Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 S Type sagging headliner removal HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

No it will look like crap!
You can pin the sagging material back up but that looks lame too.
The cost is pretty low if you DIY the repair and it's really the only way to do it right.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you so much for this detailed post. I hope I can help someone with as useful a post in the future. This job starts for me tomorrow. Headliner is sagging. And the sunroof needs rebuilt. Planning on doing both.

John

Old 09-23-2018, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

John

Take your text and do not force the headliner out the rear door. Have some duct tape available to temporarily keep electric lines taped up.

Learn from my mistake. Make sure the sunroof shade DOES NOT have any fabric in the moon roof track.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:05 PM
Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All

I’m out of the Jag game and have been for awhile. I do still enjoy getting the updates that this thread has helped people out. I hope it continues to do so. Best of luck.

Brett

Old 01-29-2020, 12:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I must have the oldest headliner as it just now started to sag in the rear window!
Thanks for the detailed instructions

Old 04-09-2020, 12:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bloody brilliant mate. One of the best (if not the best) tutorials in the forum. Only trouble I had was the fastener in the middle of the back edge but that is a technique thing nothing you can teach. Saved me heaps and only cost AUD$220 for the new lining. Hope you are all ok in the UK; you seem to be having it much worse than here downunder. Wishing you all a safe easter; remember keep to yourselves and stay in doors, it's working here.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just asking why/what was the $220 including?
Did you remove the headliner and have it covered, or was that the cost of the total repair Downunder?

.............wash your hands!

Old 04-10-2020, 04:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed the lining as guided by the tutorial and then re-fitted the repaired lining.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:48 AM
Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porcupine
Bloody brilliant mate. One of the best (if not the best) tutorials in the forum. Only trouble I had was the fastener in the middle of the back edge but that is a technique thing nothing you can teach. Saved me heaps and only cost AUD$220 for the new lining. Hope you are all ok in the UK; you seem to be having it much worse than here downunder. Wishing you all a safe easter; remember keep to yourselves and stay in doors, it's working here.
Thanks for the compliment. I’m glad this thread is still helping people out. I’m in the US actually. Texas to be more specific. We are doing our part to stay safe. Hope everyone else is as well.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a great thread. I plan on completing it soon. As we are in lockdown here in Concord, CA. At the same time I'll rebuild the sunroof tracks. Be sure to do this while at it. The tracks fall apart from the heat and crack. Then the sunroof does not go up and down and get stuck somewhere in between. I have purchased the new track kit and plan on transferring the motor to the assembly. My understanding is that this is all done on a bench. We still have only 55k miles on her. a 2001 S type still in great shape. I have done the timing chain replacement 2 years ago. And yes all the plastic pieces were cracking up.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:38 PM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts
Default cleaning the headliner board....answer

Originally Posted by cabtop
I started with this:

Using some cheap panel tools from Northern Tool, started removing various pieces.

The A pillar covers

Then the visor clips using a 7/64" hex wrench. I'll need to buy the metric versions I guess.

Then the visor itself, which had to be left hanging by the electrical wires. Used same hex wrench.

Then the overhead console. Note it should be popped out closed to the windshield then working your way back. The back does not pop out. The unit slides towards the windshield. See clip in second picture.

Then the grab handles using same hex wrench.

Then the rear interior lights and then turned and pushed them back up through the headliner.

Then I pulled the C pillar cover down but didn't remove, like the A pillar.

The B pillar cover was pulled down but didn't get removed, but had to use a 17mm socket to remove the seat belt retaining nut. Sorry no pictures.

Removed the front passenger seat. Moved seat all the way forward and removed covers at the back and used a 15mm socket to remove the bolt on each side.

Then moved the seat all the way back and removed the front retaining bolts. The front two are hidden under the carpet, but it was cut to allow easy access.

At this point I disconnected the battery negative cable and had lunch. I'd read to disconnect the battery for at least 2 minutes before removing the cables going to the bottom of the seat. Had to remove the nut holding the end of the seat belt to the seat. The cables were disconnected and the seat pulled out through the door.

