S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 stype kicking uphill AND won't start..connected?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 stype kicking uphill AND won't start..connected?

Hello,

I have an issue regarding my 2001 s-type 4.0. Just recently, it has begun to jump or kick back when I go uphill, and my rpms seem to go all over the place. This only seems to happen when I am going uphill at 35-45 MPH.

About a week or so later, The car has started to on occasion take a few tries (usually 1 to 3) sometimes up to 5 or 6) to turn over. It will click, even attempt to turn over, but doesn't completely. It stopped doing this for about a month or so, and then resumed recently.

Any ideas of the cause of these two things? Could it be related to the gas line?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Received 10,499 Likes on 6,934 Posts

You are NEW, so welcome.

My best guess at the moment is a clogged fuel filter for the "kicking" going uphill. However, IF, the engine revs fine if the transmission is "kicked down", then NO.

These cars are "juice hungry", and a bad, dying, oldish battery will do strange and weird things.

Our 3ltr started doing similar, and I thought it was the transmission getting confused and rapidly changing up and down. By selecting a lower gear in the LH side of the J Gate stopped it, and the engine revved just fine. We used "sport" mode for a while, all good, but it started again 3 weeks ago.

Replaced the battery, found the old one was 6 years old, and although tested FINE, simply was not cutting it. It has gone to 9.7V sitting on the shed floor, and it was 12.6V when removed. The car is SWEET now.

This could also answer the cranking issues.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-07-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great, I'm glad it could be something relatively easy to fix.

It seems to almost stall on the RPM meter, before it shifts into the next gear while going uphill. During that stall period is when it kicks back before shifting.

Could the clogged fuel filter also be responsible for a loud grumbling/crackling noise when the car is in idle? (constantly)

Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Received 10,499 Likes on 6,934 Posts

Originally Posted by winst
That's great, I'm glad it could be something relatively easy to fix.

It seems to almost stall on the RPM meter, before it shifts into the next gear while going uphill. During that stall period is when it kicks back before shifting.

Could the clogged fuel filter also be responsible for a loud grumbling/crackling noise when the car is in idle? (constantly)
reading that again, I think you may have a transmission issue. the 5 speed Ford trans is pretty sharp with the shifts, BUT, if it has never had a fluid change, there is you problem. I would strongly recommend a fluid drop and refill. This may need to be done a few times over a 3 month period, to gradually increase the concentration of new fluid to the unit. If it is dropping soooooo low before shifting down, that is classic trans fluid contamination. The "kicking" is probably teh engine trying to stall out, due to being in too higher a gear.

The fuel filter will give NO noise, EVER.

The grumbling/crackling noise could be anything, but I am still heading for a transmission that is sadly neglected. They will make some weird noises when dying, so it may already be too late.

You will not know until you drain that old fluid, and if it is BLACK and GRUBBY, you got problems.

The refresh I mentioned above , "MAY" save it, but as I already said, it may not.

Ours was slightly grubby, and at 119000kms and 10 years old, it has responded extremely well to this drain and refill, which is at 8 now over 12 months.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 8,131 Likes on 4,906 Posts

The early S-Types also had alot of ignition coil problems that can cause a misfire ('bucking' on load demand situations).

The one-way check valves in the fuel tank pumps (the electric and/or 'jet-pump') sometimes fail and vapor bubbles form in the lines (vapor-lock) causing hard start.

Sounds like you have multiple issues.

A DTC scan might help if the check engine light is ON.

bob gauff