S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Jaguar S-Type ABS Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2000 Jaguar S-Type ABS Speed Sensor

Hi Jag lovers! Haven't been here for awhile, but to remind you, I live in Mexico about sixty miles south of the border. I have taken my car to a local mechanic in the past who specializes in European cars and have not been too disappointed.

I took my car to Pep Boys in San Diego for new tires and brakes about six months ago. After I picked up my car late at night, the ABS warning light was on. I called the shop and was told it could be from many reasons and I should bring it in whenever I could. I don't drive it very much and have another vehicle, so I didn't get around to it.

This morning I took my Jaguar to the local guy becasue I thought that it needed a shot of air conditioner fluid. When he pulled the tire off, he saw the speed sensor cable was shot and not connected at one end. He called his local supplier, and I was given a price of about $400.00. I have to take it to him next week anyway to get new window regulators installed. I have talked about them in here before, but after I got home, I did a search and found the cable at about 50% of the cost I was quoted. When I called him he said that BOTH front cables need to be replaced, so the quote was for two. Don't have much choice at this point. I've checked a few suppliers, and about $200.00 per cable seems to be the norm.

I'm trusting him that the quote WAS for two, although nothing was said this morning.

Any comments will be analyzed and appreciated. Thanks!

Still the best looking car in the world - by far!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

The lowest cost replacement I have seen is about $154.79 on www.rockauto.com before the 5% forum discount. Did your mechanic pull abs codes for both front wheels? That is the only sure fire way of knowing if the other front abs cable needs replacing.

Finally, did he connect the other end of the cable that was disconnected all that time just for kicks???

Old 08-17-2012, 09:27 PM

No, he didn't do anything with the other wheel. That's why I'm wondering. When I called him this afternoon, he told me (through an interpreter - my housekeeper ) that both front cables should be changed at the same time. If I go to a dealer in California, it's inconvenient and gasoline/tolls/motel/meals will be extra expenses, so that's why I'd prefer to get it done here. I don't mind a reasonable increase in cost.

I think the coupling at the end of the cable was shot and he couldn't connect it. I'm guessing at this.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM

I would suggest the following: Some parts should be changed in pairs (i.e - front brake pads, certain suspension componets) and make sense to spend the extra $$$ to do both sides...however, if there is no code being pulled for the other speed sensor cable then it should be left alone and not replaced.

If and when the speed sensor goes (odds are it won't) then pay to get it changed.

What's the point of spending another $200 + labor on a part that has no issues. Just my $0.02...

The following users liked this post:
Steerforth (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 10:58 AM

He's going to kick a little. He said on Friday that he would buy it with HIS credit card - and I could reimburse him tomorrow. This was before I had come home and researched the price. I do think he may be scamming me - or is trying to, but he only charged me $35.00 to recharge my air conditioner, and that was with two cans of the refrigerant. I would have paid more.

By the way, he has no machine to hook up and diagnose. The loose cable was apparent after he pulled the left wheel off to access the A/C port.

One question: if I dodge him until he forgets, will it be okay to drive my Jag without the cable until I can get it from Rock Auto?

Thanks for your remarkable assistance!

Old 08-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Steerforth - If you still trust this guy to work on your car I would only have him change the one cable, not both - this should be easy enough to DIY though.

I would be highly suspect to have someone work on my car without the proper diagnostic equipment - this includes your mention of him filling the A/C system with 2 cans of refrigerant - did he check pressures before/after adding 2 cans (24oz) of refrigerant? If you need 2 cans of R134A - you have some big issues - he is only temporarily curing the "symptom" and not the cause and seems to throw parts at a problem.

I would certainly steer clear of this "mechanic" if you want to refer to him as one (and steer clear of Pep Boys and other big box auto centers as well - they're only good for the basics - oil, brakes and tires) and try to find a reputable mechanic that can be more assistance to you or DIY - as far as driving w/o the speed sensor cable until the replacement arrives - you have been driving around all that time w/o it being hooked up - I'm sure a few more days won't matter as the cable will be replaced but realize once replacing you might need a code reader to clear the abs code(s) that are stored but repeated completed driving cycles should also clear the actual code stored and the abs light should finally go out.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by abonano; 08-19-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Steerforth (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 AM

I paid about $10,000.00 for this auto about five years ago. It was garage-kept and in pristine condition.

I truly believe that it has a classic design that will never grow old, but I don't want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on it to keep it perfect. I'm really annoyed with the mechanic, and I'm not certain what I will do.

Right off the bat, he should not be replacing two speed sensors when, apparently, only one is defective. As far as the refrigerant goes, there is a plate with information on top of the engine.

Before the mechanic went to his supplier, he copied information from the plate.
It's cooling much better now, and this seemed to be a gradual decline over the past several years. If I have a considerable leak in the system, then we're talking about something else.

The bottom line is that I would like to keep the car in decent shape without spending a lot of money. I'm on a fixed income.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM

I hear ya steerforth - that's why if you can DIY you will save $$$ on labor and more than likely will get the job done better - sorry, but I have a hard time trusting anyone touching my Jaguar - and when I do I only go to someone I trust - and I double check their work as well.

PS - The 2000 - 2002 S Types are money pits - I should know I own one... Keep an eye on the A/C - if you notice cooling efficiency going south over the next month or so - you have a major leak somewhere... (compressor/condenser, etc)

Old 08-21-2012, 02:35 PM

My housekeeper has more faith in the mechanic than I have voiced. One thing about Mexican workers - they can do wonders with chewing gum and string - and that's a metaphor, of course. He didn't seem to mind changing the order to one cable, and he's doing some other minor work for me. He seems to know his stuff. As far as working on the car myself, I have done that in the past with other cars, but I have found that ever since I entered senior-citizen land, I am not as agile and I suffer injuries quite easily. I don't want to take any chances.

Again, many thanks for your suggestions; they are well-received and appreciated.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM

At least he was straight forward and is willing to change the one cable saving you $$$ - good deal!

Steerforth (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

You have a major A/C problem if two cans were used!!!

Did he hook up gauges and check pressures?? You need to totaly drain the A/C and pull a vacuum to see if the system will hold a charge. Remember everyone wants to add Freon because it's easy to do. Too much refrigerant is a problem just like too little refrigerant.

The pressures tell the tale. Get them checked, get the numbers and post back here.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Adding too much can easily destroy the compressor.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 PM

Told ya!

Old 09-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Sixteen days after he put in the refrigerant, the A/C is working as well as it ever did, and we're having some hot weather down in these parts. He also fixed BOTH windows for under $300.00. Still waiting for the speed sensor, but he's supposed to get it today. Had some minor body work and painting done at the body shop for under $200.00. Westminster Blue - looks as if I have a new car. It's a head turner.

Norri (09-04-2012)