Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 S Type V8 4.0 Timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S Type V8 4.0 Timing

hi all,
i bought a 2001 S-Type from a friend that got frustrated with the mechanics in his area not being able to set the timing after it jumped timing.
they did not have the proper tools in the beginning therefore i'm assuming they did not lock the cams prior to trying to time it.
i now have all the tools to do the job but i have questions:
is there a way to set the timing if the cams have been moved previously as i suspect?
on my other vehicles there were timing marks however i'm hearing there are none on the Jaguar.
if anyone knows any tricks to set the timing it will be greatly appreciated or am i better of investing in a used engine, locking the cams and changing the problematic plastic tensioners.
thanks!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 6,355 Likes on 5,533 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

No tricks the whole procedure is detailed in JTIS which is a free download from the forum.
Are you sure there was no damage when the timing jumped?

Don't forget to post your intro in the new members section.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Welcome to the forum,

No tricks the whole procedure is detailed in JTIS which is a free download from the forum.
Are you sure there was no damage when the timing jumped?

Don't forget to post your intro in the new members section.
thanks!
i guess i will know when i pull the head.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:22 PM

i'm not having any luck downloading the file. i'll keep looking though.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Have you changed all the primary, secondary tensioners and all the timing chains?
If not you are wasting your time.

Understand that jumping time is the least of your problems. You probably have bent valves or worse.

Let us know what you find. Get the shop manual which is called the JTIS. We have it free on this forum. Look at the top of the forum for JTIS.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Have you changed all the primary, secondary tensioners and all the timing chains?
If not you are wasting your time.

Understand that jumping time is the least of your problems. You probably have bent valves or worse.

Let us know what you find. Get the shop manual which is called the JTIS. We have it free on this forum. Look at the top of the forum for JTIS.
the fist engine locked up on him, he put an engine with 50k on it in the car than months later a belt break and wrap around one of the pully and that's how it jumped timing. at that point the valves got bent, however he had the old engine that locked up but the head was good. they swapped the head but cannot get it timed. i'm guessing a 50k engine chains will still be good however i will change the tensioners even if they are good.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Received 8,285 Likes on 5,000 Posts

If you lock the crank with the tool in the torque converter drive plate, you can turn any cam to anywhere you want. The pistons will be DOWN enough in any cylinder so as to NOT contact a valve!!!!!

Then rotate the cams to the 'timed' position and lock the sprocket fasteners down tight.

If the cams are already disconnected from the chains, you can loosen the cam caps to lift the cams enough to close the valves. THEN rotate the crank!! (many ways to 'skin-the-cat')

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
Strokeman (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 10:27 AM

I have done the timing, now I have slow crank and no start. i have Fuel, Spark and Compression. the engine is just not rolling fast enough to start imo.
Is there anything in the engine bay that would create this symptom?

Old 02-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Received 2,677 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Battery age and voltage available?

Old 02-22-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Battery age and voltage available?
Napa Battery, about 2 years old, i will check the voltage. i used different batteries trying to get it to start. it just isn't rolling fast enough.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:20 AM

Did the engine turn freely when reassembled before installing spark plugs?

Old 02-22-2015, 12:56 PM

Did the engine turn freely when reassembled before installing spark plugs?
the mechanic said it did but i dont have much faith in the mechanics here. i may have to take it to the Jaguar Dealer which i'll have to put the car on a ferry to get it to them or simply buy a use engine as i was planning to do when i bought the car.
at this point i think the use engine is the best way to go however i will want to change the tensioners before installing the replacement engine.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Strokeman
the mechanic said it did but i dont have much faith in the mechanics here. i may have to take it to the Jaguar Dealer which i'll have to put the car on a ferry to get it to them or simply buy a use engine as i was planning to do when i bought the car. at this point i think the use engine is the best way to go however i will want to change the tensioners before installing the replacement engine.
strokeman - your looking at $1,500 and up for a used engine and about $1,000 to replace chains/tensioners, etc

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 06:41 PM
Received 8,285 Likes on 5,000 Posts

I bought a Jag (1999 XJ8) with a broken secondary timing chain and replaced all the chains, tensioners, guides, etc.
I finished up and made sure the battery was fully charged. I cranked it and IT WAS SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!

It turned out that the starter was 'burned-up' trying to start the broken engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I installed a good-used starter that I had on hand and the engine fired right up!!!!

Just make sure you are not misdiagnosing faults and headed in the wrong direction.

Check the current draw of the starter. I had a draw over 500 amps with the faulty starter.

Probably the engine but...............

bob gauff

Old 06-21-2015, 10:17 AM

update:
after opening the engine there were so much damage that it was best to replace the engine which i did.
i changed the alternator however it was an aftermarket alternator which works but causes the battery light to intermediately come on. i will be replacing with OEM soon.

The car ran pretty good for few hrs; had a P0340 Camshaft position senor A circuit (bank 1 or Single Sensor) code but it started and ran good.

took it out yesterday and experienced power loss; its intermediate, it runs rough with little to no power for a few than it will run fine for a few and repeat this.

now i'm getting 2 CODES:
P0340 Camshaft position senor A circuit (bank 1 or Single Sensor)

P0357 Ignition Coil G Primary/Secondary circuit

anyone experienced this or knows how to fix it?

thanks!

Old 06-21-2015, 11:38 AM

Did you install a used engine, or one that has been overhauled?

Were the camshaft VVT units set correctly when the primary timing chains were installed?

Check all wiring connections and the wiring loom itself for broken wires.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:47 PM

Did you install a used engine, or one that has been overhauled?

Were the camshaft VVT units set correctly when the primary timing chains were installed?

Check all wiring connections and the wiring loom itself for broken wires.
it was a used engine.
i do not believe this engine had a timing job done on it.
i looked at the sensor and on my Santa Fe it was easy to change the cam sensors, there was a bold right on the sensor. i don't see it on these ones, do i have to lift the cover to change the cam sensors in the S-Type v8 4.0?

i will go to the yard and look on the old engine for the sensors tomorrow.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:03 PM

update:

i ordered a new Engine Camshaft Position Sensor.
Position: Right
Terminal Gender: Female

Took off the right valve cover to replace the sensor and it had a male gender Terminal Sensor.
I found out it’s a:
Engine Camshaft Position Sensor Right Standard fits 98-03 Jaguar XJ8 4.0L-V8
i don't know what’s going on, however there was a break in the wire which i figured must have caused the code in the first place. I repaired the broken wire and put the old Sensor back in (because the new one had Female Terminal). that did not solve my problem.
I don’t recall my replacement engine coming with harness and I asked the mechanic if he made any modifications to my harness, obviously he said he did not. i don't know what’s going on, its driving me crazy.

this is my only option, the mechanics here are useless and the previous owner had too many different guys working on the old engine which is why i bought a replacement after buying the car.

this is what came out of the replacement engine.<br/>as you can see, Male gender Terminal

these are the 2 from the previous engine that the mechanic gave me along with the 1 i ordered.<br/>both Female gender Terminal

Old 07-25-2015, 06:51 PM

took it for a drive and it lacks power, if i turn it off and started it again it runs fine and have full power for a few than it goes back to the lack of power symptom.
these are the codes i got:

ot from the car

can anyone help with this?

Old 07-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Wiring fault, maybe. There are several possibilities in the codes PDF / JTIS. I suppose work through them patiently and carefully.

Quick Reply: 2001 S Type V8 4.0 Timing