due to this action but Michael is checking and will follow with you on status, alternatives, etc...

Campbell

Old 03-03-2009, 02:28 PM

New info:

Our dealer had asked jaguar to cover the added cost of the part due to procurement from Canada. Much of the extra cost is due to a core charge where the core must be returned and the charge will be refunded. Border regulations do not allow a part which smells of gas. Jaguar has said they will not pay this cost.

Jaguar did agree to pay the cost of a rental car due to the national backorder. It would be cheaper to cover the added cost of the part rather than the rental car for a long time but it appears they have no mechanism to handle this situation.

So good they cover the car but bad they don't cover the added cost of the part. If I had this information up front I wouldn't have chased the part so aggressively. Originally we only had a rental car for 6 days covered by our warranty co.

So, if anyone runs into this issue I would recommend seeing if Jag will cover the rental car. If so, no worries.

BTW....the rental car co is charging Jag $90/day for a Jeep Commander! Absurd in my book. We are following up with the dealer as they only had options for SUV's. There were no mid size cars. That's crazy and I would be pi$$ed if I had to pay such an absurd price. This was the onsite rental company and approved by the dealer.

Last edited by bleachii; 03-03-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 PM

The executives at Jaguar appear to be genuinely concerned about this problem. They are very responsive to my emails and Michael Ashton included his cell and office phones in his latest email response to me. In fairness to him I am not including that information here but I am impressed all around with the attention received by our dealer and now internal Jaguar folks. I hope this has a happy ending.

Here is what Michael had to say:

I wanted you to know that I was actively dealing with finding some of the supporting information that will answer your questions. I will put together a reply tomorrow after speaking with my colleagues in the UK.
I am glad to hear that a pump was sourced. Was this done by the dealer or yourself?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

Glad to learn that the folks at Jaguar's U.S. corporate office are willing to roll up their sleeves and jump into the fire with you, Brian. Given Jaguar's current economic state along with the rapid decline of the automotive industry all around the world, I believe that those of us who typically keep our cars for a very long time will eventually need to get these folks involved in situations similar to this one. You can bet that I've already placed Campbell's contact information in my personal Jaguar folder....

Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 PM

Looks like this issue is just about resolved. Everything is in place now to my satisfaction. Still have to dot i's and cross t's but promises in writing are in place. I received a very detailed and researched email from Michael Ashton at Jaguar which details the parts problem and the future of Jaguar. I am very impressed with both Mr. Ashton and Mr. Mac Arthur's responsiveness to this issue.

The original email responses I posted from both gentlemen were general in nature showing concern. I posted them to show their willingness to help. Before I post this latest email I would like to get permission from Mr. Ashton. I'm assuming it is public information but I don't want to assume wrong and it does shed more detailed light on the problem. Anyhow, I don't want to do anything until they are aware.

They are shooting for pump availability again in the 3rd or 4th week of March but this is still not 100% finalized.

Thanks for all the help and support, and a public thank you to Bauer Jag and Jaguar Corporate for a willingness to help. Both parties have acted in the way you would hope.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:01 PM

Jaguar corporate continues to deliver excellent customer service. I will post a wrap-up to this thread early next week when the smoke clears.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks JTO and bleachii for your comments.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Blues

I too have a S-type with a dead fuel pump. Died in the garage while not being run ????
Isn't it odd to have a fuel pump (a motor) die without warning, while not being used?

I contacted several places and all say the fuel pump is not available.

I found this photo at Parts Highway that shows a very complicated assembly.
Can the small pumps that are available be inserted into this assembly? I have seen several
small pumps that are supposed to be for S-types, but they don't look like this:

https://partshighway.com/product.php...&partnum=67935

As always, thank you for your info.

Larry

Old 03-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Larry, that is the pump assembly or module whatever youde like to call it. The actual pump is inside that. Also when would you prefer it die when in traffic in the middle of the freeway? Like any electric motor they require the most power to start running that why they useally just stop working when you go to start the car and it wont turn over....Does a light bulb give warning when its not going to turn on the next time you use it

Old 03-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

its not a Jaguar fault, but supplier, what you dont hear on the news is many suppliers are going bankrupt and out of business. Jaguar doesnt make parts, welcome to the world economy. This pump is used in Fords too and Im sure others. I posted earlier that you can remove the Jaguar pump assembly and replace just the electric pump inside the module/pump assembly..

Old 03-24-2009, 06:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I have to chime in here too. Thanks Brutal for the affirmation. I have seen the pump motor available, just not the entire assembly. But that isn't why I'm posting. My very limited experience with Jaguar has been at the dealer level and been great. On the other hand I'm in the middle of a fight with Chrysler over impact sensors on the boss's mini-van. Without writing a book, there is a known defect, the van only has 33k but time ran out on the warranty, yet they won't fix it. Bottom line, if you read the other posts you'll see that someone from Jaguar USA actually addressed the concerns of the owner and acted as a good company should. Much like my experience with Honda and my Jersey families experience with BMW. The cars aren't actually that much better, just the way the owners are treated is far better.
OK.... done ranting....

Old 03-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

Short answer: Get Jaguar's corporate parts & service folks involved in your situation as bleachii did in his. You'll have a far greater chance of finding a suitable part and resolving your issue quickly. Good luck....