S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 s-type tcm

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 s-type tcm

I am attempting to remove this from my parts car.

I was told that it was behind the kick plate, drivers side, though I only have found a front control module (FCM).

I then referred to the JTIS manual, electrical section, where there are no diagrams of where the TCM is found. There is a reference to refer to the power train section, though no diagram.

Is anyone able to aid?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

The 2003- on S-Types have the ZF trans. with an internal TCM. Perhaps your FORD 5 speed has the same?

Last edited by bfsgross; 05-16-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Default Fcm = tcm

Seems the part the part the mechanic was referring to was the FCM. It is in fact behind the kick panel and I have been staring at it for numerous days.

This is what he was referring to as the TCM - perhaps others might run into this confusion as well.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 8,179 Likes on 4,934 Posts

The PTEC is on the passenger (right) side of North American X200s.
There is no separate TCM, only the combined Powertrain Electronic Control module.
The Pollen/cabin filter housing must be removed to gain access to the PCM connectors.
The module itself in in the footwell of the passenger compartment.

bob gauff

Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

So... which are you trying to remove and - importantly - why?

FCM may well be the FECM aka GECM aka GEM.

The PCM (aka ECM etc) is as Bob said. You can't just connect it into another car without grief, though....

Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 AM

The transmission blew on the S-type about 6 months ago.

3 transmissions have been installed. The 1st mechanic was still blaming the tranny, which I found hard to believe. The car gets up to 70 kmh, attempts to move into next gear, and feels like a blender.

I have since brought it to a new recommended mechanic. They believe their is no issue with the transmission. They fixed some known firing issues with cylinders 2 & 8 which. They "reset" the computer, where apparently the troubles got worse....

The mechanic wanted to change the FCM - he ordered one, but I then reminded him that I had a parts car in the driveway.

#1 & #2 tranny were rebuilt, with "lifetime" warranty. 3rd transmission I pulled out of a parts car. Each had the same problem... @ 70-80 kmh, when moving into the next gear, it is like a blender..

Car has had no issues up untIl this. 175kms on the odometer and I have had her since 60kms on the clock.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Which engine? Starting to sound like 4.0?

There is no part called FCM on an S-Type. There really really isn't. So until what is meant by FCM is discovered this is a tough problem.

On a 2001 auto, whatever engine, the one module (PCM aka ECM, of a type known as PTEC as Bob said) controls both engine and trans. PCM relies on the sensors to know what's happening and the actuators to do as they're told. If it can tell there's a problem it flags codes.

The 5R55N is a simple-minded autobox with some electrical items (solenoids) and not much more (*). The rest is in the PCM.

Anyone in the car business should know that often a "trans problem" is actually an engine problem (which would - potentially - include the PCM and of course wiring etc). They also should know how to go about figuring out what the actual fault is. Sadly, quite a few people can either cope with mechanical or electrical or electronic stuff, or maybe 2 of those 3, but not all of them.

For an idea of this stuff see www.onboarddiagnostics.com/page02.htm

(it's cheap to stare at it and puzzle/agonise for a while)

You can maybe get closer to the fault but which engine size?

(*) cogs etc of course but they can't all be wrong in the same way in 3 boxes!

Last edited by JagV8; 05-19-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

I think you have a shop that is in over their head? That is a big problem because they should be seeing these everyday?? Is this a transmission shop or just a "mechanic" shop?

As was posted the transmission you have is a dead common Ford 5 speed. It is used in MILLIONS of Fords. With that kind of production the aftermarket is huge. All the problems have long since been found and improved. In fact this transmission can now be built to handle over 1000HP!!

Take a look and this is but one shop building these transmissions and supplying better upgraded parts:
5R55S Mustang Transmission Performance Parts 5R55S 5R55W 5R55N Transmission Parts

I would get the car to a real transmission shop. First call and make sure they work on the Ford 5r55. They are several minor variations as indicated by the last letter (N, S, W).

In fact I would call the above place and tell them what you have been thru. Maybe they could give some guidance?

Don't forget the very good advice given by JagV8. We have seen dozens of people spend tons of money on what they and their clueless mechanics think are transmission problems when they really have a misfire problem caused by the COP's!!

Remember if the engine is acting funny the computer will try to control the transmission to compensate. This can cause all kinds of strange behavior.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:48 AM

Gents - thank you for the great summary.

Yes - 4.0.

