S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 S-Type 3.0 Rear Window Regulator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

its like your typing to just type.....................we have a guy at work that just talks to talk....you know?

Old 10-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

OK, I can't help myself......

Let's look at this, piece by piece....

"When the problem is resolved, Threads should be closed!"

Ummm... You opened it, sir. The open threads allow other users to post into a thread at any time to add realitive comments (HINT) or bring up a related issue.

"4000 Hits dude, It's all about Hot threads and not BS!"

All I can say here is 4000lbs of dogie doo is still 4000lbs of dogie doo, no matter how you dress it.

"1) Who can afford $500 for a bad window requlator ?"

The same people who don't want to put junk parts into a car that has value. Might work for an old rust bucket, but I personally wouldn't do it. BTW a window regulator is not $500 (HINT: actually read before you post)

"I have seen 3-pages of BS about reprograming a JAG KEY FOB,and it was answered on the 1st page."

OK, why read it? I will concede that sometimes these threads go on a bit too much. Sometimes it takes a while to get some people up to speed. Sometimes other topics come out of the discussions. Sometimes there is just a bunch of disruptive BS thrown in between valid posts (HINT).

"2) Bad Technicans has caused alot of lost customers.American Automotive companys design these cars for min maint.Technicans still try to blame the customer for bad service."

Well, I'm going to stay away from the grammar here.... But lets see. Since you speak in generalizations, in general the techs and service at the Jaguar dealerships are mostly responsible for Jaguar's recent elevation in customer satisfaction surveys. Yes, the product has improved, but not that much. Also, the last time I checked the only American design in a Jaguar are the few shared components and platforms. Even that is minimal with most shared components being heavily modified by Jaguar. Oh, BTW, Jaguar is still located in England. My experience with service when I had to bring the car back for the same problem has been "we are terribly sorry for that, how can we make it right?" I know it doesn't go that way for some people. Again, those are not the majority.

"Caution - Driving with your windows down, can also put wear & tear on head liners."

"If you noticed newer cars are designed with smaller windows for safety and prevent the window regulator problem."

Huh???? Newer designs with lower greenhouses are done for aesthetics (I know..big word..here ya go.. dictionary.com) and not for safety. In fact the new lower greenhouse design on some models hampers visibility. I hate to brake it to you, but it also has nothing to do with window regulators. Now, the cuts in the side glass on some cars is designed with window retraction in mind. The rear quarter glass on the S-Type for example.

OK, done now.... Put off that damn project plan enough...

Mods.... Sorry, but I just had to do it!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Applause! Applause!! Applause!!! ENCORE!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Im not reading through 3 pages again...if no one covered replacement...its easy. pull the door panel(Im speaking rear window regs here) in the bottom center of the door is an opening usually covered with a silver dollar sized black decal. remove it. You need to move the window so the plastic window holder can be seen in the opening. There a 2 small round plastic pins that go through the window and regulator holder. using a small flat punch the side of the center pin, knock it out with a hammer(carefully) then push out the larger pin it was in also. now pull the window up all the way in the window frame so you can have room to unbolt the window reg, and unclip the connector from the motor, take the reg assembly out the big opening. I belive most regs are sold without the motor now to reduce cost, so unbolt it with T30 torx. Install is reverse, but before you put the reg back in. first install the white plastic pins in the window bottom. the large then the small, the small is tapered on the end and that goes in first. I use a pair of pliers to squeeze the pins together. They should be centered in the window, not pull the window all the way back up. install the reg, to set the window in the regulator holder. Simply slide down guiding it so the pin in directly centered in the white regulator holder. push down to snap in place firmly. It does take a little force to snap in place, now test and reinstall panel. There was a TSB on these way back when cause HEAT is what was damaging and causing failure. the tsb only applied to Stype in the southern states. No with time the will break like alot of plastic and Jaguar isnt the only manufacturer. I have two friends that are nurses with BMW's I have put window regs in both their Beemers. And I have another new one sitting next to me in the garage for Janet's 2nd window reg to be replaced and she's coming over Sunday for me to install that 1.
I can do Stype in 7 minutes( I raced another tech a few yrs ago, I won!) the TSB I think paid 1.10 the front are just as easy too, but sometimes you have to grab the window and basicaly jerk it up to brake away the pinch clamp from the rails. Sometimes you cant get the front and rear holder lined up with the holes to unbolt he 10mm bolts that pinch the front window front and rear to the regulator. Yes theyre the same for Lincoln LS. and cheaper. you can also get them online. through Rock Auto, autoanything.etc...I just paid $118 for the front BMW 1
And Daniel you might think its from slamming the doors, but I had many customers that never opened their rear windows and much less the doors. Just 1 day the window dropped in the panel. And headliner from open windows? I dont know alot of Jaguar owners that drive with their window down ever. yes their headliner drop. Its heat and humidity that attacks the adhesive. And it happens to virtually every car here in TExas

Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

vw's are prone to failure also. Especially the plastic pieces. Thats why you can now buy the metal ones.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Be aware that the early S type (2000-2002) can use the Lincoln LS FRONT door window regulator but the back doors are different!! The fronts are all over EBay for a decent price.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Gus,
I wanted to thank you for your pics and description on changing this out. I followed it step by step (including buying the lincoln Ls window regulator), and it went smoothly. I went for option 1, and modified the hole with a drill.

I found the LS reg for $72 new with no shipping. The cheapest Jag one was $225. The LS also seemed much more sturdy. I think I saved close to $400 if you count labor at a Jag dealer.

I want the other 3 to break, just so I can do it again! ha! And my wife thinks I'm a stud!

Thanks for your help!
Rob

Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

A stud - er, what were you drilling with?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes - Fixed my window's thanks to the advice in this thread also.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 AM
Default A used part site that might help

I have a friend with a 2000 jaguar s type that has a broken rear passenger window and wanted to know how to replace it. Thank you for the advice. Www.Uneedapart.com will help you find parts, it's a free nationwide database of junkyards. Been using then for years.

Old 08-27-2023, 01:23 PM
Default Hints on inserting replacement window?

Originally Posted by Brutal
Im not reading through 3 pages again...if no one covered replacement...its easy. pull the door panel(Im speaking rear window regs here) in the bottom center of the door is an opening usually covered with a silver dollar sized black decal. remove it. You need to move the window so the plastic window holder can be seen in the opening. There a 2 small round plastic pins that go through the window and regulator holder. using a small flat punch the side of the center pin, knock it out with a hammer(carefully) then push out the larger pin it was in also. now pull the window up all the way in the window frame so you can have room to unbolt the window reg, and unclip the connector from the motor, take the reg assembly out the big opening. I belive most regs are sold without the motor now to reduce cost, so unbolt it with T30 torx. Install is reverse, but before you put the reg back in. first install the white plastic pins in the window bottom. the large then the small, the small is tapered on the end and that goes in first. I use a pair of pliers to squeeze the pins together. They should be centered in the window, not pull the window all the way back up. install the reg, to set the window in the regulator holder. Simply slide down guiding it so the pin in directly centered in the white regulator holder. push down to snap in place firmly. It does take a little force to snap in place, now test and reinstall panel. There was a TSB on these way back when cause HEAT is what was damaging and causing failure. the tsb only applied to Stype in the southern states. No with time the will break like alot of plastic and Jaguar isnt the only manufacturer. I have two friends that are nurses with BMW's I have put window regs in both their Beemers. And I have another new one sitting next to me in the garage for Janet's 2nd window reg to be replaced and she's coming over Sunday for me to install that 1.
I can do Stype in 7 minutes( I raced another tech a few yrs ago, I won!) the TSB I think paid 1.10 the front are just as easy too, but sometimes you have to grab the window and basicaly jerk it up to brake away the pinch clamp from the rails. Sometimes you cant get the front and rear holder lined up with the holes to unbolt he 10mm bolts that pinch the front window front and rear to the regulator. Yes theyre the same for Lincoln LS. and cheaper. you can also get them online. through Rock Auto, autoanything.etc...I just paid $118 for the front BMW 1
And Daniel you might think its from slamming the doors, but I had many customers that never opened their rear windows and much less the doors. Just 1 day the window dropped in the panel. And headliner from open windows? I dont know alot of Jaguar owners that drive with their window down ever. yes their headliner drop. It’s heat and humidity that attacks the adhesive. And it happens to virtually every car here in TExas
I’m having no luck inserting the side rear replacement window. Any tips?