S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Jag S Type R Trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Jag S Type R Trans issue

I've had my 2003 Jag S type R for 1.5 years now and put roughly 15k miles on it. I am religious w/servicing and drive it pretty mildly. I am at 65k miles to date and the last time I took it to the dealer they upgraded the trans software (refresh) because I noted that it sometimes shifted a little harsh from 2nd to 3rd. Not the end of the world type stuff but I felt it. Well since they did the upgrade the car has been horrendous. As soon as I took it from the dealer it was shifting really rough from 2nd to 3rd and by the time I got home the "transmission fault" code went off on my dash. It was riding completely different when this supposedly "upgrade" was potentially helpful. I've now been told I'll need to get the transmission rebuilt. I have owned numerous exotics from Lotus to Porsche to Hummer to Lexus. I've never had a trans go at 65k miles on it. The previous owner was elderly and the car is immaculate so I can't image him abusing it. Any thoughts or similar problems? I've had 1.5 years or reliable use and roughly 15k miles put on it, but now I'm questioning if this car is for me w/such an early issue. Any thoughts, comments, etc. are appreciated. I'm not concerned financially for the fix, but it does bother me to have to do something like this w/only 65k miles on it. Thank you!

Old 04-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

WSA580 transmission?

If so, have the TCU codes cleared, then have it reset or retrained.

Another alternative is to have them flash it a second time in case they got it wrong the first time. It should have behaved no worse when you left the dealership than when you brought it in.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

No S-Type has that trans. All Rs are ZF 6HP26.

I cannot right now imagine what could be wrong. I'd take it right back and get them to read codes from BOTH the PCM (aka ECM) and TCM. Get the actual numbers, not some gobbledegook words. Post them here by all means.

Could be a chafed wire or something but the codes will be a clue.

Oh - are you 100% sure the battery is OK? They may have let it go flat and helped it die
You get crazy codes etc if the battery's less than perfect.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Seems like quite a coincidence to me. I also have a 2003 STR with 68k on it now. I just had the transmission flushed with the lifeguard fluid and it's smooth as butter except an occasional abrupt 1-2 shift, but it was just like that before the service too.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Seems like quite a coincidence to me. I also have a 2003 STR with 68k on it now. I just had the transmission flushed with the lifeguard fluid and it's smooth as butter except an occasional abrupt 1-2 shift, but it was just like that before the service too.
hmm i just passed 60 k and i have the original fluid... i have recently started getting the short/abrupt shift from 1-2...I think I will be looking into changing the fluid asap...now to find the how to guide.. I know one is on here somewhere??

Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The 1-2 shift when accelerating slowly pisses me off. It feels like a granny rice boy shift. I just turned 50K, will probably do the full tranny service at 60K.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 6,312 Likes on 5,499 Posts

Originally Posted by fergs03R
hmm i just passed 60 k and i have the original fluid... i have recently started getting the short/abrupt shift from 1-2...I think I will be looking into changing the fluid asap...now to find the how to guide.. I know one is on here somewhere??
Take a look in the FAQ's

The following users liked this post:
fergs03R (04-21-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I hate the way mine shifts at slow speed from 1-2 it drives me crazy. Other than that it shifts smooth as butter.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 03 STR is getting a transmission fluid change next week. Bought the kit, screws and sealing sleeve from Calif Transmission Supply. tried FAQ and "Searc" juts where is the TSB or summary for the fluid change proceedure. My copy of the shop guide is in the mail..hope it gets here soon
Phil in Tenn
03 STR
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
75 Lotus

Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 6,312 Likes on 5,499 Posts
Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Default Update

OK, 2 other opinions and the same thing is coming up w/the diagnostic... failing internal components in the transmission. I have it being rebuilt as we speak. I just can't believe these tranny's go at 65k miles. I love the look and power of this car, but I may have to stick to Japanese in the future. I bought my girlfriend an Acura TL about a year ago. The car has 115k miles and everything original. It has been an absolute pleasure to own

Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,369 Likes on 1,867 Posts

You are very unlucky. We have a Jaguar tech who posts here as Brutal. He has said the ZF box is rock solid and he has seen very few need repair. The "Lurch" is the biggest problem and effects pretty much all the cars with this ZF transmission. BMW,Audi, Jaguar....

Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpetreeko
OK, 2 other opinions and the same thing is coming up w/the diagnostic... failing internal components in the transmission. I have it being rebuilt as we speak. I just can't believe these tranny's go at 65k miles.
They don't go at 65K miles.

Maybe yours did - if the shop is right. Let's hope so.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:29 AM

I'm feeling you guys. I did my research before buying this car w/mostly positive reviews. I did not hear of this type of trans going so early. The only other thing I've had to replace w/this car is all 4 02 sensors and a hose to the radiator had a pinhole in it. It's been extremely reliable the last 1.5 yrs and roughly 15k miles. This trans issue is my only complaint. 3 different shops came up w/the same conclusion so I'm confident that this is the issue and I'm just getting it taken care of. I was going to buy my girlfriend an 05/06 x-type because I love the look of the car, but I'm definitely second guessing now. Thank you everyone for the reply's!

Old 04-23-2011, 04:00 AM

The ZF trans is very reliable, it's too bad yours had issues. My good friend had a TL Type S that had the transmission fail before 40k miles. It was under warranty at the time, but still.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Default Something else may be wrong

Just posting an update on the trans... it is being rebuilt at a local AAMCO. Basically the trans looked pretty good but the clutch plates were a little burnt. Now everything was put back together and it's shifting normal under normal circumstances. When they are going on the gas hard it's getting stuck sometimes in higher rpms instead of shifting. I've been told it may need a new throttle body if the software update does not do the trick. I am still relatively new to Jaguar, but is it normal for a 2003 S Type R to have the tranny and throttle body go at only 65k miles? I know all pre-owned cars have some risk, but it seems like them both going seems premature. Any thoughts?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Just posting an update on the trans... it is being rebuilt at a local AAMCO. Basically the trans looked pretty good but the clutch plates were a little burnt. Now everything was put back together and it's shifting normal under normal circumstances. When they are going on the gas hard it's getting stuck sometimes in higher rpms instead of shifting. I've been told it may need a new throttle body if the software update does not do the trick. I am still relatively new to Jaguar, but is it normal for a 2003 S Type R to have the tranny and throttle body go at only 65k miles? I know all pre-owned cars have some risk, but it seems like them both going seems premature. Any thoughts?
I haven't been here all that long, but aside from the lurching issues the ZF trans seems very reliable. I did have my throttle body rebuilt when I got my car. It was running fine but kept throwing codes. I had it rebuilt for about $300 with a lifetime warranty, so it's not that big of a deal to fix. It takes about a week to send it and get it back. Here are some threads if you need to rebuild it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...4-39879/page2/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-47121/page2/

Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Aamco is bad, very bad. Make sure you pay with a credit card that is good at fighting for you on chargebacks. My brother had a simple Ford AOD rebuilt and they managed to screw that up. Can't imagine a ZF trans.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Aamco is bad, very bad.
i would say it depends on who is doing the rebuild.

I know a few Best Buy car audio installers who are very good at what they do, however they deal with the stigma that ALL best buy installers are 18 year old kids who know nothing.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Sorry to hear of your tranny troubles. Every once in a while my 03 STR will do the same thing - it will stick a bit at high RPM. Nudge or blip the throttle and release and it shifts just fine. I do not believe these are failure prone transmissions, but they are still a mechanical item and unfortunately not every single one will be build perfectly or experience the same variables.

I just had my tranny fluid changed and the pan gasket replaced at 25k miles, I have not noticed the RPM "stick" since the change....hmmm...although it has only been a week and a half.

Quick Reply: 2003 Jag S Type R Trans issue