Sponsored by:

2000 s type 4.0 coil and valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 s type 4.0 coil and valve cover gasket

Hey guys

i posted a couple weeks ago about spark plug change

took a while but it worked out fine and i was able to change all 8...problem now is that its still misfiring and flashy code p0303 i think it was...coil 3 is misfiring

a lot of people are suggesting ebay coils and i just ordered them...also i've been reading up the past little while and the burning oil smell is due to the valve cover gasket leaking i believe...please correct me if im wrong....

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Just a bit of advice. You mentioned some oil around the plug. With the age of your car I would plan to change the cam cover gaskets and spark plug well gaskets. Most likely you have oil in other plugs as well. So your fix may only last awhile until that cylinder or another starts to misfire.

With a DOHC engine it's good practice to change the gaskets and all plugs/coils at once. As a number of people have found out going back in to change them one by one is a pain! I view this as just normal maintenance for a DOHC type of engine. It is more of a problem for the early cars as Jaguar improved this in the 2003 face lift cars.

As the gaskets age and start to seep/leak you might also start getting an oil smell inside the car. That's because the passenger side gasket will seep oil and drip it on the exhaust manifold. The fresh air intake for the interior is at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. These fumes are then sucked inside the car.
haha well it was REALLY soon after that this is happening so im parking the car until this is all fixed.

does anyone know the part # for these parts?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 AM

help anyone? pleaaaase?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

scars;

That was my post from my name I use at home. What I would do is go to a Lincoln LS board and search for the part numbers. They have been released in the aftermarket so no need to use Jaguar or even Ford parts.

Make sure you change all 8 coils and boots. The coils should come with boots but always check. The gasket kit should include 2 cam cover gaskets and 8 plug well seals. I ALWAYS use a bit of silicone sealer on the 8 plug well gaskets. Just because. It's not required but added insurance.

Finally- If you don't have it yet please get the JTIS from EBay. It's only $10 and you will get a lot of use out of it. Also consider getting the EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog). This is free and on this site. This is the exact same software your dealer parts guy uses to look up parts. This really helps when needing parts. Most of the time I can come in with the correct part number. If not sure you can print exploded parts diagrams too. This saves the parts guy a lot of time and they will be grateful!!

The following users liked this post:
scars (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM

thats great help thanks a bunch i'll look into it

the JTIS...i found a link here and i downloaded it but apparently it only works on winxp and won't run properly on my win7 so its a pain in the ***...

i wasnt sure if the LS had the same engine as mine so i didnt look into that but i'll source out the part numbers and get it done by next weekend hopefully...

Old 05-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I run mine in Win7. You need to download Virtual Windows XP from Microsoft. It was a free download but does not come with Win7. After installing that you can install and run the program.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just changed spark well gaskets for the 2nd time, found a piece of debris had fallen and lodged right on the cilynder 6 spark seat gasket, on the 01 getting that valve cover back in is almost as tricky as getting it out. however I am still getting a cylinder 6 misfire code. there was oil on the plug threads I know this debris caused a slight leak, the coil pack is new. when I put my ear and nose by bank 2 where cylinder 6 is located, It pops just a little like an exhaust leak and I smell exhaust on that side. now my question is how do I identify whether my problem is exhaust manifold gasket or head gasket?Or does anything sound familiar enough to say o no I know what you might want to chek and its neither of those?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 8,079 Likes on 4,873 Posts

The early S-Types were bad about the exhaust manifolds cracking at the welds where the individual pipes meet the flange to the cylinder head.

They usually are loud at startup and get quite as the metal expands with heat.

I never saved any because I changed them in warranty and had to turn them in to the parts dept. I was going to TIG weld one to see if it would work but never did.

bob gaudd

Old 11-14-2011, 02:05 AM

I have a similar issue and the mechanic friend I have to help thinks my leak is exhaust manifold gasket but were gonna put it on a lift next week to see from underneath exactly where the leak is, If it is an exhaust manifold gasket on an 01 4.0 s type how bad is that, what is the easiest route in, will we need to unbolt the engine and move or worse pull it? If i have a bad manifold the same questions,and last but not least if I have to change the manifolds is there a decent set of headers that fit in that tight enginge compartment without having to modify the body near the strut towers? any help is appreciated thanx.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

If you want to start up that long thread AGAIN. Do a search for headers. There is a nice stainless steel version that is listed for the Lincoln LS/Ford Thunderbird. A guy purchased them to install on the S Type (which they SHOULD fit-But we really don't know because no-one has done it!) but he ended up selling them again to a guy with an LS who finally did install them. They were resold several times before they got installed.

We do know now that the EGR set up is a bit different but looks like only a small modification to adapt the EGR over to the headers.

Well bad news it looks like Stainless Works has dropped the Lincoln LS headers. I can't find them on their website any longer.

Stainless Works Performance Exhaust Products

Old 11-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Maybe they only made ONE set.........

Old 11-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

You may be right!! I have followed them on the LS boards and I posted them on the S Type boards. Trying to see if we will ever get any kind of aftermarket going for either of these cars, the LS or the S Type.

Does not look like it will happen.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:27 AM

windy day when i changed my spark tube seats. found a small piece of dirt grain of sand size wedged on the #6 gromet. seems to be better, I have a cracked exhaust manifold on the drivers side and my new 02 sensors read errors so after changing the manifold i will let you know if i get the last codes clear.