S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 s type p1383 and p1388 help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 s type p1383 and p1388 help!

Hey guys I'm a Ford tech here and while I'm waiting on my new raptor to be delivered, I'm borrowing grandparents 02 s type 3.0L. I have been slowly fixing it up, struts, suspension, throttle body, valve cover leaks, plugs, transmission solenoid body ect. It has 145k miles and been serviced regularly. It's been sitting for awhile but has had 400-500 miles on it with plenty of gas ran through it and oil change with 5w30. I have been having a random issue that hopefully someone can advise on. I will have my Matco scanner updated and ready for use tomorrow but here is the current issue. Upon driving cold in the morning, it will shift normal, little harsh/delayed but not bad for a 20 year old vehicle. After driving for 20 mins In normal mode(not sport) the gear box light will come on and the only dtcs are p1383, p1388. The trans will not shift out of first gear normally, acts like it's stuck in neutral. Sometimes I have to pull over, shut vehicle off, and then restart and it's good for a mile or two then repeats. If I drive in sport mode it's fine for 30-45 mins nearing an hour it'll do the same thing but not as stupid acting. It always only throws those dtcs. I just can't correlate what timing has to do with trans shifting as it runs great when cold and under 30 mins of driving! No noise, no slipping no nothing it's great. When I did the valve cover gaskets I pulled the vvt solenoids and checked them, there clean and free of debris. I just would like some help as to what could be causing this issue more so when hot and sport mode seems to prolong it more. We do not have a jag dealer close that can work on these older vehicles😞. I'm a Ford tech for 8 years with lots of experience in timing chains ect, but I'd hate to dive that far without knowing common issues. I have not had any updates done to the car as there is no dealer close(nearest is Chicago 3 hours away) plus could the update really fix a 145k mile car that's always just made short trips by my grandparents. I hope someone here can offer some help. I appreciate it!

Scott.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:54 AM
Received 8,285 Likes on 5,000 Posts

I posted this on a similar forum thread and all everyone wants to do is change the oil viscosity or clean the oil passages in the VVT system.
Jaguar had the answer and issued this when I worked at the dealer 'back-in-the-day'.

I did reconfigure a few PCMs with WDS when these cars were in factory warranty.

Attached Files
Old 07-07-2021, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I posted this on a similar forum thread and all everyone wants to do is change the oil viscosity or clean the oil passages in the VVT system.
Jaguar had the answer and issued this when I worked at the dealer 'back-in-the-day'.

I did reconfigure a few PCMs with WDS when these cars were in factory warranty.
Thank you for the reply. Bad thing is idk anyone close that could do the software update, and what's the chances that will fix it as with mileage ect could it really be a late software requirement 146k miles later lol. I wished our ford IDS could do it 🥺. But like I said I just am baffled as to how it runs perfect for 30 minutes time then all the sudden it starts acting like this which leads me to believe it's not really timing issues and more of software I guess or oil issue, or something electronic getting hot?

Old 07-07-2021, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,478 Posts

You mean like this? There's a brilliant summation of the whole viscosity theory in post #31 here. What an amazing fellow he is. I bet he even smells nice, too:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...2/#post1549402

Is this a guaranteed fix? Can't say, but it sure worked for me. YMMV.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooldrmr2009
I have been slowly fixing it up, struts, suspension, throttle body, valve cover leaks, plugs, transmission solenoid body etc...
The $64,000 Question:

Were you having the same transmission issues before replacing the solenoid pack? Did you cure one problem but inadvertently introduce another? (Okay, that is two questions...)

I suspect you've got two separate issues in play here. The VVT codes are likely one thing and the shifting problem is another. An OBD scanner will retrieve any emissions-related faults, such as the VVT codes. It may not retrieve certain transmission fault codes, as those are not emissions-related. I liken this to standing in the wrong line at the DMV. If you need a trip permit but stand in the line for license renewals, the slug lady behind the counter won't help you even though she can access all the information. The right scanner will go a long way towards diagnosing the transmission problem. As a Ford tech, at least you know the 5R55N is a version of a very common Ford transmission, and not some exotic unit. The trick is getting the car to communicate non-emissions faults to you.

Last edited by kr98664; 07-07-2021 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dauraf (07-09-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by kr98664
The $64,000 Question:

Were you having the same transmission issues before replacing the solenoid pack? Did you cure one problem but inadvertently introduce another? (Okay, that is two questions...)

