S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 S Type adaptive rear struts

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 S Type adaptive rear struts

I am slowly bringing my shiny black 2002 S Type Sport back to acceptable shape and have made some progress. I have changed all the plugs and coils and the 4.0 V8 runs like a dream. New tires and lavishing lots of elbow grease has brought the paint to pretty good shape. However I made one mistake and could use some advice.

I was told by a local mechanic that the rear struts needed to be replaced. I bought non adaptive struts since adaptive struts are $400 plus each (gulp!) and installed them successfully. The only problem is that now my beautiful black beauty rides like a dump truck! In my ignorance I had no idea the adaptive struts were so crucial. I have two questions: 1) If I install new/used adaptive rear struts and re-attach the electric leads can I expect the struts to work? 2) Does anyone know of a source for 2002 S Type adaptive rear struts that might be less than $400 plus each? I discarded the old adaptive struts (another dumb move) before I realized what I had done to the smooth ride of my car. Thanks for the help!

Ignorant in Illinois

Old 02-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by sadepol01
I am slowly bringing my shiny black 2002 S Type Sport back to acceptable shape and have made some progress. I have changed all the plugs and coils and the 4.0 V8 runs like a dream. New tires and lavishing lots of elbow grease has brought the paint to pretty good shape. However I made one mistake and could use some advice.

I was told by a local mechanic that the rear struts needed to be replaced. I bought non adaptive struts since adaptive struts are $400 plus each (gulp!) and installed them successfully. The only problem is that now my beautiful black beauty rides like a dump truck! In my ignorance I had no idea the adaptive struts were so crucial. I have two questions: 1) If I install new/used adaptive rear struts and re-attach the electric leads can I expect the struts to work? 2) Does anyone know of a source for 2002 S Type adaptive rear struts that might be less than $400 plus each? I discarded the old adaptive struts (another dumb move) before I realized what I had done to the smooth ride of my car. Thanks for the help!

Ignorant in Illinois
To answer, yes - if you find adaptive struts and plug them in all should work (once you clear the codes in the CATS computer using dealer level diagnostic software) you will have codes fur each back strut not being connected. I'm sure you have a CATS Fault message in the information center on your cluster.

Most of the time the struts are good but the bushings on the strut are worn/shot. In the past the strut was considered garbage but now there are bushings available that can be pressed in.

I think I have a set of rear adaptive struts for your car. Send me a PM and ill try to help you out.

You want the adaptive struts back in place.

The following users liked this post:
sadepol01 (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Abonano, thanks for your help. You said to send you a PM, but I guess I don't know what that means. I am interested in the struts you spoke of but don't know how to reach you. Thanks again!

Steve

Old 02-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by sadepol01
Abonano, thanks for your help. You said to send you a PM, but I guess I don't know what that means. I am interested in the struts you spoke of but don't know how to reach you. Thanks again!

Steve
Steve, your new so I think you need 10 posts in order to send a private message (PM) via the forum to me. Maybe an admin can give you full access.

You can email me: a.bonano@hotmail.com

Thanks - Anthony