S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S-type 4.2 Rear Shelf Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2003 S-type 4.2 Rear Shelf Removal

My questions actually revolve around the need to replace the Reverse Park Control Speaker (Jag # C2B2421)

I see quite a few posts, but not the answer to my questions. Seems all the conversations drift away from the Topic without a solution or are centered on the Speaker without solution as to how to get to it.

I have isolated the problem to the Speaker. The Sensors seem to be working (continuous ticking to the ear). The Module is transmitting pulse according to my voltmeter. The Speaker is silent. I'd test it if I could 1) get to it and 2) find it.

I have removed the felt liner in the trunk (boot) and can see nothing. I have gotten the first part of the rear shelf removed, but can not figure out how it is removed.

I have read (somewhere) that you have to remove the seats, but I do not see how they are connected in any way to the rear shelf - and can not figure out what is keeping the shelf in place with the bolts and screws removed.

I continue to search for a factory manual or some guidance as to how to deal with removal of the shelf with no success.

Finally, with what I can see with my Probe Flextube Camera, I don't even see the speaker. Is it actually in the center of the shelf as the image shows?

Attached Thumbnails 2003 S-type 4.2 Rear Shelf Removal-rpc-control-components.jpg   2003 S-type 4.2 Rear Shelf Removal-20151106_165824.jpg  
Old 11-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSTR

1) Fold down the seats.
2) Pull out the tan pin things in the front of the tray.
3) Remove the covers of the child seat tie down hooks.
4) Remove the three 10mm bolts holding the hooks in.
5) Swing the two bolsters on either side of the seat out of the way by using the release levers behind the top of the bolsters.
6) Remove the c-pillar trim pieces by gently pulling them along the outside edges.
7) Pull the package tray towards the front of the car.

Excellent response!

What I would add is to be gentle as you pull they tray out as there is a wire harness that connects to the center brake light.

Also, the C-Pillar trim pieces remove much easier than they reinstall. Other than figuring out how to remove the tray itself [thank you whiteSTR], this was the most difficult part of the replacement of the Backup/Reverse Speaker.

Helps to be really agile/flexible and about 3 feet tall too

Old 11-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

Also just to add , if tv is fitted there is a antenna splitter box on l/h c pillar beside the top seat belt mount , one 10mm bolt and one 10mm nut that must be removed first before moving the shelf . And if you have the retractable sun blind you must push upwards from under the two motors from under the parcel tray befor sliding it forward ,

Old 12-21-2022, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Datsports
Also just to add , if tv is fitted there is a antenna splitter box on l/h c pillar beside the top seat belt mount , one 10mm bolt and one 10mm nut that must be removed first before moving the shelf . And if you have the retractable sun blind you must push upwards from under the two motors from under the parcel tray before sliding it forward ,
Hi. I am in the process of this to replace my rear Subs however I have his a snag. The motors for the sunblind will nor clear the brackets that hold the axillary seatbelt mount's on the rear shelf. No matter how hard up and forward on the motors from underneath (without breaking something, possibly the rear window) it the motors will not clear the brackets and the shelf is jammed. Any advice?
Leigh.

Old 12-22-2022, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

if I remember . It took some pressure to pop the motors up out of their hole . And the same to get them back down . Maybe have a second person in the cabin to Ange te front of the shelf up at the same time .
I remember it was a PITA to get out .