Sponsored by:

2001 V6 Auto... Air Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 AM
MGB
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 V6 Auto... Air Leak

Hello,

In the last few weeks I have started to get a rough idle (500-700rpm approx), it's not too bad but then the Engine Management Light came on last week. Two days later (maybe 60m driven) it went off again by itself and has not returned.

I managed to get a diagnostic done at a main dealer, they tell me there is a leak and that the Upper/Lower Intake seals need replacment. Also that the fuel has too much oxygen in it (presumably a result of the leak?). This is all from the computers error codes alone. I rang another Jaguar dealer back in the UK and they tell me it's impossible for the dealer here to know it's those seals causing the problem and that it needs investigating first. However, they suspect the Elbow Breather Hose as it's a common problem.

I've looked at many posts here in the last week but I am really worried about this problem costing thousands if the dealer here just starts replacing parts and guessing what to bill me for next. I was also unimpressed that only the UK dearer bothered to mention changing the plugs whilst there if replacing the seals.

Since it's looking likely the Inlet Manifold will come off, I would like to know a couple of things in advance if someone can help:

1 - If the Inlet Manifold is removed what work should I do whilst we have it off? So far I have noted the IMT O-Rings & Spark Plugs should be done. Is it worth also doing the coils, I figure these are expensive for a complete bank? Have I missed something else?
2 - The dealers quote included 12 gasket seals... from everything I am reading online, the 2001 model only has 4 seals, have they got the wrong car in error (UK car in Germany) or could this be correct, I ask because they used the VIN/Chassis number to look up the parts so it's an odd inconsistency.
3 - If anyone has any advice of anything that is worth checking outside of removing the inlet manifold that would be worth knowing.

The car is high millage at 120k and looking at the state of the Air Filter I replaced today (dirtiest I've ever seen) I get the impression servicing hasn't been too high on the agenda of the previous owner . I bought it cheap knowing it would need some work, and I plan to keep the car at least a few years so happy to get all the big servicing costs out of the way off the bat.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Is the dealer doing the repair? Or are you going to try? Search the threads here. Several on what to replace when having to do this type of job. Be prepared to have to replace some of the hoses running along the top. If they have not to date, they will probably break on you when removing.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MGB
Hello,

Since it's looking likely the Inlet Manifold will come off, I would like to know a couple of things in advance if someone can help:

3 - If anyone has any advice of anything that is worth checking outside of removing the inlet manifold that would be worth knowing.
There will be 12 gaskets for the intake manifold, 6 pieces for upper and 6 pieces for lower positions. They work like o-rings so one piece per port. 4 gaskets I'm betting were for the valve cover gasket set, there are 2 pieces per bank.

Given you will disassemble the intake manifold I would recommend:
1. IMT o-rings
2. spark plugs - iridium NGK
3. intake manifold gaskets - 12 pieces
4. valve cover gaskets - 4 pieces
5. PCV elbow - rubber 90deg molded piece

Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

This is where it gets a little questionable as far as the EURO MY's versus the NA MY's.

The lower intake gaskets were switched from the ones pictured below in the 2003 NA MY, which would take 6 lower intake gaskets.

Being the OP is in Frankfurt I would hate to guess.

Heres a good read:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...visited-47173/

Old 03-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

2001 should be the original kind I expect but of course the OP could grab JEPC from here and look up the parts I hope. Redesign 3.0 would be 2002.5MY same as for me, I believe. If that was when those gaskets changed...

Old 03-28-2013, 05:00 AM
MGB
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it was in a Garage yesterday, but not Jaguar.

Jaguar had quoted almost 2000€ to do the inlet gaskets (which they said were the cause of the leak) and to change a faulty ABS sensor/re gas the air con whilst at it.

The local garage found the cause of the leak after 10 minutes of looking at the car, simple hose just behind the manifold, simple cheap repair in the end .

Now I'll have a bill of around 800€ when I pick her up, but the plugs are being changed (old ones are shot) along with the gaskets and replacement of the brake fluid (in addition to the AirCon and ABS sensor for which the part itself is almost 250€).

I think looking at all the really detailed information here I could have given the job a go... the problem is I am not technically allowed to work on a car here in the street, and I live in the city so it's possibly a problem if the police see me or a wonderful neighbor decides to call them (it's a German thing)!

Thanks for all the replies... I was getting seriously worried about costs getting out of control, but it appears as expected the Jaguar dealer here isn't any good . Thankfully the independent seems to know what they are doing from talking with them yesterday... picking it up today, hopefully all is well now. Since the ABS sensor and AirCon needed doing it was just easier to get them to do the other work since the costs here are not so ridiculous.