Yes, sorry. FEM. Front Electric Module, it was he requested, I pulled from drivers, left kick panel.

xw4t-13b525-bf

Shop #1 is a tranny expert from ford lincoln dwalership. The S-type with him for about a 100 days and he was still swapping out tranny's. I have used him for 5 years, unsure the reason for his lack of efforts. He is building a home though, so maybe distracted. Either way, I grew impatient as he mentioned he had not had time to take a test drive... I was handed back the jag 3 times fixed, where a short drive would reveal major flaws.

Shop #2 is in over their heads, in my opinion. Better than shop #1 though - they are attempting to fix and trouble shoot the issue.

There were issues with cylinder 2&8 which have been resolved by shop#2. Shop#1 had started working on this.

I had mentioned the PTEC vs FEM (TCM According to him) to the mechanic..... He stated the PTEC was not needed.

I will follow your links and thank you greatly. Car has been in the "shops" since late October, and $ are adding up.

Shop #1 transmission install. $450
Shop #1 rebuilt tranny (returned)
Parts car. $900
Shop#2 transmission work $400
Shop#2 break job. $900

The rotors seized at shop#2. Unsure why he proceeded to do a full break job on a car that is non-operational..... But hopefully she is on the road shortly and I can make use of the new breaks etc.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

So... FCM (FEM / FECM / GECM / GEM). I don't see why. It does not control the trans (or the engine).

BTW the electrical guide (in JTIS or Search for it) shows how these are wired so you can see for yourself.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
So... FCM (FEM / FECM / GECM / GEM). I don't see why. It does not control the trans (or the engine).

BTW the electrical guide (in JTIS or Search for it) shows how these are wired so you can see for yourself.

Yes - have the JTIS which is excellent. Only frustration was lookin for a non-existent TCM.

So... Removing the FECM makes no sense in your opinion, it would seem more logical that the mechanic might be focusing on the PTEC.

I hope the mechanics logic is it the FEM focus might have to do with the problems he was having with misfiring.

I will do some more reading regarding the PTEC - thank you for providing the links.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Misfires are commonly faulty coils (or air leak etc). Coils are fired by the PCM.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 PM

Jag v8

Coils were replaced... Sadly, from what your stating, the PCM is most likely what they should be looking at.

Going to wait until tomorrow, then have to figure something out as I don't think the issue will bE resolved.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member

It's hardly ever the PCM. Coils, air leaks, yes. Chafed wiring, sometimes.

You can't just swap in a used PCM. Anti-theft kicks in.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Plum,

It's always worth reading around subjects before accepting "garagespeak".

I also have an electronic problem somewhere which is preventing the MIL Lamp, mileometer and any diagnostic readouts.(codes can't be read).

Rainwater has been leaking into upper engine bay soaking the PCM area and adjacent connectors over some time.

I think a PCM malfuntion is playing havoc with the transmission behaviour on my cars, and possibly yours.

Please have a flick through this PDF - diagrams and locations of the many ECU's on the S-Type, also pin locations if you want to test.

You should mention the PCM (POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE)

I cannot believe you've changed 3 boxes - that is unacceptable.

Regards,

Old 05-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 05-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

It's part of JTIS, which he has said he has.

You can get a bad PCM fixed. Have a google for who does it.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:47 PM

Ended up being plugs- thank you for the suggestion (correct suggestions). I ended up taking my time with the car, troubleshooting, and it came down to $65 in plugs.

What a nightmare.

Car is running like a top - dong 60 MPH on the highway is yielding 30MPG on my daily 120 mile commutes. Lesson learned, get a code reader, learn from here, take my time and attempt to do the majority myself.

Bad news thought - it failed the emissions. I think this is most likely due to driving while it was missfiring. unburned fuel flowing through the Cats... joy.

Anywaty - Thanks for your help guys, was invaluable.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

If you have a 2001 3.0 have you checked the hose elbow that so often fails?

Another thing to do is get engine warm then look at (long term) fuel trims at idle & about 2500rpm. Should be within about 5 of zero, each bank. If they're not, post them here by all means.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Be aware that you may not have all your readiness monitors in the yes or "Ready" state. After the faults are fixed it takes a number of drive cycles to fully clear and reset the readiness monitors. If you search you will find people who spent weeks getting the car to pass emissions when nothing was wrong with the car at that time.

So again we need the codes to determine if this is the problem. So what EXACTLY does the emissions failure say? And again get it to a parts store and do your own trouble shooting and have them clear everything after they read the codes.

After you clear the codes you also reset all 5 or 6 ready monitors. This is what requires driving around until everything gets reset. The factory has a special set of driving conditions which is suppose to put the monitors in the ready state but this has proven to not be 100% correct in that it will sometimes take many multiple try's to get them all reset properly.