S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S type 2.5v6 engine swap to 3.0v6 (ECU Swap too)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 04:06 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 2003 S type 2.5v6 engine swap to 3.0v6 (ECU Swap too)

Hello!

Sorry for opening up a discussion that im sure im not the first to ask about, but i told myself that i should probably get some new info.

So apparently my engine is letting exhaust gases into the cooling system and could be anything from the headgasket to the heads themselves.
my car is a 2003, 2.5v6, zf6hp26 transmssion
I have a friend with a spare 3.0v6 s type, same year/model, that is giving me all the parts i need to swap my engine, so i dont have to fix mine.
Therefore i want to swap my 2.5v6 with the 3.0v6 and i want to confirm with you guys all the parts that i need, especially since the ECU must be swapped too:
-engine
-harness
-3.0 ecu
-immobilizer
-ignition + keys
-cluster

is the door module necessary? does the ZF transmission TCM need to be paired?
Any other pairing module that i need to replace so the car will start? Can ECUs be swapped without programming if the aforementioned parts are replaced too?

Many thanks!

Last edited by elDariusVargas; 10-08-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,942 Posts

At best it's a terrible idea. Don't even think about this unless you are VERY skilled with SDD. Do you have SDD?
These cars are very cheap and you will spend a whole lot of money doing what you want to do and the car still won't be worth anything.

Consider instead buying the car you want and selling your old one off for parts or scrap.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:09 AM

As an update to my 2.5 to 3.0 swap: COMPLETE SUCCESS

Reason: exhaust gases in my coolant. I dont care if its the heads or the gaskets, when this happens i suggest a swap since it can be a crack in the block.

Firstly, i bought the AJ30 engine for $200, works perfectly, without the camshaft issues. - another reason for the swap: its cheap considering how many salvaged s types are there.

This is the first engine i pull out of a vehicle. It's true, i understand mechanics, so it was doable for me - i dix it myself so it's for free)

my car is a 2003 2.5 stype. engine donator is a 2003 3.0 stype - compatibility is key. not necessarily the same year but the closer the better.

there is no need to swap anything else besides the engine, as it will work with the 2.5 ecu as a 2.5 liter one. If you want, you can flash the ecu with the 3.0 map, then it will work as a 3 liter engine. you can use a jaguar software for that. they are called Jag iDS or SDD if im not mistaken. or you cad do what i will do: visit a tuner. i will probably do that remap process as i have a bigger airfilter and high flow exhausts so it needs tuning. i hope i can hit 260 horses.

I was successful in my operation without any special tools, but an engine crane & a jaguar sdd.
Make sure you get the other parts just in case you need them:
-harness, ecu, driver's door module, ignition, key, cluster.

Thanks to all the kind people that helped me give functionality to my s type for just $200.
i would like to thank me for the fun 6 days of work.

Nunca hay que rendirse en lo que quieres obtener

Last edited by elDariusVargas; 10-14-2021 at 06:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by elDariusVargas:
Norri (10-14-2021), rocket11 (12-24-2021), User 42324 (12-27-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 07:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, for one, am so happy for you! I am glad you decided to go forward with the swap, but I would definitely reprogram that ECU sooner than later. Good luck to you and congratulations!

Old 12-24-2021, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by rocket11
I, for one, am so happy for you! I am glad you decided to go forward with the swap, but I would definitely reprogram that ECU sooner than later. Good luck to you and congratulations!
thank you very much 😎
do you happen to know a essy way of doing it. Im trying different methods right now, but any clues are welcome

Old 01-02-2022, 06:21 PM

Sorry for the second post, i wanted to conclude the operation

UPDATE PLEASE PIN THE UPDATE
complete success:

i am running the 3.0 ECU from the donator car, with my original clusters, alarm module and keys.

i had someone reprogram its immobilizer for me.

its better than trying to remap the 2.5 one
especially if you have an automatic transmission.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great news! I apologize for missing your last post, I was wrapped up in solving my own xtype problems. After replacing a bad generator, my battery finally went (was over 9 years old!) and so I got a misfire and after replacing the battery, the misfire remained. Then it wouldn't even run at all. After much research and diagnosing, I found a blown coils fuse, and replaced that, and again it was missing. So I removed the plenum (just enough to lift one side so I could leave the coolant lines to the intake attached) and found I had a bad coil. While in there I replaced those 3 plugs, which were all badly fouled now, and put it back together to get a puuurrrring Cat! Very happy. But still need to fix the rain water issue. Going to double side tape the plastic at the windshields bottom and hopefully that will fix the water getting to the ECU harness.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by rocket11
That's great news! I apologize for missing your last post, I was wrapped up in solving my own xtype problems. After replacing a bad generator, my battery finally went (was over 9 years old!) and so I got a misfire and after replacing the battery, the misfire remained. Then it wouldn't even run at all. After much research and diagnosing, I found a blown coils fuse, and replaced that, and again it was missing. So I removed the plenum (just enough to lift one side so I could leave the coolant lines to the intake attached) and found I had a bad coil. While in there I replaced those 3 plugs, which were all badly fouled now, and put it back together to get a puuurrrring Cat! Very happy. But still need to fix the rain water issue. Going to double side tape the plastic at the windshields bottom and hopefully that will fix the water getting to the ECU harness.
im glad you've figured out both the generator and coils. I've heard they are common issues.
youve got weight that off your shoulders!

While reading about ECU swaps, most of the people did it on X types since they were experiencing this water issue. With the TCM module too!

On my S type, the modules are not that exposed, but i too have had this major leak problem in between the cowl and the windshield.
Literally, i had water dripping on my engine harness.

what i did is, i took some household window or door frame 1cm wide insulator (its great cause it only sticks on one side, and has multiple ridges on the other).

I ran it underneath the cowl, from one end to the other, at the exact edge of the windscreen.
since it isnt double adesive you can always remove te cowl.
thickness is around 3 or 4 mm so the cowl edge manages to seal against it.

Plus, i saw another topic where they used silicone, they have also created another "wall" of silicone to direct eater into the left and right drain holes.

ill put the link and a picture here, maybe it helps in your case

Credit goes to eds123 , who did it the silicone way:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ode-fix-61201/