S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 S-type 3.0 misfiring/hard start

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S-type 3.0 misfiring/hard start

First post here , thanks for those of you who take the time to reply .

Just purchased a 2000 s-type 3.0 auto

it currently is misfiring when it decides to start and i got two DTC faults : VVT over retarded bank one , and the other was throttle motor reading unavailable .

Cleared the codes via OBD2 , Reset with negative lead+pos touch . And the car just decided not to start now at all . it also went in and out of limp mode , currently NOT lit .

i pulled the 3 plugs and valve cover but , ran out of daylight . the plugs were covered in oil/fuel along with the coils .

Then i see this in i believe cyl#6

water damage ?

Old 02-12-2016, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Timmy Gibson
First post here , thanks for those of you who take the time to reply .

Just purchased a 2000 s-type 3.0 auto

it currently is misfiring when it decides to start and i got two DTC faults : VVT over retarded bank one , and the other was throttle motor reading unavailable .

Cleared the codes via OBD2 , Reset with negative lead+pos touch . And the car just decided not to start now at all . it also went in and out of limp mode , currently NOT lit .

i pulled the 3 plugs and valve cover but , ran out of daylight . the plugs were covered in oil/fuel along with the coils .

Then i see this in i believe cyl#6

water damage ?

Old 02-12-2016, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,030 Likes on 1,434 Posts

Hello, and welcome to the list. It may seem your car has a lot of problems, but don't despair. I suggest concentrating on one crisis at a time.

I think that damage at the spark plug well is from rainwater getting under the hood and pooling up. Find and block/divert the water's path. Then use a back-tap thread repair tool to clean up the threads. A back-tap is a special collapsible tool that fits loosely in the hole, to get past the damaged threads, and then expands to engage the undamaged threads below the spark plug. Back it out and it cleans up the threads as it goes. Put some grease on the tap to catch any debris.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014FGVVW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014FGVVW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

From there, you'll want all new spark plugs. The coils may still be okay. That's your call. I had oil collect in the plug well on the 1-3-5 side (US passenger side, UK driver's side) on my '02 V6. That's the difficult side, requiring removal of the big swoopy intake plenum. After fixing the oil leak, i cleaned the suspect coils with electric contact cleaner. Not wanting to have to go back in if the coils were indeed damaged, I swapped them with the known good coils on the other (easily accessible) side. A year later, all coils are still working just fine.

I have some more suggestions, but I don't want to overwhelm you. Also, I don't like to do too many things at one time. That way, if a new fault is inadvertently created, it's easier to narrow down the cause. So for now, fix the oil leak and make sure rainwater can't get back in. Take care of the damaged spark plug threads, install new plugs, and clean/replace the coils. After that, we can move on to the next crisis.

On the slim chance the spark plug threads are damaged beyond use, don't despair. It's relatively easy to install a Heli-Coil thread repair as a permanent fix. The cylinder head doesn't have to be removed.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy Gibson
If the coils had any oil residue on the rubber boots plan on replacing them with new as oil/water wears the coils electronics down over time.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,843 Posts

The V-6 has a well documented list of problems. Have you done any searches to find the repairs?

The good thing is all of them are pretty cheap if you do it your self.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the replies . Ive ordered all new plugs , coils , and gaskets needed . But , unfortunately the snow and cold has kept me from attempting to see if that is the problem . I have looked into common problems and recalls for 00' v6 s-type but , this issue was a first i have seen . Along with new plugs , coils and gaskets im going to flush the coolant and do an oil change so i know for sure when it was done and is done .

Hoping for a decent day to get outside and fix the car . I will post my results after . Thanks