S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 s type left brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 s type left brake lights

My left side break lights stopped working on this side only. I replaced the fuse and bulbs but it didn't help. I did not a clicking from the fuse box in the trunk , could that be the problem ? The right side works fine and the left blinker and tail lights work just the break lights don't. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

Have you checked all the fuses? There are more than one fuse. Rear fuse box, #3 10a, #6 10a. Make sure these are both good. Make sure you have the correct bulb as well. Check the circuit board, they have been known to give issues, specially the ground.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 PM

Thank you for your response. I have checked all the fuses in the back fuse box and even replaced those 2. I also replaced a 5A up front but nothing. It was strange that both brake bulbs went out at the same time. I recently had a new circuit board put in so I don't think that's the problem. I did notice a clicking noise that came from somewhere on the back fuse box when I would have someone press on the brake. I rechecked to make sure the fuse didn't blow again but it didn't. I'm not real mechanical inclined but could it possibly be one of the larger yellow fuse like things in the fuse box ? thanks again

Old 08-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

It could be a bad ground to that side, you can try splicing a ground wire into the connector at the circuit board for the LH tail lamp, and see if it works. There is no relay in the rear fuse box for the tail lamps, its inside the Rear Electronic Control Module ( REM ), which is located on RH side of trunk/boot, behind trim.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Have you checked all the fuses? There are more than one fuse. Rear fuse box, #3 10a, #6 10a. Make sure these are both good. Make sure you have the correct bulb as well. Check the circuit board, they have been known to give issues, specially the ground.
Well I just got the new relays I ordered today and tried them, it still doesn't work. All my other lights work on that side except for the brake lights. I've replaced fuses,bulbs amd now the relays. Any other suggestions ? I recently had a new curcit board put in when I had problems with that blinker. Now it works but the brake lights have now stopped.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:18 AM

Is there a way to tell if the REM is bad ? I just ordered the large fuses and found out that was not the problem. I hate having to keep ordering parts just to see if that's the problem. I sure wish I was a mechanic. Also what is the best site for getting a repair manual for the s type 2000 v8 ? thanks

Old 08-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,542 Likes on 3,951 Posts

Workshop manual is free download from this site - see top of forum.