Then carefully working all the away around, I gently pulled the headliner "board" out of the weather seal.

Finally the visor electrical connections were exposed and then disconnected.

Then I dropped the headliner down into the space where the front passenger seat was and angled the back towards the rear passenger door.

Then I lifted the corner on the floor in the front passenger section and pushed it us some. Then in the rear door area, bowed the board enough to clear what would be the back driver side passenger corner. Then it was a simple matter of sliding it on out.

Then I put the seat back and zip tied the loose wiring up and out of the way. Also reinstalled the visors.

Now to figure out how to clean the board, replace the headliner material and reinstall.

Brett
Great info. so let me chime in. The headliner board is cleaned by setting cruddy side up like a bowl and then 'going after it' with a wire brush until you get the old foam off, completely. If it's (the old foam) is resistant then you can/should heat up the resistant ares with either a torch or a heat gun and wire brush until clean. This may take more than on 'go' at any particular area but....what the heck. The headliner material is put in with Weldwood solvent based contact cement sold at an Upholstery supply store. This material is applied with a spray gun. If you don't have a spray gun or access to one then yes, you can use canned spray 'contact cement' also available at an Upholstery supply. If you decide to use Spray can contact cement BE SURE TO USE HIGH HEAT OR HEAT RESISTANT GLUE ONLY!!! or you're going to have a very unhappy day when the weather is HOT.

That's about it. Thanks again for the removal instructions. Tomorrow it's head liner and sun roof repair here in my shop/crib. M.L.

The following users liked this post:
solidaxel (04-14-2020)
Old 12-31-2022, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Different exit of the ceiling

Same problem as everyone with the ceiling of my 2002 S-type. However, I took out the ceiling in another way. We took it out through the trunk after flipping the backrests and removing the side-cushions. It needs a bit bending, but is very doable. Don't know if it's easier than through the door, but removing the passenger chair seems not so easy to me.
Now the removal of the foam and refitting the fabric. Anyone reused/reglued the old lining?

kr98664 (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,039 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Jozik
Anyone reused/reglued the old lining?
Yes. Don’t do it!

Wasn't a Jag, but most headliners are similar. The foam backer sheds a very thin layer and the fabric falls down. If unaware, you’d think only the glue has failed. Looks like the existing fabric could be rebonded to the existing foam.

It will look great for maybe a week or so. Then the foam continues to disintegrate and sheds yet another thin layer, taking the fabric with it.

The only fix is to strip off all the foam and start fresh. New headliner fabric comes with its own foam. The headliner I repaired was relatively flat and easy to recover. The Jag headliner is much more complex, probably best left to an automotive upholstery shop with the experience and special tools.

The following 2 users liked this post by kr98664:
S-Type Owner (01-01-2023), Staatsof (11-02-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 566 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
Yes. Don’t do it!

Wasn't a Jag, but most headliners are similar. The foam backer sheds a very thin layer and the fabric falls down. If unaware, you’d think only the glue has failed. Looks like the existing fabric could be rebonded to the existing foam.

It will look great for maybe a week or so. Then the foam continues to disintegrate and sheds yet another thin layer, taking the fabric with it.

The only fix is to strip off all the foam and start fresh. New headliner fabric comes with its own foam. The headliner I repaired was relatively flat and easy to recover. The Jag headliner is much more complex, probably best left to an automotive upholstery shop with the experience and special tools.
my thinking too. I lost my sunroof cloth and of course the liner has to come down for access. Looked at everything and bowed out in shame. Took to a recommended shop and he said no problem. All the in and out included for 350. That includes full liner and sunroof material and visor replacement

kr98664 (12-31-2022)
Old 01-01-2023, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Yes I have done at least 6 or 7 head liners in everything from classic cars to a monster Grand Cherokee Jeep. As posted above the key is to remove ALL of the old foam and head liner material. It's rotten and won't hold up. Try not to gouge the backer board when cleaning the old stuff off as the headliner material is so thin everything will show thru to the finished side.

