S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Jaguar v8 Tuneup

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Jaguar v8 Tuneup

Hello I recently purchased a 2000 jaguar s type 4.0 back in april and it is in serious need of a tune up. If possible can a someone please let me know all the parts and things that I will need to peform a tune up. I bought the workshop manual off of ebay and me and my dad will try to do the tune up ourselves or find a private mechanic to maybe do it if possible. A estimation of the parts and prices would be great to thanks in advance and I really enjoy reading this forum.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Hi,

First, how many miles on the car?

I would prioritize - in this order:

First - have the tensioners been serviced? If not - you may want to think about this... especially if your car is over 50K miles - the original orange tensioners are prone to breaking and will wreak havoc on your engine at the most inopportune moment - if your tensioner fails - kiss your 4.0 goodbye and forget about finding a suitable replacement motor ($2,500 and up - not including labor to swap out - $1,000 to $1,500) before even thinking about attacking any recommendations below - this is the highest priority. (About $1000+ at a shop - labor intensive) you only go to a shop that specializes in Jaguars or have done this before - you need specific specialized tools.

Once you sort that out....

If over 100K miles - time for the spark plugs to be changed. (Use NGK double platinum plugs) - OEM spec. They are about $10 each.

Instead of changing out all 8 coils - get each coil tested. (Either at Ford) - they have a coil stress tester or buy a COP tester (about $90) - pull each coil - any evidence of oil on the coil boot - you'll need to change all gaskets on that side of the engine (cam cover, VVT seal and spark well seals) - you can find aftermarket - I prefer Jaguar (about $200 - estimated) - aftermarket gaskets - much cheaper but quality/fitment is suspect.

Why test each coil? Cause if you plan on changing out all 8 coils the proper way (with Jaguar/Ford replacement parts - plan on spending $60 - $80 X8 coils.... you do the math. You can find cheaper coils on eBay/Rock Auto ($15 - $30 each) but again, you get what you pay for... I personally use Jaguar/Motorcraft coils - nothing less.

Invest in a K&N air filter - about $45

Change out the cabin filter - about $25

Flush out coolant - again if car is over 100K miles or if your coolant looks crappy or if previous owner put green coolant in. (spec is orange - Dex Cool is OK to use) - flush the system and you may want to invest in a replacement metal finned water pump - abut $100 (OEM - plastic) and an aluminum thermostat housing (OEM - plastic) - this part can be found on eBay - $50 - $60 - if you replace water pump w/ metal gasket - use Hylomar - you'll thank me later...

Of course - quality oil/filter change and if the trans hasn't been serviced - get a fluid/filter change done at an indy trans shop ASAP - stay away from the national brands (like AMMCO)

Get your entire suspension checked out and replace any worn parts and get a quality alignment. If you plan on keeping your cat for a while - pay a bit extra and invest in lifetime allignment - about $140 at national brands (Pep Boys, Firestone)

Finally, least important (but important) flush out the power steering fluid (Dexron III or IV)

I have personally done the above on my 2000 Jaguar - 4.0 and I just crossed the 223K mark on the odometer.

That about covers it - hope this helps...

Last edited by abonano; 06-06-2014 at 09:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
Camnelson324 (06-06-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (06-08-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 PM

Thx for taking the time to outline how to perform a tune up properly. This jaguar is right over 46,000 miles so I think the spark plugs should be ok and I will check out the coolant as it does look kind of dirty and not sure if it is green or yellow. I will start asap saving for the replacement of the tensions as it seems to be extremely important to the over all health of the car. I will make sure to follow your directions on everything else though, thanks again for the great advice!!!

Old 06-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

If you haven't got one, invest in a cheap obd tool that can show live data. They start at about $10. But he aware Chinese elm clones don't always work on the pre 2002 s types.

You might also want to click on the link in my sig, along with workshop manuals the are some how to's and videos you might find helpful along with jepc and workshop manuals

Old 06-07-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Camnelson324
Thx for taking the time to outline how to perform a tune up properly. This jaguar is right over 46,000 miles so I think the spark plugs should be ok and I will check out the coolant as it does look kind of dirty and not sure if it is green or yellow. I will start asap saving for the replacement of the tensions as it seems to be extremely important to the over all health of the car. I will make sure to follow your directions on everything else though, thanks again for the great advice!!!
OK

At 46K miles - agreed - leave spark plugs alone. More thank likely coils should have plenty of life left in them - but, pull each one off - like I said any oil residue (whether wet or caked on) replace associated cam gaskets.

Go with a quality engine flush additive - flush and change oil & filter.

Get the trans serviced.

Get the coolant flushed out if it's dirty or green (non OEM spec)

You have little time left on those tensioners - make that a priority - if you have to pull the cam cover off you will get to see the secondary tensioner - if it's plastic orange (that's the original one) if it's white - your good to go...

Iff you do the above - you should be in good shape.... 46K miles is extremely low for a 2000 - I'm going to take it it was maintained pretty well. The above will only ensure more years of reliable service. Good Luck.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

abonano knocks it out of the park yet again!

The following users liked this post:
abonano (06-08-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

You want your tensioners to be metal not white plastic.

They actually start out as white and then heat and time turn them orange/brown.

Here is the metal one.

Here what the white plastic turns into inside the engine.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Jaguar v8 Tuneup-timing-chain-tensioners.jpg   2000 Jaguar v8 Tuneup-tensioner.png  
abonano (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 03:48 PM

To add to tbird6 - there have been 4 generations of tensioners - you want the metal versions, preferably 4th generation...

Old 06-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Very good point! It took Jaguar a while but they did fix it and the updated tensioners do last.

I would listen to abonano. He is one of the very few that have replaced them himself. That is no small job for anyone and a home mechanic is an ace if he can do it!

The tensioners was one of the main reasons I looked at the 2003 and up S Types. Oh that and the 390HP STR!

abonano (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by police666
If you haven't got one, invest in a cheap obd tool that can show live data. They start at about $10. But he aware Chinese elm clones don't always work on the pre 2002 s types.

You might also want to click on the link in my sig, along with workshop manuals the are some how to's and videos you might find helpful along with jepc and workshop manuals
Thx, I definitely will check it out and pick up a American made one if possible.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
OK

At 46K miles - agreed - leave spark plugs alone. More thank likely coils should have plenty of life left in them - but, pull each one off - like I said any oil residue (whether wet or caked on) replace associated cam gaskets.

Go with a quality engine flush additive - flush and change oil & filter.

Get the trans serviced.

Get the coolant flushed out if it's dirty or green (non OEM spec)

You have little time left on those tensioners - make that a priority - if you have to pull the cam cover off you will get to see the secondary tensioner - if it's plastic orange (that's the original one) if it's white - your good to go...

Iff you do the above - you should be in good shape.... 46K miles is extremely low for a 2000 - I'm going to take it it was maintained pretty well. The above will only ensure more years of reliable service. Good Luck.
For sure I will follow all the directions you gave. This cat will be around for the next decade with all the good advice your are sharing!!!

Old 06-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
You want your tensioners to be metal not white plastic.

They actually start out as white and then heat and time turn them orange/brown.

Here is the metal one.

Here what the white plastic turns into inside the engine.

I appreciate the pictures you posted I just ordered the workshop Manuel so with all the great advice you all are sharing with me I should be able to perform the tune up myself. The tensioners do look like they need to be replaced so I will start saving for that immediately and again thx to you experts and fellow enthusiasts!!!!