I suspect you've got two separate issues in play here. The VVT codes are likely one thing and the shifting problem is another. An OBD scanner will retrieve any emissions-related faults, such as the VVT codes. It may not retrieve certain transmission fault codes, as those are not emissions-related. I liken this to standing in the wrong line at the DMV. If you need a trip permit but stand in the line for license renewals, the slug lady behind the counter won't help you even though she can access all the information. The right scanner will go a long way towards diagnosing the transmission problem. As a Ford tech, at least you know the 5R55N is a version of a very common Ford transmission, and not some exotic unit. The trick is getting the car to communicate non-emissions faults to you.
This vehicle has always shifted weird since I took borrowing possession a few weeks ago, originally it had throttle body dtcs, pressure solenoid B dtcs and vvt dtcs. I since replaced throttle body and solenoid pack. Since then the throttle body dtcs and solenoid dtcs have not returned. There is no more delay in reverse or drive and hesitant shifts. That has been cured. But still remains are the vvt faults, and sometimes the gearbox error with random neutral acting between shifts. I will get my Matco scanner on it and try to watch pods and see if other dtcs are there besides 1383 and 1388. I have since fixed the ac, ran some oil cleaner through it with fresh oil change, and fixed the valve cover/spark plug seal oil leaks. No leaks of any kind. I have checked the vvt solenoids while having valve covers apart and no metal or debris (engine looks very clean with no sludge, just the usual brownish tarnish color but no sludge or buildup. I hope this helps. The trans has always done the neutral delayed shifting even before I got the vehicle, my grandparents noticed it for a few years but only drove it on short trips so they never experienced it much. I'm just trying to help them out fixing some stuff before I give it back.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tooldrmr2009
I wished our ford IDS could do it 🥺.
Your Ford IDS CAN do it!!!
Find a cheap laptop with Windows XP Pro (32 bit) or Win 7 (32 bit) and install the Jaguar IDS software.

Connect the VCM to the car and the laptop, let the software configure the VCM (to Jaguar) and follow to IDS 'on-screen' prompts.
We used to borrow the Land Rover VCM when the Jaguar Shop unit failed. Swapped it to JAGUAR and then back to Rover when we were done.

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
kr98664 (07-07-2021), NBCat (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 04:24 PM

Your Ford IDS CAN do it!!!
Find a cheap laptop with Windows XP Pro (32 bit) or Win 7 (32 bit) and install the Jaguar IDS software.

Connect the VCM to the car and the laptop, let the software configure the VCM (to Jaguar) and follow to IDS 'on-screen' prompts.
We used to borrow the Land Rover VCM when the Jaguar Shop unit failed. Swapped it to JAGUAR and then back to Rover when we were done.
Where do you download the Jaguar IDS software? I'll try my Matco one tonight and then try that this weekend. Thanks for the assistance I'll see if I can pull other dtcs and reply back if you don't mind.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:29 PM

Many of us here on the forum have the IDS Jaguar software.
I saved EVERYTHING I EVER DOWNLOADED when I worked at the Jaguar dealer years ago.
I have several Hard Drives full of Jaguar info.
Send a Private Message and I can link you to a MY DRIVE site for downloading IDS 118.5 (SDD started with DVD119)
IDS 118.5 should be good 1995 to 2009 Jaguars. (WDS good for 1995 to 2006)

I am still looking for a FORD IDS software DVD or download. I have some Ford and Aston Martin WDS versions from 2003 onward but no IDS.

The following users liked this post:
dauraf (07-09-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll throw my 2-cents in for the VVT discussion. I no longer have a S-type, but last year I bought one for my nephew. It was a 2002, a non-runner for 5 years, and basically dead. After getting it running I also had the same VVT codes. After reading some threads and comments here, it was strongly suggested to run a flush through the engine, and change the oil. The screen on the VVT solenoid gets clogged with carbon and sludge (especially if the car hasn't been well maintained). For me the flush and fresh oil worked, however, you could pull the VVT solenoid and try cleaning it with your favorite degreaser. If that doesn't work, it's possible the solenoid is bad and will need replacement.

Good luck!
Steve

The following 2 users liked this post by smfitch:
kr98664 (07-08-2021), Tooldrmr2009 (07-08-2021)