Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003, 3.0, 90k "maintenance"

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
The "professional" version is not a free update, it adds more functions and bells and whistles. There are free updates available though, I had downloaded one but I did not see any difference.
Before you guys go dropping coin on the "professional" version you should give scanmaster elm a try...

You know how to reach me for details

Take care,

George

Old 03-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, so I just checked with my scanner and it still said that it's not ready for emissions testing. I clicked on the bottom right on the ? for help and something popped up saying:

"This vehicle is not ready for emissions testing

Reason
  • EGR System: Incomplete
  • Oxygen Sensor: Incomplete
  • Secondary Air System: Incomplete
  • Number of incomplete tests exceeds the maximum number allowed"
Does that mean there still unresolved issues with my car to deal with?

And Rick, I think I am gonna buy this upgrade for the scanner. How long is this sale for?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 PM

Rick, it's actually back up to $39.95. I already did the free update, should I just get the professional anyways? I feel like I'd benefit from it.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jcboulos
ok, so I just checked with my scanner and it still said that it's not ready for emissions testing. I clicked on the bottom right on the ? for help and something popped up saying:

"This vehicle is not ready for emissions testing

Reason
  • EGR System: Incomplete
  • Oxygen Sensor: Incomplete
  • Secondary Air System: Incomplete
  • Number of incomplete tests exceeds the maximum number allowed"
Does that mean there still unresolved issues with my car to deal with?

And Rick, I think I am gonna buy this upgrade for the scanner. How long is this sale for?
No it just means the car hasn't been driven enough to satisfy the state that everything is fine since the last clearing of the codes. If there was an issue, it would throw a code again.

Google OBDII drive cycle. It will explain everything. You can actually set it in about 15 mins with some careful driving.

Take care,

George

Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
No it just means the car hasn't been driven enough to satisfy the state that everything is fine since the last clearing of the codes.
Almost certainly true.
If there was an issue, it would throw a code again.
Sorry, that is NOT by any means certain. It is quite common that a fault prevents monitor(s) running and also you get NO codes. This is why trigger-happy clearing of codes is not wise (as well as it's going to be impossible with new cars).
Google OBDII drive cycle. It will explain everything. You can actually set it in about 15 mins with some careful driving.

Take care,

George
You'll find that different cars have different drive cycles. You're best using the one for the car you actually own

Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Almost certainly true.

Sorry, that is NOT by any means certain. It is quite common that a fault prevents monitor(s) running and also you get NO codes. This is why trigger-happy clearing of codes is not wise (as well as it's going to be impossible with new cars).

You'll find that different cars have different drive cycles. You're best using the one for the car you actually own
Ever heard of Pending codes?? Any decent scanner will show them.

Here's the Criteria for the ford / jaguar 3.0 motor:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Take care,

George

Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Ever heard of Pending codes?? Any decent scanner will show them.

Here's the Criteria for the ford / jaguar 3.0 motor:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Take care,

George
Of course I've heard of pending codes but you can easily get NO codes as I said, pending ones included.

I think you'll find that drive cycle ASSUMES you have a Ford PCM with Ford software etc. The S-Type doesn't.
It's not the mechanical parts you're exercising so much as the PCM's vision of the sensors and actuators.

Generally, just varied driving will in practice be enough and so almost any drive cycle will do (subject to any specific stuff like height above sea level, cold soaks, fuel level etc). But if you have a vehicle that's being a pain you want to follow THAT specific vehicle's drive cycle not a generic Ford one.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Good news...I took it to Vance's place on friday and it said it was ready for emissions testing!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Excellent!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I had that feeling Joel. Enjoy a trouble free vehicle!

Old 03-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Should be good now. How did she look out in the sun after we got it all cleaned up??

Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
Should be good now. How did she look out in the sun after we got it all cleaned up??

Sun you guys had sun???? Man it poured here today allday, but we need it desperately!!!

You guys got the paint off then, fabulous!!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Sun you guys had sun???? Man it poured here today allday, but we need it desperately!!!

You guys got the paint off then, fabulous!!!!
The sun would of been yesterday. LOL. We actually got it off with purple power degreaser and a carpet brush with lots of elbow grease. Joel scrubbed it off and I got the little bits of white with some clay. Then I buffed out the scratches from the brush. Since it was about 1 in the morning when we got done were able to see if the scratches were buffed out in the sun. Also got that bulb out of the headlight. Everything checked out with the emissions. It has been pouring like crazy here all day also, dont worry you arent alone. Could be worse I think my dad said in Michigan where he is at they got 3" of snow.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM

Honestly, I didn't have a chance to see it then, cuz I went with some friends to Panama City Beach for Spring Break, but I'm pretty sure it looked good. I took it to Vance's place this past Saturday, we washed it up again. I'm just gonna make one more trip this saturday to clean up the inside.

I used my Elm Scan Tool this afternoon to double check my emissions. I might sound dumb asking this but I'm gonna ask it anyways. In OBDwiz, if you go to "Monitors", then "Monitor Tests", at the bottom it first would say this "This vehicle is not ready for emissions testing." Then I went to the upper right section under Monitor Tests where it says "US State" and I selected "NC - 2001 and newer" then at the bottom it said "This vehicle is ready for emissions testing" I kinda messed with with back and forth with the US State changing it from "None" to "NC - 2001 and newer." Everytime I put "none" it'd say at the bottom "This vehicle is not ready for emissions testing" but when I'd put "NC - 2001 and newer" it's say "This vehicle is ready for emissions testing" What's the deal with that?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Its because every state is a little different on what they check etc. So if you pick your state it will check for what that state requires to know if you are good. There are also different parameters that are considered passing for different states so its checking to see if its within those parameters for the state you have selected. When we used mine I had it already set for NC from checking my car.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:54 AM

oh...ok, so I'm good. Just making sure

Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Yep as long as it says ready for emissions testing ok when you have NC picked you are within NC parameters and should pass the emissions test.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580
Yep as long as it says ready for emissions testing ok when you have NC picked you are within NC parameters and should pass the emissions test.
It's actually a quirk in the software. If you don't pick a state, it tells you it's not ready, because of the code. I bet that car is ready to pass in any state at this point.

Take care,

George

Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Thanks George,

I was just wondering what would happen if he selected some other state.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Alright...glad to know everythings good.

By the way Rick, you never mailed me a receipt with all the details of what you did and what I paid you.

Quick Reply: 2003, 3.0, 90k "maintenance"