S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S-T-R I need a connector Jaguar wants to sell me the WHOLE wiring harness!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2003 S-T-R I need a connector Jaguar wants to sell me the WHOLE wiring harness!!!

While troubleshooting a problem on my 2003 S type R (see my other post) I found that the Throttle Body electrical connector from the wiring harness was broken. To be exact the tab that locks it in place is broken off.

So I went to my nearest Jaguar Parts store to get a new one. The gentlemen behind the counter told me that I would need TO BUY THE WHOLE ENGINE WIRING HARNESS! they don't sell just the connector.

Does anyone know a connector that is the same size from Ford or anywhere else that I could buy? Right now I have plastic ties holding it in place and some electrical tape to seal it so that no moister gets in.

Here is a picture of the connector:

Attached Thumbnails 2003 S-T-R I need a connector Jaguar wants to sell me the WHOLE wiring harness!!!-dsc00400.jpg  
Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Your best bet is find someone parting out a totaled car. There are usually at least 3 on craigslist down here. I don't know about your area. If I get bored at work today I'll call a couple of the listing and see how much they want for the plug.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 PM

DanielSatur - If I glue in the connector how would it be pulled out if the Throttle body needs to be worked on? I have some black silicon sealant I could use. But if I could find a replacement connector it would be a better fix.

Another option would be to cut out the connector and bring it to a junk yard and see if they have the same type from Ford that I could then splice into the harness...that's another option.

By the way this connector may have been my problem with the limp mode since after putting the plastic tie and electrical tape now the car works normally, I guess it just needed time.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Gessie - don't be hard on Jaguar (at least, not this time), as they just can't stock every little thing someone might need. The cheap way is probably a wrecker or if you can find one at an electrical parts shop or parts supplier.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Try to find a part number on the actual connector. I can try to cross reference it with the connectors we supply here. I try to keep where I work out of this but in this case I'll try. Since we are a OEM supplier I don't have a "parts" list like an auto parts store would have. But, I can try. Also, post a couple of pictures of the connector and it's mating socket. Also, Eric and JagV8 are correct that the easiest thing to do in this case would be to go to a breaker and see if they even have an engine harness that they are willing to cut up. I'm sure you want to stay away from used parts, but in this case it may be the easiest option.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:15 PM

JPsworth I'll try to see if it has a part # I just hope it's not on the part that broke off. I'm also going to look for all the junk yards around here and see if one may have a wiring harness that he is willing to cut the connector from. I'll also try to take a close-up picture.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

trust me when I say tie strap it on. I have to occasionaly do this since the pastic locks break easily. But to silicone them on says FU to the next guy to work on it and you may be the next guy. There is not reppeatability with silicone and after you disconnect it, you may never get it to stay on again with silicone and almost impossible to clean

Old 10-21-2009, 08:25 AM

BRUTAL I did use plastic ties to hold it in securely as possible and electrical tape around it. Do you think that is good enough to keep moister out?

Also do you believe that this could have caused the LIMP Mode? If you read my other thread it went away after I did this fix, but how can I be sure.

By the way would you know of any Ford connectors that could be the same fit that I could buy to replace it.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Gessie
BRUTAL I did use plastic ties to hold it in securely as possible and electrical tape around it. Do you think that is good enough to keep moister out?

Also do you believe that this could have caused the LIMP Mode? If you read my other thread it went away after I did this fix, but how can I be sure.

By the way would you know of any Ford connectors that could be the same fit that I could buy to replace it.
ABSULTY THIS CAN MAKE YOU GO IN RESTRICTED PERF/LIMP HOME. AND YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MOISTURE IN IT SINCE THE CONNECTOR HAS A SILICONE RUBBER SEAL INSIDE IT(UNLESS YOU PULLED IT OUT) TO KEEP MOISTURE OUT. AND YES THE COIL CONNECTORS AND THE TB CONNECTORS ARE THE WORSE OFFENDERS WITH THE CONNECTOR LOCKS BREAKING, AND THE MOST IMPORTANT FOR DRIVEABITLY. LIKE I SAID I HAVE BEEN ON THE RECEIVING END OF SOMEONE USING SILICONE TO HOLD A CONNETOR ON SOMETHING(COILS) AND IT WAS DONE HERE. i WENT DOWN AND HAD HIM COME DOWN AND CLEAN IT ALL OFF SO I COULD REPLACE COILS AND THE TIE STRAP THE CONNECTORS ON. THE SILICONE WORKED FINE TILL I NEEDED TO TAKE IT OFF, THEN IT ACTUALLY WOULD KEEP THE CONNECTOR FROM SEATING AGAIN AFTER IT WAS TAKEN APART.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:40 PM

BRUTAL thanks for the feedback. At this time I think I'll leave well enough alone and see if I get the LIMP mode again.

Again thanks for the input and by the way I did your headlight fix and it's great to see the road since I got the car 2 years ago.