Really like your trunk idea too! Good thinking on that.

Yes I was also was going to suggest getting a quote from a shop. Where I live it's hot so head liner replacement is very common and very competitive in price. Nothing wrong with deciding to let a pro do it either!

If you do it yourself spend the money and buy professional quality glue. Yes it will be $25 a can or more but heat is the enemy here and make sure it's listed as heat resistant glue. Only spray the glue any other way will leave lumps that will show thru. It's not a hard job but details matter and if you don't do this everyday there are a lot of tricks of the trade so to speak!

But man what a difference a new headliner makes especially if you waited and yours has all fallen down and droopy.

kr98664 (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 11:24 AM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
Yes. Don’t do it!

mine is 1 year old glued and still ok

must be a thing of luck and also maybe if the bond was done on a wider surface, the foam might actually be strong enough to support the weight of the fabric.

i did short puffs of glue through a seringe needle, i waited a minute and only then i pushed the fabric.

the glue might also be an important factor.
i used k2 fabric spray, some soray made in poland apoarently.

If it was just luck, let it be then

Old 01-01-2023, 11:44 AM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts
Default headliner restoration....aka...replacement

A note: I too have had and dealt with the headliner issue. A few comments if you don't mind.
Re: removal from the passenger side after taking out the seat. Really not that involved or difficult, actually quite simple and strait forward, well for me anyway. Not worth bonking up the headliner 'pan/tray' pick a word.
Re: using existing material. In my professional (as a paid 'Craftsman') I personally think that's a poor decision. Why? well it's the foam backing that has deteriorated and failed not the exterior fabric. The headliner fabric is very, very inexpensive especially when compared to a factory look vs a potential DIY look. And you can, I, never rely on 'used' (potentially compromised) materials. The work is the same so use the very best 'Materials' you can. It's well worth the extra bucks and you'll never have to 'hold your breath' wondering if it's going to LAST OR NOT.

Once you get the old foam scrubbed off the headliner pan, wire brush and a torch when needed, and prepped use a/the professional High Heat Resistant spray glue used just for headliners. I just looked in my supply cabinet and see I've 'tossed' my last supply I still have a 1 gallon can that I would put in a spray gun but found the spray cans to be A. very much easier to deal with, clean up after, and B. you just don't need a 1 gallon can as several spray cans will do.

WELDWOOD is the name of the product and they make a spray can specifically for HEADLINER INSTILATION.
Hope this helps you produce the job you're looking for. It has for me.

M.L.

The following 2 users liked this post by m.w.l.:
kr98664 (01-01-2023), S-Type Owner (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 02:05 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

This is an awesome write up.

I want to do this, but haven’t worked up the courage. Thankfully I only have one small corner coming loose….which I know will slowly continue (I drive with the moonroof open all the time). I live in a small apartment, which means very limited workspace.

I have read not to cheat and re-glue it on your own; apparently doing that leaves residue on the surface which has to be sanded off if you ever plan to take the headliner out and do it the right way.

I’m tempted to just pay someone. If anyone is in the LA area and has spare time, I’d happily make it worth your while.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:34 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

sorry for the reply, but this is important: i forgot to mention that i washed the fabric of a sunshield in the washing machine at 20 celsius (cold so it doesnt shrink) came out beautifully clean and without the orange glue/foam. try it out on the roof fabric as its the same material... that if you might want to use the same fabric (color and crop reasons)

Last edited by elDariusVargas; 01-01-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2023, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elDariusVargas
sorry for the reply, but this is important: i forgot so mmention that i washed the fabric of a sunshield in the washing machine 20 celisus (cold so it doesnt shrink) came out beautifully clean and without the organge glue/foam. try it ouf if you might want to use the same fabric (color and crop reasons)
Thank you, that's really helpful. Was thinking if it would work, but apparantly it does!

Quick Reply: 2002 S Type sagging headliner removal HOW TO